Things That Piss You Off When Recording

TheSnowStorm

I can get stressed out easily if it's hotter than 80 degrees when attempting to record. Something about the temperture and atmosphere of a room that affects the process in a large way.

Recording vocals is something I don't often do, due to some lovely paper thin walls everyone is familiar with. Voice self-consciousness.

The granddaddy of them all would most likely have to be random fatal errors in the middle of an unsaved project. I had FL crash on me just recently after sequencing a sweet synth lead for an original track, leaving me to try and re-create it from memory. Needless to say, it's not the same or quite as good.

Neighbors only piss me off when I'm trying to sleep. You don't need your mexicans to landscape at 7am...

Number one thing that ticks me off when recording...

What the hey, I'll put the top three.

1.) Being interrupted by phone call. Seriously thinking about just disconnecting the phone when I'm recording then plugging it back in.

2.) Working on the mastering for a track for two weeks then realizing I destroyed the original idea.

3.) Having a friend look over shoulder constantly and giving random advice on how to mix and master a piece when that particular friend could even play a kazoo if he had the instructions stapled to their forehead. Yep, you got it. Not a fan of the back-seat-driver method.

There are a couple of other things, but most of those just generally stem from the fact that I'm a perfectionist to a fault when it comes to making music.

Not really for recording, but what the fuck is it that attracts random non-pianists to my piano and MAKES them NOMATTER WHAT hit the highest two or four keys like it makes a cool sound or something. When they are writing I dont walk up and scribble on the corner of the page. When they are talking I dont interrupt with indistinct murmers. If someone is going to come by and play the piano while I am they better fucking harmonize damn well or they get their head bitten off

Not really for recording, but what the fuck is it that attracts random non-pianists to my piano and MAKES them NOMATTER WHAT hit the highest two or four keys like it makes a cool sound or something. When they are writing I dont walk up and scribble on the corner of the page. When they are talking I dont interrupt with indistinct murmers. If someone is going to come by and play the piano while I am they better fucking harmonize damn well or they get their head bitten off

Hear hear. The two highest notes or the two lowest.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I tried using my mixing headphones as a mic, since they cancel out noise. Unfortunately the recording had a ton of hiss, and I tried filtering it out with software, but it got worse. Then I added reverb, and a strange thing happened -- it became brilliant! :lol:

"Swayer" (demo)

Man, I could make a whole album with this sound...

3.) Having a friend look over shoulder constantly and giving random advice on how to mix and master a piece when that particular friend could even play a kazoo if he had the instructions stapled to their forehead. Yep, you got it. Not a fan of the back-seat-driver method.

"could" or "couldn't"

This made me lol because I am guilty of doing this. It's just fun to press the extreme keys; we're just making sure the piano is in tune....

Also, I hated recording on my old laptop's sound card because it would record my laptop's internal sounds along with anything else I recorded. For some reason my old laptop sounded like there was a mechanical cricket inside of it.