Recommend soc some PS2 games [or hook him up with some]

OverCoat

I agree with the robot heads about ZOE2. I don't think there's any good reason to get the original ZOE since ZOE2 basically one-ups the original in every way. Of course the story is different so some might say that they like the first one more.

I also agree with shadow of the colossus and of course Metal Gear Solid 3.

Oh yeah. And if you can handle speedy 2D fighting games, then I recommend Guilty Gear X2 Accent Core.

Sky Gunner. It's basically a mix of Japanese anime style going after a French motif (yeah, those Japanese loooove Germans and French) and with a very good shooting/Ace Combat style gameplay. Also way too underappreciated. I'd recommend Persona 3 FAS, but it is a JRPG with a lot of grinding, but it's probably one of the best value for the money as JRPGs go.

Oh, and though people keep raving about Okami, I think the most fun Clover game still has to be God Hand. Doesn't hurt that it's probably one of the weirdest and funniest game I ever played too. The action is also pretty ridiculous.