Symphobia - have it, amazing

Well, a bad thing for you since your competition will be producing music far more epic and realistic than yours in a fraction of the time.

It might be epic, it might be realistic, and it might be done in an hour, but it is far from being good, original, thoughtful music unique to the composer. In many respects you can consider this library an alternative to licensing existing music as it gives sound designers free reign to sound like Media Ventures without actually having to hire Media Ventures.

Proto - Morricone is an absolute genius in every respect... agree 100%. Ecstacy is my favorite piece of film music ever written I think. Also, I second that if any of you have not seen or heard the man with no name trilogy... just buy em... breathtaking. Also agree with you about film goers and gamers. Why do you think brian tylers score for Rambo melted down into guitar powerchords with the strings playing open fifths? To please the audience even though some of us would prefer the late Jerry Goldsmiths more emotional and subtle action writing. If you really want into this industry... keep swinging and never give up. If a hack like me can make it, you can to... just dont get scared away because of the constant barriage of rejection that happens to us all. Also don't be scared to sound like the other guy if you're paid well enough to do so. :razz:

Sil - Music is unfortunately not unique for the most part when it comes to game music, we're largely paid to immitate. Can't tell you how many times I've had a producer tell me, "listen to this soundtrack, this is what we want". If you stray too far from that formula they want to hear you're replaced. Hell, this happens all the time in film too... a director will temp track something into the film and asks the composer to follow it so closely its tough to tell the difference. Just listen to Chris Youngs Hard Rain score (great score by the way), and you'll hear hints of Die Hard and Aliens all over the place that are remenants of the temp track. Same goes for Tremors, that composer almost utilized Kamens "Snowmobile Chase" cue from Die Hard 2 note for note in a couple of scenes. Now there are exceptions to this... Jesper Kyd comes to mind but even is signature electronic sound doesnt always fit a project. But listen to the top composers such as Inon Zur and Jeremy Soule... yeah their music definitely kicks more than a little ass, but it has the same vibe at times that other composers already laid the groundwork for and those guys are paid exceptionally well. If a composer wants to attempt to lay the groundwork for a new type of sound.. he might be replaced. Could this change? Sure, and it might now that games have surpassed how much money movies make. Games are being pushed more towards art everyday and if they eventually are accepted as art.. the music can and will have to change, we'll have to see. But for now it's the producers way... or the highway... end of story.

Rich

I would rather have every other sample library out there than have symphobia. It's over simplicity just doesn't really fit into the way I write or mix.

I would rather work harder to write subtlety and detail into my music than lumbering brass stabs.

Like I said, if I had it, I would probably use it for beefing up sections, but I just like having more control over my ensembles, my tuttis, and my harmonic arrangement.

I also like having control over the spatial arrangement of my virtual stage, which I don't think can be done with symphobia.

As far as my merit vs my establishment...

Well, all of my sitting down and learning the more complicated instrument libraries gave me a chance to work for Richard Jacques on his score for Highlander: The Game. You can listen for my contribution when you fight your way through Pompei.

I'm definitely not established, but I am thankful that having expert knowledge of the more sophisticated sample libraries got me paid work and a great AAA credit and a nice personal connection to boot.

Cheers,