Would Rosegarden be a good program for Remixing?

Kaz B

Hey all, I'm thinking bout doing some remixing (Sonic the Hedgehog, Gunstar Heroes, Resident Evil being some projects I had in mind), but I was wondering if Rosegarden for Linux would be aright for the remixing(Ubuntu Linux User). Heres a link for those who don't know what Rosegarden is: Rosegarden

Difficult to say without testing the program myself, but it looks all right. One way to find out would be to listen to a bunch of tracks made with Rosegarden, compare them to recent OCR tracks. At least if you know what to listen for.

My advice: Listen, and try it out. If not else, it's at least gonna be a learning experience.

but I was wondering if Rosegarden for Linux would be aright for the remixing(Ubuntu Linux User).

Why wouldn't it be? :)

Checklist:

- does it play nicely with your soundcard, MIDI interface and/or USB controller? Do the drivers work, will the application recognize your hardware?

- does it run the plugins you want to use/need?

- do you enjoy the way the user interface works?

If these answers are yes then you've answered your question.

Why wouldn't it be? :)

Checklist:

- does it play nicely with your soundcard, MIDI interface and/or USB controller? Do the drivers work, will the application recognize your hardware?

- does it run the plugins you want to use/need?

- do you enjoy the way the user interface works?

If these answers are yes then you've answered your question.

Well, i've worked with it before, and am quite comfortable with it, but I was just askin' in case there was something better out there that I don't know about.

Well, there's most likely many other "better" sequencers, but it really only matters what your soundfonts, samples, synths and FX sound like if you're worried if it will compromise quality. From what I see of the screenshots it looks relatively simple, but if you are used to it, you can most likely work around many of the shortcomings of it. The only thing I would be worried about is if it does automation well; i didn't see anything that looked like automation in the pics. Truthfully though, it comes down to preference. Do you enjoy using it? Does it work the way it seems like it should (eg: MIDI arrangement shouldn't be a pain in the ass)?

Well, i've worked with it before, and am quite comfortable with it, but I was just askin' in case there was something better out there that I don't know about.

Nothing better for Linux that I'm aware of... the VST support is rather limited (accomplished through a wrapper, I believe), and that'd be my primary concern if I were considering it. Helpful link:

http://ladspavst.linuxaudio.org/

Mkay, checked out Renoise, and although I found it to run well, and liked the general interface, its just a bit too confusing for me. I'll need to play around with it more as to acquaint myself with the controls.

As for your suggestion, Drack, I'll check it out.

Its not so much finding a DAW (I'm using Rosegarden), but more along the lines of what else is out there, If there is something more suited for my hardware, and whether or not I can find one best suited for my personal expericence with past Windows DAWs.

However, I do appreciate these suggestions, as I don't really know too many audio production programs for Linux (Switched last year as a result of Vista being a pile of bugs, and my new comp coming with said pile of bugs) aside from Rosegarden (suggested by an audiophile friend), and Audacity, so please, by all means, if you know of a good DAW for linux, please do post it.