OCR00325 - Radical Dreamers "Industrial Promise"

Saunders

Radical Dreamers 'Industrial Promise'

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm not a fan of industrial.

BUT, there are parts to this mix that I liked. Specifically the deep bass and twangy strings of the main melody. A short mix, but preferably so. If it were a lot longer I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.

Check it out, along with the rest of the Far Promise flood of Apr 21st. Collect the whole set!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is not my favorite Radical Dreamers mix, but it's got a nice personal touch on it - unlike all the myriad orchestral mixes, CotMM puts a sweet little industrial touch on it. On the other hand, it is somewhat like most of the other Radical Dreamers flood mixes, in that it is short and underdeveloped - rushed, no doubt, to fit the submit date - it has some nice samples and a some arrangemental originality, but nothing particularly special in the wake of so many mixes of the same song, other than its genre. If you're looking for a high-quality industrial mix, look at something else - perhaps CotMM's Chrono Trigger 'OceanPalaceWaveBreaker' mix is for you. If you're looking for an individual and unusual take on Far Promise, however, check this out.

• 3 years later...

This is way too short is it is. But, being a fan of CotMM, industrial music, and Yasunori Mitsuda, I really like what's been done with this so far. It's a very interpretive take on the theme.

I really don't like the synth used at 0:27. It doesn't seem to fit in with all of the other instruments used (which sound great btw).

For an early CotMM mix, this isn't bad, but it doesn't hold a candle to his newer mixes.

• 5 months later...

Well this contains the most evil sounding harpsichord i've ever heard. There was a ton of dissonance between the backing parts and the lead, but that's par for the course when it comes to cotmm, so I assume it was intentional. The textures throughout were cool, but besides dirging through the melody once, there isn't a whole lot to the mix. I think doubling the length by adding an additional part would have made me like this more; right now it just seems like a preview.

Still very interesting, however.

• 5 months later...

Not my cup of tea, but an interesting take on the Dream Shore theme. Definately a more sinister approach, which was kinda cool.

Gotta say, though, nothing really much happened in the piece, which from the sounds of it might have to do with it being rushed (?). Regardless, this could have been longer and more developed.

• 11 months later...

Retro Remixes. Sometimes, it really does pay to go back to the past and review the works of old to enlighten the works of the new.

So for as short as it is, the choice of instrumentation is rather interesting. I'm not really digging the "lead" instrument. I think it could've been a bit better. But I do like that little high pitched arpeggiator in the background though, I think it's just a neat little device. I think there's more that could've been done with this track, maybe fleshed out a bit more, but since this was back in 2001, I think I can give it the thumbs up since a lot of Remixers didn't have the gear then that they have now.

That's just my two cents though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm more of a fan of ambiant and melodic sounds than industrial. I feel that the background of the beat becomes far too repetitive towards the end of the song. The song is also too short to explore into anything original. I think some parts need to be extended, perhaps slowed down, and there needs to be some sections that are closer to the source material. Overall not the best work I've hear from the remixer, as I like most of the other remixes.

This piece is eerie. The whole piece has a very dark feel to it. For a one and a half minute song I feel like this piece is so much bigger. It doesn't speed through its time, rather it flows nicely even with it's industrial beats.

It gives me the shivers, but I think it's a great piece. The only complaint I can think of is the length. The song is very self-contained and feels like it could extend its deep ambiance to more time.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just like it says on the tin: Industrial and Far Promise. And I can't really fault it for that.

This is by far the strangest thing I've heard in a while, not to mention the strangest arrangement of Far Promise I've heard.

Actually, arrangement is probably the wrong word because I agree with previous sentiments about lacking of arrangement making this more or less a industrial techno cover of Far Promise.

While I do like the uniqueness of it and its truth in advertising, those are about its only merits.

• 5 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00325 - Radical Dreamers "Industrial Promise"