Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Sinewav

I actually saw this recently, and I expected it to suck massively. I'm pleased to say that I actually enjoyed it very much.

The cheesy announcer and the cartoony character modeling style gives off a bad first impression, but if you can get past that without writing off the movie completely, it gets much better. Obviously, this is marketed towards kids more than anyone else, and surprisingly this is actually turns out to be a good discussion IMO. One of the more interesting characters is Anakin's padawan who kinda reminds me of Jade and Batgirl from Jackie Chan Adventures and the most recent Batman cartoon respectively.

I think the biggest thing this movie improves upon from the new trilogy is that it actually has a pretty decent sense of humor. Anakin and his padawan do a lot of bickering that is actually somewhat reminiscent of the old Star Wars movies. In that regard, I think a lot of the movie's charm is that it doesn't take itself too seriously like the last two did (and the one before it overdid the humor).

Anywho, this is actually a movie I'd be willing to see again, which is unusual for me. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of wannabe movie critics out there who rag on it for all the obvious reasons, but if you go into the theater with an open mind and a positive demeanor towards Saturday morning cartoons, I think you'll find you enjoy it more than expected.

Did anyone else see this? Thoughts?

You know what, fuck Star Wars, I'm done with this shit.

Last good movie was Empire anyway.

It's clear now that the Star Wars-verse has dramatically shifted focus in who its intended audience is (from The 12-21 year old demo of the originals to the 3-12 year old demo of the new stuff).

Just like Sonic, I am no longer apart of the target audience for Star Wars, and I'm not gonna waste my time with it anymore.

Star Wars SFX remains. Music? ... expect something different from the norm (rock-type music should not be in Star Wars). Especially the intro...

Nonetheless, it was enjoyable for battle sequences. Considering the movie was originally an afterthought from the show's production, and that with the way it played it, I'm gonna assume for now that the show will be better.

I went to see the first showing of it, naturally. "Different" is definitely the word I'd use for it, and I agree the target audience was a bit younger this time. The dialogue could've been executed better, though I've come to expect that from these movies now. Overall, I enjoyed it, but I agree with DarkeSword: this is better off as a TV show. The fact that it was only about an hour and a half long didn't help that perception.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but I agree with DarkeSword: this is better off as a TV show. The fact that it was only about an hour and a half long didn't help that perception.

That's because they just took the first three episodes of the new TV series and decided to turn them into a movie.

I was somewhat interested in seeing this in theaters until I saw that TV commercial with the burping baby hutt. I probably will watch it when it airs on Cartoon Network, though.

The cartoon made by the Power Puff Girls creator was way better. WAY better.

Also, why are they so stuck on that one episode of the movies? Too much Clone Wars material... How about something in the latter episodes? Or are they too worried about the retroactive continuity since there most probably will be a new trilogy eventually?

Also, why are they so stuck on that one episode of the movies? Too much Clone Wars material... How about something in the latter episodes? Or are they too worried about the retroactive continuity since there most probably will be a new trilogy eventually?

Mostly because until now, the Clone Wars was untouchable by EU writers - it was Lucas's private little playground, and all that could be mentioned was clones, war, jedi, and mental instability.

Now that this new vista has been opened up, folks be jumping on it.

Also, new trilogy should either cover Bane or Thrawn. And by Thrawn, I mean all six book titles. So more of a hexology than a trilogy, but minor detail.

When I heard a new star wars movie was coming out, I felt joy of joys.

Then I heard it was all CGI.

Personally, I don't want to see a star wars movie without an actual actor. Plus, the poor humor I've seen in commercials further cemented my decision no to see this movie.

I liked Indy 4. It certainly wasn't my favorite movie, but I thought I got my money's worth out of it. I didn't believe that Lucas was done yet. This, however... I don't know, it just seems like a weak attempt at trying to appeal to the whole market at once - excluding the star wars nerds, or even fans. This movie doesn't even warrant a rental for me. Come on, resorting to burp jokes? Lmao.

Sorry if I sound like a biased dick.

I agree... why not focus in between episodes 3 and 4? It would be pretty sweet to see vader hunt the remaining jedi down and start kicking ass.

I personally think they could turn a few of those graphic novels into movies. Those two brothers who accidently saved Boba Fett from the Sarlacc? Awesome. "Boba Fett does not scream like a little girl."

Or that fight between Darth Maul and Darth Vader. Cloned by the old Sith Lords, he is sent to replace Vader, as it is believed that he is not strong enough (not enough hate) to carry on as the new Sith Lord under Darth Sidious. The fight is incredible, taking the two of them down to a lava pit. The whole scenery is very reminiscent of Anakin's final fight with Obi-wan. Complete, absolute irony.

Vader spends most of the fight trying to keep his ground, while Maul bounces around and kicks Vader's ass with his Sith-Fu. Finally, he moves in for the kill when he knocks Vader's lightsaber out of his hands. At the last second, Vader pulls his weapon back to his hands and reverse-thrusts Maul right in the same damn spot that slew Master Qui-Gon. With his dying breath, Darth Maul asks Vader what he could possibly hate enough to kill him. Vader simply replies, "Myself."

It was one of the most awe-inspiring stories I've ever read.

Actually, Tartakovsky created Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack. He wasn't the creator of the Powerpuff Girls, though he did work on the show. Also, that Clone Wars cartoon was kick-ass.

Anyway, I want Lucas to stay the hell out of movies, especially if he makes a new trilogy. If they make the Thrawn Trilogy into movies, they need to have someone else actually do the work. You know, someone who doesn't throw CGI at everything and expect it to fix writing issues.

