Digitally Enhanced Screaming in Audition?

1337 1

I've heard from a few people that digitally enhanced screaming is possible (when I say screaming, I mean like metal scream), and as I can't do it naturally, I'm trying to work out a way to do it digitally. My main program is Adobe Audition, but I can't for the life of me work out how to do it. Anyone have any ideas? Even if its kinda bad, as long as it gets the sort of feeling across, I'll be happy. Its just a little parody song :P

• 1 month later...

Proper screaming --the kind that won't lead to vocal chord polyps and voice loss during/after a gig-- is nothing more than really loud whispering, with a bit of throaty growl mixed in.

Yeah... it sounds about as weak as it can possibly be, and it doesn't hold with it the physical feedback you'd expect from something so aggressive. That's why most people screaming in music do it wrong, and eventually lose their ability to sing or scream, depending on how their body reacts to the constant trauma. (Actual screaming is to singing as a hard tackle in American football is to running.)

To beef it up, and I could be wrong about this (I've got 20 years of "classical" music training, 10 years of gigging, and less than a year of recording/mixing/mastering, so my knowledge is lacking on this end of things), adding a bit of distortion/overdrive and compression should do the trick. Perhaps a quick delay (less than 10 miliseconds) to thicken it up, as well.

Im not sure how its done. but what Matney says sounds about right to me. loud whispering into the mic. I couldnt imagine anyone going on tour actually screaming like that for every gig. give themselves a self-induced trachiatomy.

and in my opinion, the screaming fad for metal is irritating to me. screaming isnt bad when it's done right. as in, only sometimes in a song. Like singing melodically then throwing in a scream for one word or two for a couple measures or so. that should be all the screaming done. the hardcore death metal freaks over do it. And bands like the old Atreyu stuff or Trivium? I can't stand that crap. Mostly Trivium. Atreyu's new stuff sounds awesome though. I havent heard all of it yet but what i've heard sounds great. Oh! And In Flames. MAN! Great musicians. Horrible front man. Ruins the music.

anyway im ranting a bit. but yeah. screaming isnt in my taste.

I growl and scream all the time, and the only way not to destroy your vocal cords is to incorporate water; just drink water before and after screaming, your throat will be fine for quite a long time. But I dunno about digitally enhanced screaming, 'cause generally when people do anything and try and make it sound like a scream, it ends up sounding more like feedback from an amp, or inhaling really hard in a low-quality, overdriven microphone.

So you could definitely just get people to scream for you, if you ask me. I dunno about everyone else on OCRemix, but I don't see why collab screaming would be a problem. :razz: