I just switched to Linux

Sinewav

After countless years of feeling guilty for giving my money to a private company I abhor (Microsoft), I finally came to see the light and realized that there are few proprietary software products that don't have equal or superior open source alternatives. So I switched to Linux. Specifically, Ubuntu 8.04.

Still working out a few kinks (I'm completely ignorant about hardware, networking, and coding in general), but overall everything is running smoothly. So far I'm liking it much better than Windows XP... mostly because it's faster, it lets me uninstall stuff I don't want, and it doesn't do stuff behind my back like a cheating spouse. The only reason I use Windows at all now is for a few games and Propellerhead Reason.

Any starting advice for a n00b? Any recommended Free/Libre or Open Source apps for Linux?

Definitely check out the special effects, namely the 3d desktop. Although it may seem a tad gimicky at first, I've found it to be very much useful for multitasking. Other than that, it all depends on what you like; games, artistic stuffs etc. Although one good game is Tremulous IMHO, its not everyone's cup of tea.

I wouldn't tout Linux as so superior simply because it's open source - for example, my supervisor has both Ubuntu and Windows on his laptop, but he cannot use wireless with Ubuntu, and hence has no internet when he uses Ubuntu, which he uses primarily for LaTeX.

Driver support seems like it still has much to be desired even after 5 years after I've tried Ubuntu. :?

Agreed, mostly. Still trying to figure out the wireless thing myself actually. Best I've been able to figure out, the problem isn't so much the drivers as it is the proprietary firmware can't be distributed freely, so you're left trying to figure out ways around it. Really it's not so much an issue of inferiority in design as much as it is a problem that not all third party developers have embraced the OS yet. It's kinda like saying Windows is a better system than Mac because it has more games.

And I'm not really saying that it's better because it's open source (though I'm not not saying that either), but if you had the choice to get a good product for free, or pay for an okay product, what would you pick? I don't have to give my money to Microsoft (who I really have issues with ethically), and in general, Linux seems to function better. At least if I can figure out this wireless thing... which isn't that big of an issue yet, since I can just plug in an ethernet cable for now. And like I said in the OP, I still keep Windows around for a few things.

EDIT: As far as my tastes go, I really like anything game related or anything related to creating artsy stuff, like music, video, pictures, etc. Also, I really enjoy non-video game role-playing, if there's anything out there like that. Beyond that, I'm just looking for general use stuff.

Seems you and me are in the same boat. Ubuntu has been a lot more stable for me than Windows and I really like it's interface. And despite what other people might say, I like the fact that the menu commands are grammatically correct, i.e. verb = command, noun = object/location.

I wouldn't tout Linux as so superior simply because it's open source - for example, my supervisor has both Ubuntu and Windows on his laptop, but he cannot use wireless with Ubuntu, and hence has no internet when he uses Ubuntu, which he uses primarily for LaTeX.

Driver support seems like it still has much to be desired even after 5 years after I've tried Ubuntu. :?

Ironically, I've actually had more luck with my wireless card on Ubuntu than with Windows as far as drivers go. The windows one was epic fail. :?

Just make sure your wireless card doesn't use one of the craptacular Broadcom AirForce chipsets (i.e. almost anything sold under the Dynex name). You CAN get it working with ndiswrapper and the Windows drivers, but it's a pain in the ass to do. Although my experience w/ it did provide a frustrating laugh.

Was running Ubuntu on a system w/ a borked ethernet port, so wireless was the only option (via the PCMCIA slot). Issued the proper commands to bind ndiswrapper to the windows drivers only to get "ndiswrapper not installed. Use 'apt-get install ndiswrapper' to install." All fine and good, except w/ no network connection, apt is useless, lol.

Ironically, I'm actually using a craptacular Broadcom 4306 trying to connect to a craptacular Belkin router, which is connected to our craptacular local phone company's craptacular DSL service. I knew this would be an uphill battle from the beginning.

ANYWAY... I wanna get this back on topic, so it doesn't get moved to Tech Assistance for n00bz (though it might not be a bad idea to start a separate thread there).

Recommend me some good open source and/or linux programs. General everyday use stuff, fun games, and anything creative (music, video, pics, etc.) would be awesome... or just stuff you've found useful.

Broadcom 4306

Use the b43 driver.

Don't bother with bcm43xx. Don't bother with ndiswrapper. I have a broadcom 4318 (same card but with wireless-G) and that worked for me. Just use the fwcutter and install the kernel module and it will be fine. I believe it needs a 2.6.24 kernel or higher.

If you don't mind hellish learning curves, there's some great stuff out there. Cinelerra is great for video editing, and Ardour is great for audio stuffs. Both have a VERY steep learning curve, but can do a LOT of nice things.

After countless years of feeling guilty for giving my money to a private company I abhor (Microsoft), I finally came to see the light and realized that there are few proprietary software products that don't have equal or superior open source alternatives. So I switched to Linux. Specifically, Ubuntu 8.04.

How do you get this to download? :|

How do you get this to download? :|

I used WUBI. It made installation deceptively easy. Just be ready to do some major web savaging for working out the initial kinks once you get everything installed. For example, it took me a while to figure out this wireless thing (just figured it out about an hour ago; Thanks Drack!), but after a lot of digging around I got it. Learned a lot from the process too.

