Secret of Mana - 2 remixes made with original game samples

Nase

I've yet to hear a really great mix of "The Town Hates You" song (Night Spirits) and I really, REALLY like what you have here. You said you're just experimenting, etc... well whatever. Whatever you're going to do to finish it, do it, because it's going really awesome as of this sample.

I also like what you've done with this other "Give Love" track, but I don't recall what it's from so it's hard to be really attached to what you've done there.

Keep it up. I mean please, please keep it up.

Heh, thanks, but these are really just tests to see how to use the sounds properly.

What i'm having in mind with them are extensive medleys and/or possibly widely original songs with a bit of Hiroki Kikuta feel (i've heard Shnabubula do similar things).

The 2nd tune plays in the flying Mana Fortress. Called 'Give Love it's rightful Time' in the OST.

Idk, I can try a non-retro remix of 'Spirit of the Night' sometime, if you really like it that much :) it's a good tune for sure.

Where do you get the sound samples form SoM? I would venture to say theyre some of the best for the snes, and yes drums kick the ass hard

I used a DOS app called Snessor to rip them from the rom. Most instrument samples in there are shorter than a second, so you have to create loop points in a sampler if you want a sustaining sound.

It's interesting to see how basic the soundset really is. SoM just has one single piano sample, for example, but that one sounds good across several octaves.

Oh, and the SquareSoft intro sound? Down-pitched seagulls :)

That upload site looks great indeed, I've been looking for something like that.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ah1vkqgu4ex

Here you go, have fun.

Tell me if you can spot the organ sound in the OST, I think it's an unused sound (unless it's been recycled in a very different way).

Oh wait, I found it. It plays in 'A Curious Happening' at 0:30. For one second.

Lol, the other samples are recycled in so many ways that this one seems downright decadent.

aw man. these are so great. the bells, piano, drum kit (wow), and slap bass are all here.

i was hoping for the flute to sound good in a high register ala distant thunder. but if i turn the loop off i can manage some fast passages. if you do more of these let me me know. maybe "the little sprite" could be used for the flute if you can catch a note between the percussion. another hopeful is some twelve string guitar like "into the thick of it."

and the music your making is with this is very cool. very progressive along the lines of kikuta. its great to hear the sounds with a fresh approach that takes on the old. i'm going to keep my eye out for you.

aw man. these are so great. the bells, piano, drum kit (wow), and slap bass are all here.

i was hoping for the flute to sound good in a high register ala distant thunder. but if i turn the loop off i can manage some fast passages. if you do more of these let me me know. maybe "the little sprite" could be used for the flute if you can catch a note between the percussion. another hopeful is some twelve string guitar like "into the thick of it."

and the music your making is with this is very cool. very progressive along the lines of kikuta. its great to hear the sounds with a fresh approach that takes on the old. i'm going to keep my eye out for you.

Nice to hear that you appreciate them.

If you find a way to improve the sounds, like finding a better loop point for the flute, just do it and reupload the thing. Sometimes I didn't get it 100% and just used the blending feature to make it sound ok, but that often shows in the higher registers as you noticed.

Also, these are most probably all samples that are used in SoM, so you should be able to create all SoM instruments with a little work.

I wondered about the 12 string as well, and I'm sure it's a variant of the slap bass sound.

I'll try emulating more SoM sounds as I go along, and creating new ones of course.

If you feel like giving something back, you could try your hand at other ROMs. There's the tedious part of going through the ripped sounds, sorting out the garbled ones (the .wav detection of Snessor seems more guess based than 100% accurate) and renaming them. But when you're done with that, it starts getting fun. Exploring the basis of all those cool soundtracks brings a new level of appreciation to them for me.

I've ripped a few other soundtracks, and there's so much to find in there. Some OSTs just do everything with a handful of sounds, like Turtles In Time, and some are really extensive. Earthbound uses over 200 samples, a drum loop and jazz phrases included.

So if there's an OST you know well and you wanna get ahold of the sounds, go for it. I'm nearly finished with Secret of Evermore, btw.

yeah, i've made just a couple adjustments to two instruments real quick. i will get in there some more and will upload.

i'll check out snessor. although, it doesn't seem to be able to solo any of the instruments. i have been using snes9x on the mac and it does this...so maybe i can hijack the audio and edit it later.

i just got kontakt 3 and plan to get deeper in it next month. i have been an exs guy for a long time and its still powerful especially with redmatica's keymap, but kontakt has my interest at the moment. so yeah, i'll definitely make some attempts in the next month or so. is there any methodology i should be employing when i get started?

just wishful thinking here, but maybe starting another thread suited to this for others to share would really cool. i don't know if the community would look down upon it or not with sampling/copyright stuff. idk how all that pans out. might be better to keep this on the dl. but yeah, the collection online of vg sounds is pretty limited...i've tried and just got some random ff stuff. i just love those old sounds, so its really cool that someone is doing it right.

yeah, i've made just a couple adjustments to two instruments real quick. i will get in there some more and will upload.

i'll check out snessor. although, it doesn't seem to be able to solo any of the instruments. i have been using snes9x on the mac and it does this...so maybe i can hijack the audio and edit it later.

i just got kontakt 3 and plan to get deeper in it next month. i have been an exs guy for a long time and its still powerful especially with redmatica's keymap, but kontakt has my interest at the moment. so yeah, i'll definitely make some attempts in the next month or so. is there any methodology i should be employing when i get started?

You don't sample bits of the OST with Snessor like from an emulator, you extract the exact .WAVs the composers used right from the ROM. It's more work but much more flexible as you have all the sound data the composer had right in your hand and can theoretically recreate all the instruments spot on. When you just sample something, the sample's attack might be lowered for example, and you'd have to sample the sound from several tunes where it's being used differently.

I use Snessor with DosBox, a lot of people don't seem to have the patience to learn the few necessary commands to handle it, but it's not that hard if you read the helpme.

There's a 'searching sensitivity' setup in Snessor, and if you turn the sensitivity up, it'll increase the amount of garbled sounds among the extracted ones, meaning that it interpreted something else in the ROM as .WAV data. But presumably it increases the chances of getting every .WAV that's in there, so I'd set that up reasonably high. One thing that could happen is that you disregard a game sample as a garbled one, something like a white noise sample or some river fx. Especially because the .WAVs usually come out at a much lower Hz rate than they're supposed to be at. Due to this there's a bit of guessing involved during first sighting, you won't always hear what's supposed to be a violin and what's the piano sound etc.

Once you load them up in your sampler and play them at different speeds, you'll get a clearer picture of what's what. Then comes the looping if necessary, and the 440 Hz tuning.

That's it basically.

On another note, there are two things I'm aware of that make the SNES sound like the SNES, which is the sampling rate of 32 kHz and the FX Unit, typically doing reverb and chorus type stuff. I haven't bothered with either of them yet, which is why my attempts sound more HiFi. Don't know if I even wanna try doing 16 bit 'chip tunes', as I'd also have to limit the polyphony to 8 voices.

For now just getting the most out of the sounds seems good enough, but it might be fun to sort of directly compete with SNES OSTs by having the same sonic quality :)

i think a bit more hifi is fine. downgrading the sounds is easy enough. and i actually prefer these osts that come out and usually sound cleaner than the music directly from the game.

i might try both steps to see what kind of results i get. i like the idea of taking the raw wavs that they had but i might get a more realistic instrument by ripping notes from songs. albeit more work too probably. i'll let you know how it goes. thanks a bunch.