Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Emerald Hill Remake'

GatoSoft

Hi everybody! :-o

I'm new here and I want to share my remake of this nice song with you all.

I don't know if I'm doing wrong posting this kind of theme, since it's not exactly a remix, but I want to know what do you think about it. :-P

http://boomp3.com/listen/c07xdm5se_u/sonic-2-emerald-hill-remake-gatosoft

The song's ID3 tags reffers to Sonic 2 HD project, because this song was intended for that project initially.

I hope you enjoy it. :-o

Sayonara!

Best place to put it, despite that people might mistake a sound upgrade for a rearrangement.

Could use some compression on the master, I recommend using a limiter as it doesn't clip. The lead is a bit annoying, you could work in some mod wheel and pitch bend automation. it doesn't alter the arrangement, but it can make the world of a difference when it sounds less like sequenced and more performed. Also, the phasing/flanging of the lead gives it a slightly unpleasant stereo phasing, you might want to reduce that effect.

The choir-like pad could use some serious stereo separation to gain width and not just be midd-stereoscape filler. Bells are pretty good, or they're just not loud enough for me to hear what's wrong with them.

Bass could have some more bass frequencies, might even need a push down an octave. Bass drum could have more punch, but also be shorter. There's a long low sound that follows the bass drum. The snare needs punch, so boost it a few dB somewhere in the 50-200Hz range, wherever that sample has the best punch. If it doesn't screw with the sound upgrade thing, you could give the drum writing some variation with occasional small fills and ghost hits.

The hihats need stereo presence, I recommend delaying their left channel and panning them just a little right. Also, you could add a second crash or some faint reverb or delay on the crash to make it more balanced. Right now, all the high range drums are in the left ear, so try different ways of giving them more stereo width instead of just panning. Reverb and delay (esp. with the Haas effect (left/right channel delayed slightly behind the other)) are good tools for that.

As for track volumes, you could bring down the lead a little to bring out some of the backing more.

Overall, a decent sound upgrade. The stuff I listed above are suggestions for how to fix specific problems in the track, mostly mix-related. I think it's pretty much on the level I expected, perhaps a little better. Good work.

Hi everybody! :-o

I'm new here and I want to share my remake of this nice song with you all.

I don't know if I'm doing wrong posting this kind of theme, since it's not exactly a remix, but I want to know what do you think about it. :-P

http://boomp3.com/listen/c07xdm5se_u/sonic-2-emerald-hill-remake-gatosoft

The song's ID3 tags reffers to Sonic 2 HD project, because this song was intended for that project initially.

I hope you enjoy it. :-o

Sayonara!

awsome!

Im actually working on a remake album myself. Im going to make one album of each genesis sonic game. the difference between your remakes and mine is that yours sound exactly the same as the origional just using higher quality synths (which Im sure is whatyour going for). Im trying to use realistic instrument samples that sound similar as possible to the origional.

you can hear some of my older work at

myspace.com/sonicsongsremade

I think its so cool that somebodys working on an hd project of sonic. My brother and I always wanted to make all the classic sonic games in 3D sidescroll. hes an awsome programmer and I would be handling the art and music. Im not sure if we will ever do it, but the thought is nice :D

I hope you make more! I would love to hear them...

Greg

Hi again! :-o

Thanks for your comments. I really appreciate that.

Like BorgMan said with other words, this song is just an upgrade of the original one, not a remix. I'm trying to keep all the notes just like the original song.

By the way, answering Metaphist's comment, the project is still in diapers. Now, the community is focusing in Title Screen's song and Emerald Hill's song. Perhaps, the forums of the project have lots of posts about other stage's songs like Oil Ocean, Metropolis, etc.

I don't know if I can post links to other sites or forums, so I'll wait until somebody's answer if I can post that kind of information here or not. :oops:

By the moment, I'm improving my own version of Emerald Hill, following the suggestions that Rozovian posted before (Thanks again! :-P).

If you like my version, stay tuned. I'll be back soon with a new update.

Sayonara! :<

GuitarHero, that's because he remixed it for Sonic 2 HD, which seeks only to update every aspect (including sound) of the game, instead of remixing it...

uh, I know. Im just mentioning how Im doing something very similar. the project Im working on isnt a remix project its a remake project. origional songs using recorded instrument samples, rather than synths. he uses synths to make it sound exactly the same as the origional. Im using instrument samples to make it sound as if it were recorded by an actual band or orchestra...

I love these, I much prefer "upgraded" songs to remixes when it comes to older synth or sample based games. I've always wanted to hear the Sonic 1/2/3/Knuckles songs as if they were the quality or style of the Sonic CD tracks.

