Should I Be A Video Game Tester?

TheSnowStorm

I heard it was a decent way to get into the industry and I myself actually want to compose music for video games, translate/localization (spelling?) video games, or design them as a career. Is being a tester truly a good way to get into the business or is that a load of shit?

Also I know the following:

-It is very tedious

-You can not take the games home with you (Common sense can tell you that.)

-It's a very cut thort job and many people have been fired from it.

-You should think about getting a second source of income if you're a tester (Or so I heard).

no .

Atmuh, I like you, you're a good member, but just saying "no" usually does't cut it for me unless you have a reason.

http://www.seattleweekly.com/2007-07-11/news/testing-video-games-can-t-possibly-be-harder-than-an-afternoon-with-xbox-right.php?page=full

- I've read that in the past. Some things I already knew such as it is not just playing a video game but I never knew it was that cutthroat.

Atmuh, I like you, you're a good member, but just saying "no" usually does't cut it for me unless you have a reason.

I liked him at first, but I must say that since the weve had a falling out of sorts.

I say try it out and if it turns out to be too cut thort to your liking then quit silently so as to not piss any bossmen in the industry off. I have nothing to do with the industry, yet, but I plan to and have been doing some research myself. This forum has lots of people in the gaming who can give you advice, but theres also people who will tell you that youll never make it as composer because its too competetive and all that shit. Just ignore that.

Also, I'd suggest finding a job in music first, logic dictates that music on your resume would look a bit better that QA for a position of composer. But thats just logic talking, not expeerience. Hopefully you can get some learned opinions in this thread. Good luck as well.

I liked him at first, but I must say that since the weve had a falling out of sorts.

but theres also people who will tell you that youll never make it as composer because its too competetive and all that shit. Just ignore that.

Actually, music can be very a competitive field. Believe me, the musicians in my school were extrememly competitive and musicians in general are.

Game companies want people who can give it their best and not fucked up. I heard they want composers who know what they're doing and know how to make the music go along with the game and the emotion of the game.

However, telling somebody to give up is bullshit.

Also, I'd suggest finding a job in music first, logic dictates that music on your resume would look a bit better that QA for a position of composer. But thats just logic talking, not experience. Hopefully you can get some learned opinions in this thread. Good luck as well.

]

Eh, somewhat. However, you need some real world experince with music like if oyu play with a college orchestra or wrote a song or a score for a college play or hell, something outside of college.

Also, I heard it's good to know the techinal side of composing- Computer hard and software.

i worked over the summer as a tester at my friend's company, it's small (around 30 employees) and makes downloadable games. i had a lot of fun. the office environment was very relaxed, everyone was very nice and helpful.

as for the job itself, i also enjoyed it. you have to be very detail oriented and methodical, and not mind playing the same levels over and over again trying to reproduce a bug. but overall it was a lot of fun.

so i'd say try it out, and if you enjoy it, keep doing it. what have you got to lose?

so i'd say try it out, and if you enjoy it, keep doing it. what have you got to lose?

Well he said he's trying to get into the industry, so he can loose a lot of time when it doesn't happen.

Testing is not a great way to go about it. Figure out what aspect you want to want to work at (music, art, animation, programming or whatever), learn the basics and join a free mod project or some lower profile games. Build a portfolio and some skills. You'd be extremely lucky to land a development job from games testing imo.

Okay, for right now, let's say fuck the QA Testing.

I always heard that for internships and freelancing that you should ask for little or no pay so that the company can see that you're not just doing the composing for the money while they check out if you're good enough for them.

I also want to know if any performances outside of college (such as church) will help me on my resume on terms of music for video games?

Honestly, I'm at the time of my life that I'm really need to start thinking about what should I do for a source of income.

I always heard that for internships and freelancing that you should ask for little or no pay so that the company can see that you're not just doing the composing for the money while they check out if you're good enough for them.

Whoa what? I've never heard that before. You better just show them that you're worth every penny.

Well he said he's trying to get into the industry, so he can loose a lot of time when it doesn't happen.

Testing is not a great way to go about it. Figure out what aspect you want to want to work at (music, art, animation, programming or whatever), learn the basics and join a free mod project or some lower profile games. Build a portfolio and some skills. You'd be extremely lucky to land a development job from games testing imo.

Something along the lines of this. Get yourself a small portfolio. Perhaps do a few indie games, and if those are good, send off your work and plaster it around for people to see.

Okay, for right now, let's say fuck the QA Testing.

I also want to know if any performances outside of college (such as church) will help me on my resume on terms of music for video games?

Honestly, I'm at the time of my life that I'm really need to start thinking about what should I do for a source of income.

you should go to clown college

Whats your major in college btw?

I gotta knock my low-level coruses out before I go into my major. My desire major is Music Theory and Composition but I'm thinking Interactive Media.

ya dude

that way they dont treat you constantly like a low level lacky

show them you are just doin it and dont want money means that you are showin them that you are their bitch

I love being a submissive bitch.

So actually ask to be paid. Alright.

you should go to clown college

Naw, imagine a big black man as a clown? Kids today already hate clowns.