Donkey Kong Country 4 possibility

KillBill16

Well, heck, I didn't hear about it. And I don't know anybody else that heard about it either.

The DKC fanboy in me wants to get all hyped and whatnot. But the cynic in me feels that without Rare, there never will be a game good enough to call Donkey Kong Country 4... :(

Well, heck, I didn't hear about it. And I don't know anybody else that heard about it either.

The DKC fanboy in me wants to get all hyped and whatnot. But the cynic in me feels that without Rare, there never will be a game good enough to call Donkey Kong Country 4... :(

Yea because Rare has released nothing but awesome games since microsoft bought them, right?

But they were obviously the masters of the DKC development. Also, they are still a pretty decent development team, though they lost a lot of the star talent that used to be there.

I really have no real hope on this one unfortunately. Nintendo doesn't even make great 2D platformers anymore and even the Sonic Advance/Rush series seems to have surpassed 2D Nintendo platformers of the last few years. Also, their heavy emphasis on easy difficulty nowadays won't jive with the steeper difficulty curve of the DKC games. I have a feeling they're going to totally mangle it and sell it for the kiddies.

I have a feeling they're going to totally mangle it and sell it for the kiddies.

That's very sad but true.

Solution: Get Free Radical to help make it. Their games are usually for older demographics anyway, but more importantly, it is undeniably obvious that most of them are still obsessed with monkeys (although I guess it is technically true that most of them probably joined Rare after the DKC series...)

But then it just hit me. They would probably do to Donkey Kong what Sonic Team did to Shadow. So... nevermind.

No, the most recent one was DK Jungle Beat, an awesome and extremely underrated gamecube game that's probably more fun than any of the DKC games. This is excluding DK King of Swing, which is more like a action-puzzler than a platformer.

Seriously, it's sad that people are begging for another DKC when they haven't even played Jungle Beat.

No, the most recent one was DK Jungle Beat, an awesome and extremely underrated gamecube game that's probably more fun than any of the DKC games. This is excluding DK King of Swing, which is more like a action-puzzler than a platformer.

Seriously, it's sad that people are begging for another DKC when they haven't even played Jungle Beat.

Jungle beat was in no way a platformer. It was like DDR for black people.

Also, their heavy emphasis on easy difficulty nowadays won't jive with the steeper difficulty curve of the DKC games. I have a feeling they're going to totally mangle it and sell it for the kiddies.

DKC games, difficult? We must have played different games. DKC 2 and 3 were pretty easy to get through, even for total completion. I can't say much for the 1st game since I haven't played it in so long, though.

I have a feeling they're going to totally mangle it and sell it for the kiddies.

This is pretty much guaranteed. Just look at some of the Donkey Kong stages from other games, most notably being Double Dash (and later Wii), where the Donkey Kong stage features a volcano with a big angry face. That's so out of place for Donkey Kong it's ridiculous.

The odds of me seeing alligators with ridiculous his, razor sharp teeth, and a well done Candy Kong as slim to none :(

Plus, I mean...that soundtrack.

Glitch, why do you make it so painfully obvious that you are constantly spewing "facts" about things you know nothing about?

I mean, you could leave it a mystery.

How can a game with bongos be a platformer. Thats really all I want to know.

EDIT: So it was Donkey Konga that had the bongo playing, Jungle Beat just feature use of the bongos. I apologize for my ignorance.

Jungle beat was in no way a platformer. It was like DDR for black people.

No, professor, what you're talking about is called DK Bongo Blast. DK Jungle Beat is an action platformer played with the same bongo controllers. And no, I don't know any black people who owned either of the games.

Don't get me wrong, I love Donkey Kong Country. I've owned all three for years. I watched the Nintendo Power video a year before I finally owned the first game. I still love all three of them, but I bought DK Jungle Beat after my girlfriend played it at a Gamestop, and we both have more fun playing it than any Donkey Kong Country game. If you're a true Donkey Kong fan, you will go buy Jungle Beat. It's twenty bucks, and that is a complete steal.

Yea because Rare has released nothing but awesome games since microsoft bought them, right?

Oh no, I'm not saying that. I was completely underwhelmed by Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Kameo (but I liked the Conker remake for Xbox). I'm just saying that Rare was the one that made the first 3 DKCs. A fourth one wouldn't have the same feeling without them. But, that is assuming that even Rare could make a good DKC game anymore. Can they? Who can say? Their track record has become rather poor at the moment.

DKC games, difficult? We must have played different games. DKC 2 and 3 were pretty easy to get through, even for total completion. I can't say much for the 1st game since I haven't played it in so long, though.

I still wouldn't say it's exactly easy. Maybe moderately difficult for good gamers? It's at least a step above in difficulty compared to most Mario games (except for a few really tricky levels in SMB3, SMW and SMW2).

I wouldn't be surprised if this was another one of those retro VC wiiware titles like Megaman 9, or a DS game with gimmicky touchscreen controls.

Ridiculously annoying touchscreen controlled bonus rooms anyone?

Well whatever said announced 2D Donkey Kong game is going to be, I'll at least check it out.

I think, for me, the only way a DKC4 could work is if the theme was closer to the first's.

While I love DKC3 to death, it felt so far away from the DKC world I came to love in the first and even second game, making it feel somwhat non-DK like. The enemies in DKC3 felt a bit like dumbed down creatures, and didn't seem all too connected to K.Rool.

Still, it built on a working formula and added just enough new things to keep it fresh, without completely making it into a new game altogether (which is good).

They'd definitely need the good ol' Rare team back, assuming they can still come up with a solid DKC game. What happened to Donkey Kong after DKC is just...awfull in my opinion.

That said, what would a new DKC need in order to be good and fit in with the other 3 games?

Isn't the series just perfect the way it is and shouldn't we just keep enjoying those games instead? I know I've been doing so for a decade now; not many games have that kind of staying power. Especially in this generation.

That's it. I'm taking my DKC games out of the closet, and I'm getting Jungle Beat back from my brother. They're just too fun. I don't know why anyone would think DKC is awful. It's excellent platforming fun and the music and graphics are awesome.