Wii Hack allows DVD Playback

Xenon Odyssey

At last the Wii can join everyone else who had a last-generation console.

There! FIXED!!!!

... if it is as easy as just allowing support like this, it's amazing Nintendo wouldn't just make a DVD Playback Channel for purchase especially if people are clamoring for it.

There is one thing that I've learned over the years as a Nintendo customer ...

I will never understand Nintendo. Never in my entire lifetime. They make gobs of money, and I'm left scratching my head sometimes at their decisions, but hey, I guess they know what they're doing.

That's a cool little hack though. :)

I will never understand Nintendo. Never in my entire lifetime. They make gobs of money, and I'm left scratching my head sometimes at their decisions, but hey, I guess they know what they're doing.

Its the japanese; it never makes sense. That's why its so damn good! :<

I could understand why they didn't allow it with the Gamecube (different discs, even though it could technically play them), but I didn't and don't think there is a reason why Nintendo didn't allow this capability in the Wii.

Royalties to the DVD Consortum - I think it's like $20 per machine that can play DVDs? Also, it dilutes Nintendo's message, that their machine is purely for gaming, not for extragaming entertainment.

Royalties to the DVD Consortum - I think it's like $20 per machine that can play DVDs? Also, it dilutes Nintendo's message, that their machine is purely for gaming, not for extragaming entertainment.

The funny thing is, extragaming entertainment is exactly where they seem to be headed.

it's funny because nintendo said when they were going to release the special edition Wii that plays DVDs, they had to sell an entirely new system because the DVD functionality couldn't simply be written into it but instead physically

so they basically lied to everyone for money

I've been loyal to nintendo most of my life but I must say they are starting to 'bastardize' as a crazy man next to me puts it

The wii is getting greater and greater with homebrew. But as other said, I'm scratching my head too for all the things Nintendo doesn't do (not specifically DVD playback, like Bahamut said).

I wonder how far the wii can get hacked (and not bricked along the way).

I could understand why they didn't allow it with the Gamecube (different discs, even though it could technically play them), but I didn't and don't think there is a reason why Nintendo didn't allow this capability in the Wii.

qimage480pf6.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panasonic_Q

Ah, the beauties of signing agreements.