I just switched to Linux

Sinewav

I tried Linux today. What a pile of nerdy shit. All the major proponents on a linux message board were like, "You are just used to windows. Linux is better." Well that may be true to some extent, but then I remembered the time I tried my friend's apple computer. Sure, maybe Linux is better for servers, but it's a fucking joke as a desktop.

I will give it credit though, Linux is good for old computers. I have no experience with servers, but I have heard it is good for that too. It's also free with lots of cool goodies and downloads.

Which build of linux were you using? Ubuntu as a desktop is really a million times easier for me than Windows (which I've been using for years), and I just started using it a few days ago.

VerSus22, I started a new thread over in Help to try and figure this thing out for you. http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?p=445556#post445556

NOW BACK ON TOPIC! ALL OF YOU! I know there's a ton of good stuff out there, but so far in the last 3 pages, I've only gotten a few suggestions. This makes me sad. :-( <------ See that? Sad.

Linux is pretty neat, and it has become surprisingly mature over the past years. A few months ago I installed Xubuntu onto a buddy's old laptop computer, when his WinXP install corrupted & he lost the disc. And WinXP should also have never been on that laptop, it literally took 15 minutes to boot up. Ubuntu's package update feature is the easiest, most seamless upgrade system I've ever seen.

However, I find myself clinging onto a few particular Windows applications I love. WinAmp & Exact Audio Copy have their equivalents, for example, but nothing that works quite the same. In the end, it's the available applications that hold me back, not the Linux OS. However, I think the trend of cross-platform development is beginning to finally bridge that gap.

JACK is for audio production. Some DAW apps like Ardour require it. It's a low-latency sound server, like the equivilent of ASIO on windows (and Core Audio on the mac? I'm not a mac guy). It still needs drivers for your soundcard (ALSA for most cards).

If you want VST support for Ardour, you'll have to compile it from source, as the VST SDK isn't legally redistributable (Blame Steinberg's licensing).

yes for any linux questions i have learned to always ask mister drack so far he has known EVERYTHING

Yep. Ask me anything.

I tried Linux today. What a pile of nerdy shit. All the major proponents on a linux message board were like, "You are just used to windows. Linux is better." Well that may be true to some extent, but then I remembered the time I tried my friend's apple computer. Sure, maybe Linux is better for servers, but it's a fucking joke as a desktop.

I will give it credit though, Linux is good for old computers. I have no experience with servers, but I have heard it is good for that too. It's also free with lots of cool goodies and downloads.

You simply haven't tried a good linux for desktops.

Might I recommend Vector Linux or Puppy Linux.