PRC128: It's-a-me, some kind of spaceman! (Super Mario Galaxy)

Rexy

The People's Remix Competition 128

PRCv5-24

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition! Last compo paid host to the second source selection from setokaibarocket, and the second Fire Emblem based round this season. The short source tune invited quite a few participants, and it was a widely-crafted composition effort from Binweasel that after striving hard for the past few rounds has finally achieved his first PRC win.

I'm getting the feeling that Nintendo games, first party or otherwise, have been part of a good luck omen for PRC participation over the past few months. So it's by no surprise that for this competition - our second based on the Wii - we are looking at one of 2007's best selling titles and a return to platforming goodness from everyone's favourite Italian plumber. Yep, you've guessed it...!

prc128.png

Never played Mario Galaxy myself, but the hype about its soundtrack was not undeserved. (This track)... always stood out to me as a prime tune for a remix. It's vaguely mystical and wandering, playful, but still fuzzy around the edges. Like a bunny. Instrumentally sparse, but melodically full, sort of thing; it's got a pretty melody, creepy harmony, interesting chords... and no bassline to speak of, so people can have some fun with that.

Super Mario Galaxy - To the Gateway

MIDI | MP3

Binweasel sent the track acknowledging its name to be "Chasing Starbunnies" or something; I'd just went by what it said on the actual OST release, if that's ok with him. But anyway, let's move ahead from the chit-chat and get to mixin'. ;)

GOOD LUCK!

Fine Print:

PRC instructions

1. If you happen to be mixing this song already, start over in the interests of fairness.
  2. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 6MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed.
  3. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by NEXT SATURDAY, September 6th at 11:59 am Eastern US Time.
  4. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix.
  5. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted.
  6. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  7. The winner of the previous contest can't take part but their vote will be doubled.

Doulifee's PRC Archives! If you need help with hosting your mix, contact myself or Doulifee, and we'll help you out.

In Community Discussion? But... I like it here. Competitions' threads aren't updated so frequently, so it gets more time on the main page. Put it in Community and only people who hunt through the forums will find it... I'd forget it even exists - would never have found it in the first place, in fact.

Mm. Diggin' the gate-bunnies so far. Keep it up!

So, I thought I had time to work on this awesome source tune, but education classes are taking up more time than expected... Becoming a teacher is putting so much on my plate...

With that said, I only had enough time to work on a WIP. It's not finished, I'm not submitting it to be voted on, and I don't have a clue when I'll be able to finish it, but here's what I got.

http://dj17nario.googlepages.com/HouseTheObservatoryWIP.mp3

I hope you all enjoy what I could do with what little time I have these days. I might wanna add that it's my first House remix ever, so I'm slightly new to the genre. I hope you all enjoy it nonetheless.

Mix submitted. I haven't been very active in making music with a computer for some years. Compos such as this is a great opportunity to "force" myself back into it, learning to use tools such as Cubase and different plugins. Deadlines are great to have. :)

--Eino

Very true. It eliminates the false excuses like "I don't have time!" because you have to make time. That's not to say people don't have legitimate reasons for not entering - it's just that a lot of us use that excuse when it's not really true.

At any rate, looks like we have enough entries for voting! Good deal. Although I expected a slightly larger response.

Nario - I don't know much about house, but it sounds good to me. It's too bad you couldn't get it finished! If you ever get around to finishing, make sure to post it here or on vgmix or something so's we can listen! :3

You could have brought it up prior to the deadline, so I'm sorry - entries are closed.

Concerning Nario's track, I'll try and at least host it on Doulifee's webspace and list it on the PRC webspace there at least when I get around to it. Bonus entries are bonus entries :)

Now, I know I'm 5 hours late but let's plow on with the voting stage. You have three entries to make your vote from, so head on over to the ThaSauce page and listen to them. Once done, use the voting form at the bottom of the screen, place them from first to third and state your reasoning. Contestants are encouraged to vote as they will automatically get three points added to their score. The vote of the winner of PRC127 (Binweasel) counts twice. You have until Tuesday, September 9th at 11:59AM EDT to cast your vote. The winner gets to choose the source material for PRC129!

evktalo - Cosmic Plumber

Hylian Lemon - Dream Drifting

setokaibarocket - Shroom Trip

...quiet voting spree, huh? :P

Once again I turn out to be late for an important part of the competition. It looks as if I need to set an alarm going for next time >.>

But anyway, the voting stage is over. Every vote has been finalised, and the bonuses have been applied. Now, which of you made it off the Gateway towards the first Grand Star of the game? And which of you got tired trying to catch those buggered star bunnies?

Total number of votes - 7

Total number of mixes - 3

Highest possible score - 21

setokaibarocket tripped his way into third place with 11 points.

evktalo made a decent opening campaign into second place with 12 points.

And the winner by an unanimous decision is Hylian Lemon with 21 points!

Well, who would have thought that one of the quicker-made entries would win the compo? It still was a well deserved win though, so well done once again Ben! You know the drill now concerning the next source tune - I expect your selection to be in my inbox by Friday.

And that concludes another PRC. I will be with you on Friday for PRC129!

Wow, a second place! I'm honoured. :) Thanks to all the voters, it was very nice to read all of your comments. Congratulations to Hylian Lemon, you made a fine piece of music that deserved the win! I'm curious what music you will pick for us. This was a nice experience for me, so I'm definitely planning to participate again. Also thanks to setokaibarocket - yours was a fun entry! By the way, you would have overtaken me if you had voted - I have to assume you'd have chosen Dream Drifting for the first place. :) Finally a lot of thanks to Rexy for organizing.. hmm, why did this turn into an awards speech?

cheers!

--Eino

In Community Discussion? But... I like it here. Competitions' threads aren't updated so frequently, so it gets more time on the main page. Put it in Community and only people who hunt through the forums will find it... I'd forget it even exists - would never have found it in the first place, in fact.

you are in the pretty ridiculous minority

you are in the pretty ridiculous minority

He has a point; it would get lost in Community. I'm not sure that it would get any more attention in there.

Anyway, nice round. Despite the reasonably small turnout (although you might call it average for PRC), we got some pretty solid entries. I will send my source choice shortly! I'm lucky I managed to find a good midi for it recently...

Wow, a second place! I'm honoured. :) Thanks to all the voters, it was very nice to read all of your comments. Congratulations to Hylian Lemon, you made a fine piece of music that deserved the win! I'm curious what music you will pick for us. This was a nice experience for me, so I'm definitely planning to participate again. Also thanks to setokaibarocket - yours was a fun entry! By the way, you would have overtaken me if you had voted - I have to assume you'd have chosen Dream Drifting for the first place. :) Finally a lot of thanks to Rexy for organizing.. hmm, why did this turn into an awards speech?

cheers!

--Eino

Nice. I was thinking for two days that Hylian Lemon won with 15 points, Setokaibarocket was 2nd with 11 and Evktalo third with 8. The added points (which are important) weren't good for Setokaibarocket.

Nice job all, and don't forget we are almost doing this for five years (PRC 130...).

Next time, I'll just wait a day or something (so Rexy has posted the real results in the topic) to prevent such mistakes (before I post to quick and congratulate the wrong person).