I personally think they could turn a few of those graphic novels into movies. Those two brothers who accidently saved Boba Fett from the Sarlacc? Awesome. "Boba Fett does not scream like a little girl."

Or that fight between Darth Maul and Darth Vader. Cloned by the old Sith Lords, he is sent to replace Vader, as it is believed that he is not strong enough (not enough hate) to carry on as the new Sith Lord under Darth Sidious. The fight is incredible, taking the two of them down to a lava pit. The whole scenery is very reminiscent of Anakin's final fight with Obi-wan. Complete, absolute irony.

Vader spends most of the fight trying to keep his ground, while Maul bounces around and kicks Vader's ass with his Sith-Fu. Finally, he moves in for the kill when he knocks Vader's lightsaber out of his hands. At the last second, Vader pulls his weapon back to his hands and reverse-thrusts Maul right in the same damn spot that slew Master Qui-Gon. With his dying breath, Darth Maul asks Vader what he could possibly hate enough to kill him. Vader simply replies, "Myself."

It was one of the most awe-inspiring stories I've ever read.

I like the "What if..." Dark Horse did, where Maul survives the battle with Obi-Wan and eventualy replaces his lost lower torso with mechanical cetar-like legs. He seeks Obi-Wan out, tracking him to a very young Luke Skywalker on Tatooine. Obi-Wan has to rush to the Lars Homestead to save them (which he does) and we find just why Owen hates the Force so much.

As for Boba Fett escaping the Sarlacc, I heard that is to be one of the episodes of the live action Star Wars show Lucas is currently working on. The show will supposedly focus on various separate subjects of the expanded universe instead of the established canon, meaning Thrawn, Mara Jade, and Xizor are all potential episode focus points.

Thrawn' date=' Mara Jade, and Xizor are all potential episode focus points.[/quote']

All three of those would be so kick-ass...if not overly screwed with. I'm with the posters here; if Lucas steers clear of the actual writing and just lends his ideas while some people who know how to write makes this stuff, it might be at least as interesting as the toonami Clone Wars episode/movie.

I haven't bothered to read all the posts on this topic. But I have no doubt it's copmlete agitation for the film.

Honestly, I didn't grow up with the original trilogy, it wasn't until 97 when they remastered them and put them back into theaters that I started to like them (thanks to the N64 Shadows of The Empire game no less).

Anyways, I grew up with the prequels, and despite what everyone says about them, I honestly enjoy them. Could they be better? ABSOLUTELY. Are they as terrible as everyone says? No, at least not to me.

But I didn't like this Clone Wars movie. But then I started thinking, this is targeted as a KIDS SHOW, aimed for kids. It's the launch campaign of the t.v. series. Isn't obvious enough this was 3 episodes basically put together? I hope it is to some. I know that Gennedy Tartokovsky's Clone Wars series were better, but think about those though, they were designed in 5 minute spurts, little dialog could be done for them. It wasn't 'till they did the 10 minute sets did they do more in terms of dialog.

Yeah, the acting was terrible by several people (Osaka has got to change but that won't happen at least for another season since season one is finished, if she ever does), I'm not crazy about how some of the characters look (at least Dooku and the Clone Troops unmasked).

But now that I think about the movie, I think it's pretty decent, but I hope the series gets off on a better start.

And if I ever hear Osaka call Anakin "skyguy" or R-2 "R-tooie", well, I don't know what I'll do.

And that goes for the live action series due in a few years...

As for Boba Fett escaping the Sarlacc' date=' I heard that is to be one of the episodes of the live action Star Wars show Lucas is currently working on. The show will supposedly focus on various separate subjects of the expanded universe instead of the established canon, meaning Thrawn, Mara Jade, and Xizor are all potential episode focus points.[/quote']

That's all incorrect. It takes place between Episodes 3 and 4, aka the Dark Times era. The Live Action TV series is not going to deal with Jedi stories; it's going to be about rogues and thieves and crime lords. More Han Solo, less Luke Skywalker.

You're not gonna see Mara Jade; she's gonna be what, 4 years old? Younger? Likewise with Thrawn; he was on the edge of Chiss space during all that building up the Empire of the Hand. Xizor maybe, but honestly, Lucas rarely takes anything from the EU; in fact I think the only two things he's ever used from the EU are Coruscant and Aayla Secura.

Boba Fett escaping the Sarlacc is a story that's already been done years ago in Tales of the Bounty Hunters; plus it happens after Return of the Jedi; there's no way it's going to be featured in the TV series.

Oh and it's not six books by Zahn that link together, it's seven books that tell the whole story: Outbound Flight, Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command, Spectre of the Past, Vision of the Future, and Survivor's Quest.

And it's not "until now" that the Clone Wars has been closed off. As soon as Episode II came out (years ago), a large portion of Expanded Universe literature shifted its focus towards the Clone Wars. Star Wars: Republic, one of Dark Horse's ongoing series, did a timejump from post-TPM to post-AotC and was set during the Clone Wars until RotS came out. There were also numerous novels focusing on different characters during the Clone Wars.

Now I really liked the movie and will definitely watch TCW when it hits TV, but I'm kind of disappointed that they're basically tossing out three years worth of great EU stories in favor of the show. I just know that a lot of the stuff just isn't going to jive, which is kind of a shame, considering a lot of the EU stuff coming out NOW has history in what was established during TCW. Hell, even Legacy pulls stuff from that era.