OCR01743 - Doom II "Crushing Headache"

djpretzel

Now that I've listened to this quietly, I'm realizing this needs to be turned UP in order to get the effect. Theremin's also add 50 points to any mix they're included in. Don't ask what the points are for, though.

The bass line gets repetative, nothing that can be done about it. I can't say this is a track that I would listen to for fun. By the end I felt that nothing had really happened.

I do enjoy the industrial feel of it, and I can definately imagine blasting this in my car. Not my type of mix, but I can see why others would enjoy it, and I do enjoy the percussion.

One of my favorite mixes from the project; still keeps the original Doom flavor, but really cranks it up a couple notches. I especially dig that the hint of the slap bass is still there, although chopped up and distorted a bit.

This overall buildup and form flows very well too; the mix is a nice length overall without feeling like it drags or gets boring - sometimes a tricky thing to do with a Doom 2 tune. :)

• 2 weeks later...

This really keeps up the Doom feel, and has some nice additions to the lackluster source tune. The sound is sparse and clean in a way that really emphasizes each part.

There is a great percussive feel, and a very grooving swagger. The beats are easily the strong point, and the synths really seems to seep through the cracks of the drums and bass. The sound effects were well chosen and enhanced the mood really well. The way they were used rhythmically was excellent.

It's funny that I credit TO for showing me how to appreciate music from Doom, but when the source is so bad, and the end result is so good, i'm not sure it has as much to do with making the Doom music sound good, but more of TO's skill at work.

Respect.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with Bahamut, this one didn't strike me as "amazing" like it seems to have with the other remixers. It's got a great soundscape and the percussive elements were done well, but the bass progression seems like the central focus of the song when you're not using it as background music and I think it's a bit too repetitive. Whatever happened around 3:00 made me start liking the song a lot more... I'm not sure why :-P

Dunno, the production quality on this one is high and most of the elements work well for creating background music. Not bad, and it definitely has that DOOM feel to it, so I guess... mission accomplished :razz:

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01743 - Doom II "Crushing Headache"