The Protomen "Breaking Out" (New Demo)

Sinewav

So everyone's favorite dystopian future/Mega Man/rock opera band just released a new demo to everyone on their mailing list. Their music is all original, but it's video game related enough that I figured that there's probably at least a few fans on OCR.

The Protomen - Breaking Out (Demo)

It's obviously not entirely finished, but that hasn't kept me from listening to it repeatedly all day. If you're familiar with their first album, prepare for something much different sounding. It's very... early 80s, maybe? I was very surprised with what I heard when I first listened, but honestly, it seems to me that they're improving quite a bit as musicians. Personally, if the new album is going to sound anything remotely as good as this, I'm going to be really pumped.

Thoughts?

I loved their first album. Ever time I listen to it I can just imagine MegaMan as an epic rock opera.

This new demo is certainly...smoother, more refined in its sound than was their first. I like it, though. I can't wait to hear the rest of it and see how the saga continues. Assuming they're sticking to the story of MegaMan and ProtoMan.

I'll have to know more of the context this song is played in. The Protomen just aren't a pure musical experience for me. I love the themes within the story they told in Act 1. Their first CD is my favorite CD ever. Absolutely love these guys. They are a modern day example of gesamtkunstwerk.

Thanks for letting us know about this! I check their news site once a week, but I wasn't on the mailing list until now.

am i the only one that thought their "music" was awful

It's an acquired musical taste, but I absolutely love the current album. They played an all-day music festival that my station put on back in the spring, and were the only band I was really stoked about. I'm happy to say they're every bit as awesome live.

Sadly, I couldn't make it to the show they did recently in Louisville. By all accounts, it was epic.

• 2 weeks later...

This new demo was mentioned on Penny Arcade today so I'm sure they're going to get a lot of exposure. Does anyone have the lyrics for this demo? specficially the part at 5:04 "sometimes i just want to drive the streets ????? I want to burn until there's nothing left to burn ????"

That's sorta what i hear but I can't make it out for sure.

This new demo was mentioned on Penny Arcade today so I'm sure they're going to get a lot of exposure. Does anyone have the lyrics for this demo? specficially the part at 5:04 "sometimes i just want to drive the streets ????? I want to burn until there's nothing left to burn ????"

That's sorta what i hear but I can't make it out for sure.

I know that someone at one point had transcribed the lyrics and posted them on the Protomen forums. I'm too tired to fish out a link ATM, but that's where to look if you're interested.