WIP-Releases: Feedback, Discussion + ?s

Liontamer

I'm not really sure what it is you're asking...

If you have a song you're working on, and it's based on game music, remix or not, post it in this forum (but not in this thread). If it's a non-game related song, post it in the wip: other forum. It doesn't matter if it doesn't sound good, or if it doesn't comply with submission guidelines (i.e. it's not an OCReMiX and not intended as one).

• 1 month later...
#1 Do (or did) you know about OCR's resources and guidelines, like the guides, the remixing forum, the #ocrwip irc channel, the checklist, the submission standards, the remixing tab, the tutorials category...?

#2 What's the main thing you want from the wip board, what kind of feedback? Criticism, advice, suggestions, general opinion, help, encouragement... something else?

#3 What motivates you to review (if you do)? Game, remixer, genre, thread popularity... or...?

#4 Do you have an idea for improving the WIP board (see list), an observation you'd like to share, or something else to say about the WIP board and its use and quality?

#5 Is there anything in particular that bothers you about the WIP board?

#1 I knew everything EXCEPT the irc channel... I'm gonna try to make it work ASAP; it sounds like something I'm missing out on right now.

#2 That would depend on what I put up on the board, but if I have to choose, it would be criticism and advice over anything else. I may SEEM to go on the defensive every time someone gives any feedback, but it's just me making sure I understand what they are saying :P

#3 Honestly, I'm just trying to help everyone. It also keeps me in musical shape - I've finished school for now, so reviewing keeps my ears musically fit. Think about it - if you look over successful music, you'll know what success sounds like in the end, but if you listen to music that needs work or is imperfect, then you know what mistakes to listen for in your own music. It's a win-win for everyone, isn't it?

Can't say anything for #4 that will help any...

#5 The biggest thing that bothers me is that people don't post NEARLY enough! Then again, what can I say? That's probably everyone's biggest biff against it. Personally, I think it needs some more advertisement.

:))

• 9 months later...

I'm surprised this hasn't been asked before, I did a brief search through and couldn't find anything.

There are WIPs which are high quality enough that I listen to them along with my other favorites posted on the site. Problem is these WIPs were last updated a year+ ago, so the remixer probably stopped working on it. If they were to see a few posts from people reminding them they had something really good going, the morale boost might inspire them to finish it.

So, options on how to do this:

• PM the remixer. But this means that only one voice is heard, and that voice might not be one well known in the community like yours truly, so it wouldn't be too significant.
  • Thread necromancy. Is this frowned upon (if the thread is still even available)?
  • Start a thread specifically dedicated to people listing WIPs of high quality which they'd like to see finished. Thing is, eventually this would turn into a monstrosity of a thread that's really no longer of any value. Maybe there could be an annual thread of this nature, the "votes" are tallied, and the 3 most popular WIPs are listed (at which point that year's thread is locked). This might be enough to inspire the remixers anyway, but maybe also if one of those remixes is completed and accepted to the site, the remixer gets a prize of some sort like one of your cool hats. Obviously not my call there.

Thoughts?

Start a thread specifically dedicated to people listing WIPs of high quality which they'd like to see finished. Thing is, eventually this would turn into a monstrosity of a thread that's really no longer of any value. Maybe there could be an annual thread of this nature, the "votes" are tallied, and the 3 most popular WIPs are listed (at which point that year's thread is locked). This might be enough to inspire the remixers anyway, but maybe also if one of those remixes is completed and accepted to the site, the remixer gets a prize of some sort like one of your cool hats. Obviously not my call there.

No voting. And no hats. And what Darke said. :P

However, this brings to mind the oft-occurring confusion of wips and releases on this board. A thread for releases would be a good idea imo. Would make it easier to find decent completed mixes that didn't make it past the panel or just weren't subbed.

• 3 months later...

I feel like the checklist is much more of a reviewing guideline like Willrock said. What would be awesome is that the response box for the WIP threads, instead of just a big blank textbox, it it had several textboxes, one for each part of the checklist where you put just any thoughts you had about that specific thing. Then the forum could put it all together as one post and display it.

ARRANGEMENT (Is it too close/far from the source? Does it borrow too much from outside sources?)

*textbox for comments*

PRODUCTION (What quality are the sounds of the mix? Are parts too loud/quiet? Is everything mixed evenly?)

*textbox*

PERFORMANCE (Are live instruments played/recorded well? Is the playing tight? Are the correct notes played?)

*textbox*

STRUCTURE (Is the pacing good? Does the piece flow naturally? Does the song stay interesting?)

*textbox*

OVERALL/OTHER (Any extra comments on the mix?)

*textbox*

*SUBMIT*

• 2 months later...

Just putting this here because I'm too lazy to wait for any ocr staff to reply to this. A suggestion:

A recent flooding of the wip board with Street Fighter wip threads made me consider an addition to the one thread per wip rule. It should probably say that this applies to albums/collections as well, to avoid stuff like that happening again when the next newcomer with a handful of tracks show up.

It should be added to the one thread rule post that tracks from/for an album release, should be kept in one thread. Maybe it should also say that ppl should only post one or two tracks at a time to not push other ppl off the first page, and for those tracks get quality feedback instead of the feedback being spread out over all the poster's wips (or worse, not given at all).