Illusions of Gaia 'Memories of Gaia'

Freemind

Well, it's has been a long time since my last post in this forum, and I have to say that a lot of changes took place in here. New remixers and new remixes, a new style forum, torrents, CDs..I feel like Homo Erectus :razz:

I found some time in this summer, and I have prepaired a small remix. I am not very familiar with the new rules about tags, so I post as it is at the WIP part of the forum.

My English suck, so be patient with me. :sleepzzz:

My remix is based on the theme "Memories" from the SNES's game "Illusions Of Gaia"

Here is the remix:

llml

It's a soft ballad kind remix. I have used S80 Yamaha and K5000s Kawai for the synth sounds. The only VSTi I have used are Addictive drums and Trilogy ( for the bass ). As for the electric guitar part, I have used my faithful Washburn ( rock yeah )

( it's good to be back )

Can't get the spc with the source, so I'll just comment on that later, if I remember to.

This is pretty pleasant, but the piano feels a bit mechanic, so does the wah guitar in the bg. It gets a bit repetitive too, but I suspect just raising the piano an octave towards the end and adding embellishments would solve that. I think the piano coud provide some more low-range support, it seems stuck in the higher range.

You could spread some of the instrument a bit more, the sax could use some panning, and the piano could lean a little in the opposite direction. Drums are fine, imo, their panning works well, tho you might want to give the left channel something with high frequencies when the ride plays, and the right channel something to counter the hihat when it play.

Like I said, it's pleasant. The biggest problem I have is with its energy. It doesn't have to be crashing from one high points to another, but it'd be nice if it had a little more variation, it's basically the same from 0:28 to 1:32, and then from 2:14 to 3:17. Some dynamic variation would be nice, but that's just my opinion, it works well as it is too.

Good stuff.

nice come back after 4 years :P. But yeah you'll have to change with the times...damn acceptance bar has been raised almost unrealistically high (and eccentrically so)...so yeah. Needs a tad more humanization, but I think it doesn't need that much variety...just maybe that octave change if anything at all - like what our regular (and sexy) wip critiquer, Rozo suggested. Good job man :D

Thank you for your replies guys. And your time to listen to the remix.

Let's start now:

1) The wah in the background is fusion wah piano, not wah el.guitar.

2) The original theme is only 25-26 metres. I wanted to make a new style remix. Not electronica, no classical, no techno. I borrowed a Barry White style ( soul :sleepzzz: )

3) I am a piano player, so I recorded the piano ( I didn't use midi channel ). For the owners of S80, I used the Diffrence Patch.

4) I am fan of the "asymmetric" production. I don't like the classic style "fill the frequency at both channels". However I spend a lot of time mixing this remix, and I don't find something wrong with the balance between right and left channel ( and so the panning ).

5) The part that makes the diffrence is the solo. And the solo is not the theme of the remix :? As I have said, the main theme is only 25-26 metres long..:sleepzzz:

Problems that I have noticed:

1) The piano sounds a bit "I am not in the remix". I am thinking of changing the piano to a more analog lead instrument. That means, more hours on the Kawai..

2) Sax needs more realistic breath control. That's the easy part ( I think ).

Again, thank you for your replies. I hope to have more free time to spend in the OCR.

Hoboka..It's nice to meet you again ( 4 years? Oh my God..I am starting Botox )

Thank you for your replies guys. And your time to listen to the remix.

Let's start now:

1) The wah in the background is fusion wah piano, not wah el.guitar.

2) The original theme is only 25-26 metres. I wanted to make a new style remix. Not electronica, no classical, no techno. I borrowed a Barry White style ( soul :sleepzzz: )

3) I am a piano player, so I recorded the piano ( I didn't use midi channel ). For the owners of S80, I used the Diffrence Patch.

4) I am fan of the "asymmetric" production. I don't like the classic style "fill the frequency at both channels". However I spend a lot of time mixing this remix, and I don't find something wrong with the balance between right and left channel ( and so the panning ).

5) The part that makes the diffrence is the solo. And the solo is not the theme of the remix :? As I have said, the main theme is only 25-26 metres long..:sleepzzz:

Problems that I have noticed:

1) The piano sounds a bit "I am not in the remix". I am thinking of changing the piano to a more analog lead instrument. That means, more hours on the Kawai..

2) Sax needs more realistic breath control. That's the easy part ( I think ).

Again, thank you for your replies. I hope to have more free time to spend in the OCR.

Hoboka..It's nice to meet you again ( 4 years? Oh my God..I am starting Botox )

Damn it!!! Those jfgts have corrupted me!! Sorry about doubting your "humanization" when in fact its you. And...what do you mean by meeting me "again"? Isn't this the first?

Doesn't really matter that you're a piano player, either you played at full velocity, or the soundfont you're using ignores any recorded velocity. It sounds mechanical and stale as it's all too evenly played, and it should be fixed.

And like I said before, my biggest crit isn't the panning or the mechanical velocities, it's the energy, which doesn't change enough imo.

As I said before, I am not using a soundfont or a sample piano. I am using the "Diffrence" patch from S80 Yamaha synth.

I will record again the piano channel with a diffrent lead instrument. As for the energy, I think that White's themes, didn't have any energy..That's the reason why the call it Soul music ;-)

And...what do you mean by meeting me "again"? Isn't this the first?

Hehe..I mean "all the forum"

Got the source. The genre adaptation is probably enough to keep you from getting NOed on source/interpretation, as you've added content make it fit the genre. Do watch you energy levels when you re-record so it doesn't end up being long sections of the same. That doesn't work in the genre, imo.

For that matter, everything has energy, and you don't want it to have the same amount of energy for a long time, every part should be either building up or toning down, whether it is the harmonic/melodic progression or the energy that's changing. Melodically/harmonically, it's repetitive but not to the point where it bothers me. What bother me is the flat energy level during the aforementioned sections, but that could change with the new instrument. Be mindful of the energy, it's what makes good music great.

Whatever. Good luck with it.