Uzebox - Open Source 8-Bit Console

DarkeSword

http://belogic.com/uzebox/

Some dude made his own 8-bit console! Features (from the site):

• Low parts count and cost: The system is made of only two chips and discrete components.
  • Interrupt driven kernel: No cycle counting required, sound mixing and video generation are all made in the background.
  • 256 simultaneous colors: Accomplished by using a R-2R resistor ladder DAC.
  • 4 channels sound engine: The sound subsystem is composed of 3 wavetable channels and 1 LFSR-based noise channel.
  • NES controllers: The joypad inputs uses standard NES controllers interface.
  • MIDI In: With a music sequencer, allows the creation of music directly on the console.
  • Expandable: I/O lines and peripherals are still available, like the UART and SPI port for one to experiment.
  • Open Source: The software and hardware design are totally free and licensed under the GPL!

MIDI input rocks. Check out the video he has on the site (it's the second one).

I hope people start developing games and stuff for this.

This looks really cool, but how does one go about developing games for this little box?

And for that matter, how does one load them onto the system? Is it cartidge based? Or do the games have to be loaded onto the system directly?

How would one go about distributing games for this system anyway?

http://belogic.com/uzebox/

Some dude made his own 8-bit console! Features (from the site):

• Low parts count and cost: The system is made of only two chips and discrete components.
  • Interrupt driven kernel: No cycle counting required, sound mixing and video generation are all made in the background.
  • 256 simultaneous colors: Accomplished by using a R-2R resistor ladder DAC.
  • 4 channels sound engine: The sound subsystem is composed of 3 wavetable channels and 1 LFSR-based noise channel.
  • NES controllers: The joypad inputs uses standard NES controllers interface.
  • MIDI In: With a music sequencer, allows the creation of music directly on the console.
  • Expandable: I/O lines and peripherals are still available, like the UART and SPI port for one to experiment.
  • Open Source: The software and hardware design are totally free and licensed under the GPL!

MIDI input rocks. Check out the video he has on the site (it's the second one).

I hope people start developing games and stuff for this.

Hell. Yeah. Awesome.

Actually this is the kind of thing I've always loved to see! The sheer ammount of shmups that could come out of this is dazzling. Keep me posted with interesting stuff like this Shariq ;*