OCR on OurStage - August finals until 11:59pm EST tonight

zircon

I'm away from home, so I don't have my normal template, so here's the abbreviated post!

8/25 - Quarterfinals have begun. We've got SIX artists with seven songs this month, which is really amazing. Our best month yet! Only the top twenty of each category made it this far.

8/29 - We made it with six songs into the semifinals... awesome job, everyone (remixers and voters alike.) Let's keep up the momentum and shoot for three songs by ReMixers in the final round.

8/31] - We're in the finals now, though with only one track this month: sgx - Coactive (Hollidayrain Trance Remix). Grats! Give him some love, all :)

(the below list consists of members that made it to the semis)

Jewbei - Aqualight - Club/Dance

pixietricks - Shadows (zircon Remix) - Club/Dance

Siamey - Sidewinder - Club/Dance

Skrypnyk - Untitled - Techno/Ambient

sgx - Coactive [Hollidayrain Trance remix] - Club/Dance

zircon - Rainforest Majesty - New Age/World

If I missed anyone, let me know!

LINKS TO JUDGE

To listen to and judge music in the categories we are competing in, click the links below.

http://www.ourstage.com/judge

---

Read this before judging!

* When you judge, you are presented with two randomly selected songs. You must listen to at least 15 seconds of each, and then select which you like more, or if they are the same to you. Once you vote, you are presented with another pair. You cannot select any given song to vote for, you have to wait until you are randomly given that song as part of a pair.

* Once you listen to 15 seconds of a given song in a round (eg. quarterfinals, semifinals, finals) you do NOT have to listen to it again! This makes your votes go very quickly after you have heard all the entries in a category.

* Vote honestly and your vote will count for more. Don't just pick "same" for everything and vote up OCR artists "by far". Other songs deserve to be judged too. The best way to support OCR artists (and OurStage itself) is to not try to game the system.

Whoops!!! No one told me Siamey had made it also. He's been added with his song "Sidewinder" in Club/Dance. Wow; six ReMixers and seven songs in the quarterfinals. This is probably our best month ever, but we need y'all to do anything you can to support the fan-based judging system of OurStage. No fan input = standings don't move :(

Also, a quick correction, my track "System" did not make it this month in Techno/Ambient, it was actually "The Art of Zen" that did in that category.

Playing devil's advocate here.

Doesn't recruiting votes go against the ideas of OurStage, to let the best song win? This strikes me as turning a legitimate competition into a popularity contest.

Even if you said "Go to OurStage and vote for whatever music YOU think is the best" this is a community obviously highly biased in favor of OCR.

I'm sure all contestants do it, and I'm not proposing a solution, just, as I said, playing devil's advocate.

Doesn't recruiting votes go against the ideas of OurStage, to let the best song win? This strikes me as turning a legitimate competition into a popularity contest.

Even if you said "Go to OurStage and vote for whatever music YOU think is the best" this is a community obviously highly biased in favor of OCR.

I'm sure all contestants do it, and I'm not proposing a solution, just, as I said, playing devil's advocate.

Heh, you're a couple months late, man. This discussion has gone down many times before. :)

Hope to get some votes in this weekend for ya'll. It'll be interesting to see who wins Club/Dance.

As Audix mentioned already, you're a little late in that debate. Search the forums for the other OurStage topics and you'll see why that not only "recruiting" votes legal, but actually encouraged by OurStage itself.

For people who didn't see Atmuh's post or haven't noticed themselves by now, they might be interested to know that Protricity is in the semi-finals of New Age as well with "Desolation v1.1". I understand some might not consider him "OCR" anymore, but it's still a cool track, so if you like it you should give it your support. It would be a shame to have politics get in the way of enjoying good music.

For people who didn't see Atmuh's post or haven't noticed themselves by now, they might be interested to know that Protricity is in the semi-finals of New Age as well with "Desolation v1.1". I understand some might not consider him "OCR" anymore, but it's still a cool track, so if you like it you should give it your support. It would be a shame to have politics get in the way of enjoying good music.

<shitstorm>

lol ill be back to add the closing tag later.