This sounds good but I think the synth (ahhs? strings?) sound is a little loud or overpowering.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I've been delaying this version for many reasons of my life. :puppyeyes:

But here it is, a new update attempting to fix some issues commented before. :razz:

This is version 3.5 according to the order established by me at Sonic Retro's forum. :<

>

DOWNLOAD <

I'm outta here because I'm hurry, but still waiting for new comments.

I'll be back soon. Since then, see you around! :-o

Snare could use some more punch, as well as some more high frequencies. It sounds like it's pitched down.

Your lead gets a bit repetitive. I suggest you raise glide, then just shorten the notes before the ones you don't want to blend together (or lengthen the ones you do, depending on how the glide works for your app and synths).

It feels like it could use an EQ raise in the high mids. Hihats could use an overall +1 dB.

Other than that, there's not much I can say, since you can't change much of the arrangement. Good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Once again, I'm here with a new update. :razz:

The 3.6 version, just because it have minor changes suggested by the person I've to thank a lot: Rozovian. Small changes, but them improves all the sound quality and experience. :-o

>

DOWNLOAD <

I'm in a hurry now, but I'll be waiting for comments. :<

Sayonara!

No actual download? Something from with boo mp3?

Kick sounds weird. Like it's only a tap or something. Doesn't match the snare at all. I think you should replace it with something a little stronger.

That's it. Some subtle glides and additional chord notes and other things would be nice to spice it up without changing the arrangement, but there's not much else that I can say. This is currently at a point where I remember it too well to be objective and can't really think of much to say without altering the sound significantly.

The rest of you readers and listeners should take over, or at least judge whether or not it sounds complete or not.

(knowing me, I'll probably listen to next update and spot something new, but.. maybe I'll forget, or be busy, or something)

Kick sounds weird. Like it's only a tap or something. Doesn't match the snare at all. I think you should replace it with something a little stronger.

When I empowered the Snare I noticed that something was lost after that... and you're right, that was the kick. 8O

Be right back... I'll go to fix it... :<

About glides and additional chords... I don't know if I can do that. I don't want to screw it up at creating new notes. :oops:

Also, I'm trying to keep it the most similar to the original as posible.

By the way (as always) I'm here to hear new comments and suggestions.

See you later! :-o

The instruments sound really fake, but considering the source that may have been intentional.

If this is for an update of the game, as your description implies, I'm very disappointed in your arrangement. Although it's very close to the source, you've completely blown off the tone of the original track. Now, with a normal ReMix, that's fine, but if this is meant to represent the original track you need to respect the original artists.

Go back to the original soundtrack and listen to the commonalities all of the tracks had with each other. Your arrangement won't meld with other tracks like the original did. Sonic 2 had a very unified sound.

I'm sorry if I'm being harsh on you, but Sonic 2 is something that's important to me and I don't want it misrepresented in any way with your project.

Well... I don't know if it is an upgrade or a remix. Somehow, I don't know how I must label it. :oops:

But the point is that the game Sonic 2 is very important for me too because that game was a big part of my childhood like other Sonic games I played years ago and games that I still play in the present.

Still, I want to highlight the fact that can't make me finish this song: the big differences between comments.

1/3 of the people thinks that my version is awesome.

Other 1/3 of the people thinks it's regular.

And the rest of the people thinks that my version stinks.

I still don't know what I must to do with this big mismatch of opinions. Looks like my version tastes good for Rozovian but it doesn't looks good for Spakku. And that happened to me before with lots of people apart of Rozovian and Spakku. :puppyeyes:

What can I say in my defense? Maybe the fact that I'm doing this with love, patience and coherence. I don't want to use real instruments if it's not necesary. I just want to keep the original notes and tone, pointing to the feel of the original song with the new sound capabilities that a today's computer can bring us.

If I'm not wrong and my eyes and ears works fine, Emerald Hill is the first stage of the game and, like other Sonic games, use the same "first stage" cliché with (it will make me sound like a fag :-x) happy, shiny and colorful graphics... so, with that image in mind, I want to get a song that follow the same pattern.

I'm always trying that the synthesizers don't ruin the song, playing clean sound without satturation, with bells, pads and lots of other things that everyone can hear in my version. I think I can't get the same feel, for example, with real instruments. What can I put as lead instrument? A guitar? An organ? Maybe some of those could go fine but the song would not be the same.

Somebody could tell me wich lead instrument wanted to represent Sega with the original lead in the original song? I don't know, but I think that the one who I've chosen don't sounds so bad.

If somebody want to, go and visit Sonic Retro's forum and listen to other versions of Emerald Hill if you want. That will give you a clue of what we are looking for.

Still, I understand that everyone have his own opinion about music... and this is just my opinion.

Also, I still want to hear new hints to improve my version, if it deserves to be improved.

See you around! :<