Kirby's Dream Land 'Castle Lololo'

metaphist

No source link, no source comment.

I take it you haven't spent much energy on the production since you're admitting using lofi samples and focusing on the arrangement. There's a lot of stuff that bother me about the mix, such as weird autopan effects, the low volume, a lot of instrument choices, the varying level of frequency coverage... Some production issues to be dealt with later.

I think it's funny, this track. Some sound choices are hilarious... and not that bad in terms of quality either. With samples that are a bit richer, and properly mixed this track could be pretty good. The arrangement seems to hold back, tho, and while skipping forth and back reveals that it's fairly cohesive, it can get repetitive. An improved production would reveal that better.

This could be good.

Yeah, kirby's dream land! good times, good times...

I can't decide if I like this mix or not. XD

It gets really cool and sounding good at points and then you throw in something where I'm like...what?! (yeah, vague, I know)

I think the biggest complaint, other than the mixing itself, is the very static arrangement. It's great at first...but it lasts the whole time.

Change up instruments/textures more often and get it sounding better and you'll have a winner. :)

Some production issues to be dealt with later.

Looking around the WIP threads, you give great production advice. I'll definitely be looking to you for pointers when I start touching this up. Thanks for the feedback. My apologies for not providing the source, since I usually do that (it's been a while since I posted a WIP). It's up there now.

As for the volume, I just realized I had the master fader down without realizing it -.-; I'm re-uploading it now.

I think the biggest complaint, other than the mixing itself, is the very static arrangement. It's great at first...but it lasts the whole time. Change up instruments/textures more often and get it sounding better and you'll have a winner. :)

That's actually proven to be one of my fatal flaws in music. If you know of any tracks that accel in that particular area, It'd be good inspiration for me. Thanks for the feedback.

Slowing down Kirby music without losing any recognition is quite a feat in itself, and I commend you for that. This whole track, while it's already pretty good, feels like it could be more. I wish I could be less vague about it, but you've got a few gallons of potential left in there.

I'm running my own private awareness campaign or something like that, where I don't look up source unless it's provided. Wouldn't be that hard to look it up, but it's easier, faster, and more convenient to just click a link in the first post. More source/interpretation awareness is the goal.

Okay, about your track's source/interpretation... I think it's in the green. I recognize stuff from source, but it's obviously slowed down, and the mood is significantly changed.

When you've got a version with upgraded sounds, I'll start whining about production in more detail. One crit I can already give you is that you should have a limiter on the master channel, and then raise the overall volume so it's touching 0dB during the loud sections. With the limiter, it shouldn't clip, and you get the volume up as far as you can without making it sound compressed.

'Til the next version.

Hey - sweet stuff. I love Kirby (hence the name), so I'm glad to see another potential remix.

I do agree that fluctuation of mood is needed, however. It sounds very manufactured in how constant the tempo is, and since the tempo is rather slow and somber throughout, it definetely hurts it. One good inspiration you could check out is "Starbound Warrior" from the site's Kirby Album - the bridge definitely sets a different texture than the rest of the song.

Also, at first listen, the lead sounded a little too "silly" to my liking. I know it's difficult to pick out a great lead... but I don't think this was one of them.

Despite these setbacks, the work was very atmospheric, and it really felt like you were back in the castle. With work, this could be great.

Yo cool dude, ltns again.

Anyway listening to this, I recommend a low end synth or pad or something behind stuff (especially for sections most important to you) You've got a nice high end, but this needs more low. Love the drums. Anyway, that bass needs to be SWEETER. The writing is cool, but you need to find a way to make it shine in the EQ.

Have you thought of rhodes accompany to anything? Write some sweet beat induced chords to accompany the changing melody please, triplets, whatever. You got nice pads and stuff, just maybe a little funk off beat chords with something else could help.

Doubling up some of those lead instruments with something else (try things like vibes, piano, or other really weird synths) could probably help a lot too.

Cool so far!