OCR00989 - Legend of Zelda "Link Goes to New Orleans"

Well, waddya know? Come back to the main page, and there's a new mix. Some New Orleans jazz, but I don't like this too much. The instruments (sans the drums, which are excellent) sound VERY fake, which must have been the intent, but nothing unique is ever done with them. Nothing I'd listen to all the time, but a unique song, and I'm glad that the Dungeon theme has been mixed in a jazz way. However, DJ's right in the idea that the drums alone wouldn't be boring, they're my favorite part, and one of the reasons I'm going to DL this song, the drums are some of the best I've heard for a long time.

The instruments (sans the drums, which are excellent) sound VERY fake, which must have been the intent, but nothing unique is ever done with them. Nothing I'd listen to all the time, but a unique song, and I'm glad that the Dungeon theme has been mixed in a jazz way.

Uh, I respectfully disagree with just about every single word of your post. There was nothing fake about those instruments, unless the organist was playing an electric keyboard instead of a legit jazz organ. (and if it WAS just a plain keyboard, it was a very good one, because it sounds the same as an organ)

While this isn't the most exciting jazz song I've ever heard, I have always loved jazz, and this is a great arrangement of a song that I never expected to hear arranged. Frankly, there's just not much you can do with this tune (I've tried to arrange it, and sat staring at Sibelius without a clue).

The instrument work was excellent, being in a jazz band I understand how difficult it is to get that style exactly right.

My only complaint was that the organ was not loud enough. Mad props to the drummer, and to the style of the guitarist.

After listening to it again, I had to post again.

I didn't notice the great improvisational work the first time I listened to this mix. All four of the players improvise in the middle section of the piece, and all four are quite good at it. Improvisation is one of the hardest things I have found to do in my playing, and these guys make it sound easy (which is why I didn't notice it the first time)

Great job!!!

i wouldn't say that the quality of any instrument was questionable. rather, the whole piece sounded sort of muffled, but i personally liked it that way. this is one of those songs that will sound totally awesome when i'm sitting in a thoughtless, sleep-deprived stupor. worth the download.

-rob

This was very well done IMO. The improv was nice and the drumming is fabulous. I'll agree that it isn't the most exciting jazz song that I've heard, but it certainly keeps the groove going, and it's easy to listen to. To make jazz sound smooth and calm can be quite difficult... this arrangement and group succeeds.

One problem I have with this remix besides the muffled sounds: The remix VAGUELY sounds like a Zelda remix.. That being said, I was disappointed to not be able to pick up much Zelda tunes at all... Disappointing...

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/nes/lozuw.mid

How could anyone not notice this song?

An excellent addition to OCR.

I'm not a personal fan of the lounge style muffled jazz style, but I can certainly tell when it's done very well, and this was. The were a few spots where the volume a few of the instruments could have been tweaked better, but I'm just going to chaulk that up to recording difficulties.

Probably not one I'm going to listen to on a daily basis, but that's just because I'm not a fan of the style. For the style, this is great stuff.

Wow, this is my first post in like a year.

This is a good mix, but doesn't quite capture the New Orleans feel. The drums are very NOish, but I think the guitar(or whatever it is doing the main tune) is a little too varying. It's good though. You might want to add a trumpet.

BTW, I live very close to NO, so I know what I'm talking about.

I'd give it a 4/5. Very nice stuff. Keep up the good work!

That was live, right?

Beyond the fact that all the instruments sound incredibly real, the communication was pure in that. To be able to synthesize such communication is truely a feat. Jazz was always meant to be spontanious. If you were able to digitally produce real jazz, i'm througally impressed. Beyond the fact that this is an incredible mix, it just sounds so real. The guitarist plays something, I hear it echoed in the drums and organ, and even in the bass as well. This sounds real, I would be thouroghly impressed if this was digitally produced. Then again, it could mean that real music could be replaced sometime soon... hopefully I'll get a job before that happens =P

yeah 10/10 phenominal

About the drumming: It seems a lot of the new jazz players play in this fashion. Just check out The Bad Plus or Fieldwork. Awesome drumming abound my friends (and in the case of Bad Plus, very very good music as well).

As for the mix itself. Awesome stuff. I could listen to stuff like this all day. I love how the organ is circling around my head and fading in and out like that. It's a creepy touch. Very very well arranged and executed.

Oh, and DJP put "kudos" at the end of his review. Is that higher than "Highly Recommended" or lower than "Recommended"? Or is it just something he felt like putting at the end of his post?

• 2 weeks later...

Not only is the instrumentation and style great, but I gotta give em points for choosing a song that WASN'T THE ZELDA THEME. Instead it's the dungeon theme, probably the most 'Zelda 1-ish' you can get. The original song was memorable, but rather crude and unpleasant in some ways (especially when you're stuck in the same dungeon for a long time) but this mix makes it relaxing and chilled out.

Not only is the instrumentation and style great, but I gotta give em points for choosing a song that WASN'T THE HYRULE THEME. Instead it's the dungeon theme, probably the most 'Zelda 1-ish' you can get. The original song was memorable, but rather crude and unpleasant in some ways (especially when you're stuck in the same dungeon for a long time) but this mix makes it relaxing and chilled out.

Hmmm...

I dunno. Not knowing much about jazz, I probably don't have a right to have an opinion at all. All I can say is this one didn't "speak" to me.

But I do agree that it's great to hear a ReMix of the dungeon theme. That GAWD FORSAKEN TUNE. Ah, so many a time whilst playing the memeberable game I ached to make the monotonous music just go away. I would have done anything...destroyed the console, toss the tv out the window, puncture my own eardrum...and then my brother just suggest I tune the volume knob, and all was good.

Cheers.

J. :twisted:

• 1 month later...

Boy, this is good. I like how that jazz guitar really smoothens the dungeon melody. This makes it sound alot happier than freakish like the original tune. It sounds like a soundtrack of a decisive situation for "The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show". I'll bet Vince Guaraldi or Waynton Marsalis would've done their own arrangements of the same song. Good work guys!

• 1 month later...

OH, YEAH.

this thing kicks ass. the band takes you to a very accelerated (those effin drums!! OMG!!) but chilled (distorted organ in bg is uber cool) trip to the dungeon and will keep you there as you hear how they improvise and let the guitar do its work, altough ALL the elements work impressively good one with each other. incredible performance here boys, and a cool twist to this twisted track. maybe the best arrangement in OCR for a zelda 1 song, and a site classic. get it now!!! this thing is too cool to pass up.

Cano

swingggyyyy

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00989 - Legend of Zelda "Link Goes to New Orleans"