OCR01744 - Dragon Warrior "Overture Variations"

djpretzel

(...)we can be party to one of Kevin's ReMix reviews that's actually non-douchey! YES! :tomatoface:

Am I really that notorious? I think I'll take it as a compliment - and I'm trying to just keep my negative opinions to myself now. It's caused me nothing but trouble (and now I'm known for being an asshole and Pretzel probably wants me dead!) :D

BUT that aside, this piece is the usual Patrick Waters brilliance. I'm surprised it took so long to get posted here, really. The samples don't really show off the arrangement in the way it needs to be heard, but you can still tell how fantastic this is. Real attention to detail and Waters' knowledge of composition techniques are just so apparent. And his use of the samples is really good - he pushes them to their limits.

I really love the build to the climax, because when it releases, it's just glorious.

And I would like to echo all of the other sentiments - this needs a live performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Very distinct, and pretty creative work. You really have to listen close for all the textures to be apparent, and this isn't one you can really get into the first time through. After repeat listens, however, it's pretty apparent that this works very well.

Samples are decent, but are very clean, which doesn't obstruct at all. I'd say it's a strength, since all the parts are very audible.

Nice work. :-)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, this would go a long way to strengthening the Dragon Warrior/Quest atmosphere if it was used in game. It has a really authentic sound (despite some of the samples not being meticulously realistic) and captures that whole chamber orchestra movement style that I have a fondness for. It's extremely different from all of the other orchestral offerings; restrained, varied and well-paced. I particularly admire the amount of material that is fit into the rather modest 4:23 running time. There's a lot to enjoy with this mix; it's a novelty piece but one that explores an area of music previously unrepresented. All in all, pretty damned classy.

• 6 years later...

The samples make it sound about 6 years older than it is, but they are still used well. The frantic part is a nice contrast; it came just as I was starting to tire of the mix. But then again, I am not crazy for woodwind pieces in the first place. The last minute is particularly good. Decent mix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01744 - Dragon Warrior "Overture Variations"