OCR01010 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Hot Ice' *FT*

Vig

First of all, congratulations on getting the Judge's position. ^_^

Now, I have a mix that I submitted in the middle of February. It's called "Hot Ice," and is a remix of Ice Cap Zone from Sonic 3.

Here's the link (it's different from the one available in the submission email):

Hope you can help me out. ^_^

Here's a mix from DarkeSword that he submitted 3 months ago. it sounds pretty cool. i'll vote later.

UPDATE: bitrate ceiling version:

USE THIS FILE INSTEAD

This song has some top notch coverage already, and so any new covers have a pretty high bar to reach. i'm continuously impressed by the number of unique interpretations i've heard of this song.

This mix definately has something new to offer. the groove is great, the sounds are great. nice flute solo.

my only complaint is that i dont really like the bassline; i find it a little cliched and cheap.

this definately gets a YES

*sigh* Not another Ice Cap Zone remix...

Okay, well, first off, the bass is crap. It sounds sooooooooo fakey. The drums are a little bit on the weak side. The synthline at 1:24 is pretty quiet.

The good points outweigh the bad points. The flute solo is fantastic. The synths are very suiting, and even though the drums are weak, they still have good groove, like Vigilante said. The arrangement is really quite dynamic, and I think that this remix, DESPITE BEING OF A SONG THAT'S BEEN DONE OVER AND OVER, is pretty good. I like the ending, too. Very video-game-ish. I think that if the Ice Cap Zone song was redone for a Sonic game on the Gamecube, this is probably how it'd sound, albeit with a better bass (as in, a REAL studio-recorded bass).

YES

The slap bass in this sounds like a stretched sample. But thankfully, the rest of the mix is really good.

Arrangement is interesting, and the groove is great, it's definitely different from the other icecap remixes I've heard. I also like the flute solo, with some lava reef notes thrown in for good measure. Ending is good also.

YES

Uh...

Slap bass is kinda....

Cool groove.

repeating....

Flute solo is ok.

Way too short.

This song's bitrate is 160-256 vb. That is far beyond the cieling of 192 that we set way back.

I have to say no to this song based on its shortness. Please make it longer.

Also, in order to be accepted, we need a <=192kbps version.

EDIT: Got hte updated version, still no :(

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno. I'm a little torn here. That bass line just seems really too hard

for my tastes, and it still feels a little empty.

This just seems way too short for me though. It doesn't really do more

than restate the original melody with a few different neat instruments.

Enjoyed listening to it, but I don't think it's ocr material :(

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Good stuff. Some nice drum programming with attention being paid to dynamics and fills. The flute solo is also a rather well done and unique addition to mix.

And dang it if this doesn't sound like the Japanese synthpop that you might hear in a Konami side-scroller or something. :P

But anyway...Nice work here.

YES