Breakthrough tech: Convolution reverb running through GPU

zircon

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222978&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It's not even theoretical - this is an actual, working VST plugin that runs off your video card's processor! It's a convolution reverb too. Downsides include very high latency and limited compatibility (works only on Geforce 8+ series cards with the latest Forceware drivers) plus simple design and unoptimized code. However, it's still incredibly awesome, and the programmer admits that he doesn't know much about convolution reverbs and hasn't bothered optimizing to begin with. Imagine, being able to run 20-30+ VST plugins on your graphics card alone - a gamer's $200-300 "high end" card, which is pennies compared to high-end DSP cards, could provide far more flexibility and power.

But would the dsp plugins that go along with the dsp cards work? I thought that the reason people bought the cards was for the awesome, better than vst sound, eg: compressors, eqs, etc.

Would the plugins developed for use with the gpu be just as good as, say, UAD's?

Here's to hoping...it would be really cool to have an alternative to freaking $700 entry level dsp cards. :( (I know I can't afford one...)

We definitely need to move to more flexible processing and this is only the beginning.

Although, GPUs I think are optimized for calculations like matrix math, which I don't think are used in standard DSP apps, but could be very nice for something like VSL's MIR tech which has convolution simulation for placing instruments in a 3d virtual stage.