Brutal Death Metal

Darth Lime

I'm usually not into brutal death metal, but a friend made me pick up Austrian Death Machine, a death metal album entirely based around Arnold Schwartzenegger movies and with an Arnie sound-alike. I think the guitarist from As I Lay Dying does most of the musical work in it. I love the album because it is absolutely hilarious.

a death metal album entirely based around Arnold Schwartzenegger movies and with an Arnie sound-alike.
Now THAT'S a good idea for some metal. HAHAHA!

This is a moment for me to shine I guess. I was in "the fastest band along the Japan Sea" for a while. It's called Gevotais Borken. I haven't heard much professional brutal death metal, but if they all have as complex song-writing capabilities as the leader of Gevotais, I'll start listening to a whole lot more of it. Constantly changing time signatures, hard tempo changes and complete atonality that still makes a bit of sense to one's ears; I can't think of a more winning combination for that genre. ^_^

I love my brutal death metal, more of a fan of technical death metal but the two are quite similar.

Krisiun is one of the best examples of brutal death metal if anyone here hasn't checked out brutal death metal yet.

Brutal death metal makes for a great gig, the mosh pits are crazy.

I'm not entirely sure where things fit into genres exactly here, or if they do it all/whether it really matters... but in this area of music, I don't mind a bit of Nile, Cattle Decapitation or Cannibal Corpse occasionally. I like some melodic death too(Amon Amarth, Dark Tranquility), but lately I've been listening moreso to progressive stuff, like Opeth and Porcupine Tree.

As of right now, the really deep, dark, and morbid, slow death metal is what I am into. They kind that is so slow that you move real slow to its beat.

Not really into the metalcore/deathcore as much, but I'll still listen to it.

What got you into death metal or metal in general?

Death metal in any form can be a good time. Just ask Edge. He's metal as f---.

I'm one of the few people that likes a variaty of metal though. You find way too many people that only listen to death metal, or thrash, or metalcore, and they seem to want to slag the others as gay or bad. I like a diverse selection of it.

I really enjoy brutal death metal though the kind I listen to tends to include a vast amount of technicality as well. Some of my favorites are Origin, Abysmal Dawn, Nile, Decapitated, Vital Remains, Decrepit Birth, Odious Mortem, Gorgasm, Hate Eternal, Suffocation, Spawn of Possession, Anata and some others. There's a lot of bands out there that I'm not familiar with but I'd love to listen to them.

I am not going to lie

I really really hate these kind of 'the many types of metal' things or any type of unnecessary genre splitting

motorhead had it right when they said they just play rock n roll

Aruging about what is and isn't "X type of metal" is indeed ridiculous. It is, however, useful as a quick way to describe a certain piece so one can decide upon giving it a listen or to pass.

If you say "Glam metal" I know I won't want to hear it, but if you say "Symphonic black metal" I'll probably like it. Subgenres make just as much sense as genres, since genres can still encompass a very diverse threshold of music.

Darth Lime, you're describing Doom Metal- I would recommend you listen to The Kovenant - The Dark Conquest.

I am not going to lie

I really really hate these kind of 'the many types of metal' things or any type of unnecessary genre splitting

motorhead had it right when they said they just play rock n roll

Alot of them have enough distinctions to warrant a sub-genre. The difference between power metal and death? Huge one there. Thrash and black? Again huge. Heavy and power metal? Eh...not so much. Some of them are stupid. Viking metal? I've even seen nautical metal which just describes the lyrical content. Besides metal isn't the only genre guilty of splitting hairs. All musical genres do it.

I'm one of the few people that likes a variaty of metal though. You find way too many people that only listen to death metal, or thrash, or metalcore, and they seem to want to slag the others as gay or bad. I like a diverse selection of it.

Really?

For me I listen to all types, except thrash [just doesn't do it for me] as do all my friends. Only my friends that are big into black metal force themselves to listen to one subgenre, which is pathetic.

I could never imagine restricting myself to one genre let alone one sub-genre. Its just stupid, its like eating bread and butter for your entire life when there is so much else out there.

So what death metal is classified as brutal? I assumed we were talking about Grindcore or something.

No, big difference, Grindcore is stuff like The berzerker, Goratory, Mucopus, Godcock, analcunt etc.

Brutal Death metal would be more Krisiun, suffocation etc

Very different sounding, both are great though.

Grindcore is a different genre from Deathmetal, although most people lump it as a sub-genre but it isn't. It came from Deathmetal as Thrashmetal came from rock, or such.