Help configuring my MIDI Keyboard please!

Helo

Hey all, hopefully you can be of some assistance. I'm really frustrated right now - I just wasted the better part of five hours trying to get an initial installation of FL Studio 8 (the demo version) working with my keyboard to no avail. In disgust I decided to mess with a project in Reaper for a bit before going to bed, only to find that I was now having the same issues with Reaper as well.

Problem: MIDI appears to be correctly configured, data lights are visible in both programs when I play the keyboard, and yet, no sound.

Set Up: Custom 2.6 GHz AMD (FX-60, a duel core proc.), 2 GB RAM, 8800 GTS, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty edition (with the 5.25" Drive bay module).

Keyboard: Casio CTK - 631

MIDI settings: "GM Mode" is on, "keyboard channel" is 1, the rest are at their defaults and I don't believe affect this anyway.

Connection: Directly to X-fi card through MIDI cables - keyboard's out to X-fi's in and vice versa.

FL Configuration:

|Options > MIDI Settings|

Nothing changed in the output area.

Input is

"SB X-Fi MIDI Port [bC00] ____ Generic Controller _____ Active"

with "auto accept detected controller" and "support hold and sustenato" both

checked.

FLMIDISettings.jpg

|Options > Audio|

Input / Output - I've selected Creative ASIO as my audio device, at 44100 Hz,

Int32LSB, 9x2 outputs, 11x2 outputs available. I have my buffer length set at 88

samples, which for me is 2 ms. Priority is set to highest. Interpolation is set to 6

point hermite.

FLASIOsettings.jpg

Here are the options I get when I try to assign a track to an input / output:

InputandOutputlist.jpg

I am new to Fruity Loops, but I did manage to use this keyboard with FL7 about a year ago. Kinda let the hobby fall to the wayside, but have recently become inspired to get back into the game. If there are some settings you need to see that I didn't mention, ask away and I'll post them.

Thank you all for any help you can provide!

Helo

I think it's to do with your input options. Is your keyboard plugged into your soundcard? Whatever may be the case, you may still have to enable the keyboard in the input by itself; I've screenshotted my setup so you can have a look.

FL_Studio.jpg

It works for me, anyway.

Yup According to your input settings, it's not finding your keyboard. One thing you may have to do (I have to do it anytime I use a keyboard with FL) is turn on the keyboard BEFORE starting FL Studio, mine doesn't recognize the keyboard unless it's turned on ahead of time, even with the "rescan" option.

I think you guys are a bit off here. If I understand things correctly, the keyboard is connected to his X-Fi via MIDI, not connected to the computer via USB, so FL Studio wouldn't be able to detect it by name (although it should detect that MIDI data is being input).

Been a while since I've used FL Studio, but the issue is possibly one with none of the instruments being set to receive MIDI data.

@ the OP: Do you have any standalone synths? Or, for that matter, grab a demo of Native Instruments B4-II or something similar. Is that software recognizing MIDI input? Something like B4-II is doubly good since you can click on the keys on the virtual keyboard to get a sound, so if the issue is with your audio setup somehow and not with MIDI, you'll know.

Thank you for the responses everyone.

Kanthos: Yes, I can see that I am receiving MIDI data inside of FL Studio and Reaper. I'm downloading the standalone synth you recommended right now, will update when that is finished.

As for none of the instruments being set to receive MIDI, I'm not sure how to check what you are referring to, other than the final screenshot I posted anyway. I can use my rgular typing keyboard to play (and hear) sound in FL so it isn't an audio config issue.

Blue123: I think you are correct in suspecting my input options, however (as Kanthos said) I'm not connecting via USB - I'm plugged directly into the MIDI IN/OUT sockets of my soundcard.

Zephyr~: Turning the keyboard on before starting FL was one of the things I'd already tried, to no avail.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Well, if you can see that you can receive MIDI data somehow, and your audio works fine, then there's no point playing with B4-II (other than because B3 organs are cool).

I have a vague idea of how to check the MIDI channel for each of your instruments, but can't describe it well without tripping over terms and probably confusing you. It's been almost 2 years since I touched FL Studio now, so hopefully someone who uses it regularly can help.