Don't let that scare you away though. The OS has definitely been worth the work so far.

You'll probably need to set up a JACK server (not that hard) for low-latency audio, just install a few packages from the repos (qjackctl will install JACK and a frontend to manage it simply).

Tell me more about this JACK server thing. I've never heard of it before.

If you don't mind hellish learning curves, there's some great stuff out there. Cinelerra is great for video editing, and Ardour is great for audio stuffs. Both have a VERY steep learning curve, but can do a LOT of nice things.

Hellish learning curves are a small price to pay for excellent software. I'm actually going to school for Audiovisual stuff, and I plan to do it professionally when I'm done. I figure it's probably worth it to figure out how to use the best tools now while I'm learning.

Actually, I'm wondering if there are any good music creation programs available for linux.

There's actually a whole different Ubuntu variant (the name of which eludes me atm) which is designed specifically for media creation. Never tried it, but it sounded cool.

I used WUBI. It made installation deceptively easy. Just be ready to do some major web savaging for working out the initial kinks once you get everything installed. For example, it took me a while to figure out this wireless thing (just figured it out about an hour ago; Thanks Drack!), but after a lot of digging around I got it. Learned a lot from the process too..

Yeah I'm downloading it right now, thanks for telling me... and yes the downloading process is taking a long time! :-P

There's actually a whole different Ubuntu variant (the name of which eludes me atm) which is designed specifically for media creation. Never tried it, but it sounded cool.

A little bit of googling about lead me to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Studio

Sounds VERY cool. Some of the apps it comes pakaged with definitely look like they're worth checking out. I think I'm going to stick with regular Ubuntu for now, but this is definitely worth keeping in mind for when I get a more studio oriented machine.

Tell me more about this JACK server thing. I've never heard of it before.
Meh, don't know the exact details about it but it has a sort of system for connecting sequencing programs to audio sample programs to audio recording programs. I mean to say I use it, but I can't exactly describe it to you.

You may consider installing Ubuntu Studio, or at least the Ubuntu Studio (meta)package(s) and stuff, because they contain lots of video/audio/graphics editing and making programs. Just so you know, a metapackage isn't really a software package, instead what it does is it depends upon / links to other actual software packages (like in the case of Ubuntu Studio's package, I think it includes like the GIMP, Ardour, Cinelerra, Kino, etc).

The main metapackage for ubuntustudio is ubuntustudio-desktop. However, you can (maybe should) individually download it in pieces - ubuntustudio-audio, ubuntustudio-plugins, ubuntustudio-video, ubuntustudio-graphics. Install them from the command line/terminal (sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-audio) for the fastest, easiest installation.

The ubuntustudio-audio package includes a TON of programs and libraries and such - check https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/PackageList for a complete list of programs and http://ubuntustudio.org/ for ... well, that isn't so useful but it is the website for it.

The ubuntustudio-plugins includes some audio and i think video effects plugins that you might try.

ubuntustudio-graphics gives you Inkscape, a vector graphics design program, which is somewhat sophisticated (but I don't think nearly as sophisticated as Illustrator, though, in all fairness, I only tried Illustrator for a few days and I didn't really get a chance to (not) appreciate it).

So.. yeah.

Well, first of all are you trying to connect via Wireless or though an Ethernet cable?

Also, I just downloaded the Ubuntu Studio audio package last night. Haven't got to play around with much of it yet, but I can safely say that Hydrogen completely wallops Reason's ReDrum. Doesn't have the schnazzy GUI, but it's easily just as functional (if not more so), and it's pretty easy to figure out if you've worked with programs like it before.

Oh yeah, and it's free. I love this.

Well, first of all are you trying to connect via Wireless or though an Ethernet cable?

Also, I just downloaded the Ubuntu Studio audio package last night. Haven't got to play around with much of it yet, but I can safely say that Hydrogen completely wallops Reason's ReDrum. Doesn't have the schnazzy GUI, but it's easily just as functional (if not more so), and it's pretty easy to figure out if you've worked with programs like it before.

Oh yeah, and it's free. I love this.

I'm trying to connect wirelessly, but it doesnt show that option in the network settings. I also don't know my IP address. (Just the name of the router & the password).

(I saw the word "Linux" and felt like registering just to reply to this topic :-P)*

I currently use Ubuntu, and I think it's great.

I've tested FL Studio (only the demo version, unfortunately, but I assume the full will work as well), and it works perfectly with Wine. I had a few problems with popup windows appearing under the main one, but that can be fixed by having Wine emulate a virtual desktop.

There is an open-source program called LMMS, which aims to be an alternative to several proprietary music-creating programs. It's far from professional, but it's slowly getting there.

If you can get professional software working with Wine, don't even bother with LMMS.

Also, if anyone cares, my wireless card completely stopped working in Windows, but works perfectly fine in Ubuntu.

*I did sign up here a few years ago, but my account was deleted due to inactivity. This thread kinda inspired me to sign up again. Eventually I might try submitting some remixes here, but not for a while (still a bit of a noob at remixing...)