OCR00990 - Final Fantasy VI "Rachel's Gift"

I really like this for the most part.

The beginning wasnt pulled off very well in my opinion. If the strings/pads had been playing on their own without the kinda 'wah' thing they had at the beginning of each note then it would have worked better.

I would also have preferred them to link to something instead of being simply a prelude for the orchestral.

The bit that really made me sit up and go "wow" was when Celes theme kicked in...in my opinion thats always been the better of the two themes used, but thats hardly a poitn of criticism of the piece.

Im glad you decided to use Celes theme in there and Im glad you pulled it off so well.

The bit with the tubular bells playing along, that made me smile, even though it wasnt a huge amount...I like how it kept in touch with the style of the OST (or is it Grand finale...whatever, one of those)

The ending is a little disappointing though...the orchestra suddenly stopping dead leaving the piano to cover it, didnt really go...not for me anyways.

but this is only something like 5-10 seconds, hardly enough to ruin the entire track.

Overall, I love it...its brilliant ^_^

Recommended for anyone who's after a moody orchestral piece.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to/downloading all the FF6 remixes. They have all been reminding me of FF6's greatness, but none so much as this. Just hearing this, I can think of Rachel and Locke, and that series of events between them. That's powerful, and this remix was able to bring back all those emotions as well. A great mix, and I'd have to say it's better than "Forever Rachel." Not that that's a bad remix, this one just captures the essense of Rachel and Locke much better. Great job, Maestrodeclure; I'm much impressed. This being your first submission, I can't wait to hear more from you.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

In the game, this was one of my favorites. Not only

that it sounded good, but it sounded so sad that I just wanted to sit there and listen to it after loop and loop. Anyhow, great that you kept the same emotional feeling in the song, and then had some of "Celes" theme as well. This is so good that I want to cry. :cry:

• 3 weeks later...

This is absolutely beautiful! I love how the song tells a story... a lot of reMixes fail to do this, plainly copying the original and changing the tempos and instruments, etc., and I personally find those boring and unoriginal. This reMix takes two of my favorite themes and adds passion and story to them, not to mention interest. This is definitely worth a download, and I recommend it to anyone!

• 8 months later...

"Forever Rachel" is one of my favorite tracks from Final Fantasy III/VI so I was overjoyed to find an orchestral interpretation of it and this fit the bill. While I can be very particular, I also liked the inclusion of "Celes's Theme".

However, unfourtantly whether it was intentional or not, you missed the accidental in Celes's Theme (aka. Aria Di Mezzo...). I believe the wrong note occurs at like 2:33 in the song. It seems that a lot of remixers miss this as well when they cover Celes's theme and I too realized I was missing the accidental as well for a long period of time when I used to play this on the piano.

So yes, it's only one note, but that one accidental magnifies the drama of the Celes/Opera piece so much. Listen for it next time and then listen to a version that misses the note and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Well now that that's out of my system, this is still a great piece and the brooding, yet hopeful mood of "Forever Rachel" was perfectly snared. At least an 8 out of 10 for me when "scoring" this piece.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Got some nice intro stuff, but starting around 1:22, it turns into a note-for-note cover of the Fantasy Reborn arrangement of the same song until Celes' theme comes in. Then, at 3:28, it goes back to being a note-for-note cover of the fantasy reborn version.

For that time, that level of coverage was fine due to the personalization involved in James's instrumentation and new writing added during those sections. They also didn't take up the majority of the track, the majority being James's own arrangement ideas.

I agree that nowadays, something like this probably wouldn't pass, due to borrowing too much from an existing arrangement. But it's not as if James wasn't upfront about the mix also being inspired by the Michael Huang/"Fantasy Reborn" arrangement of Forever Rachel! in the first place.

Got some nice intro stuff, but starting around 1:22, it turns into a note-for-note cover of the Fantasy Reborn arrangement of the same song until Celes' theme comes in. Then, at 3:28, it goes back to being a note-for-note cover of the fantasy reborn version.

Taucer's criticism is fair. However, the only parts that are "note-for-note" are the intro (source), outtro (source), and some of the structure and underscoring of the main theme. If you listen closer though there is a lot of added harmony; at that time I didn't want to touch the melody.

In all fairness, I've considered how lucky I was to get this passed then. I'm sure it wouldn't get passed now, and I'm not clueless as to why, don't worry.

If it stays on the site, score. If it gets dropped for QA, that's cool too. I would love to remake something more my own with my new equipment. Technologically, I couldn't do it then (AWE32, need I say more). I owe this mix getting posted to Vegas and a good engineering class, not to my equipment. Que sera sera.

Taucer's criticism is fair. However, the only parts that are "note-for-note" are the intro (source), outtro (source), and some of the structure and underscoring of the main theme. If you listen closer though there is a lot of added harmony; at that time I didn't want to touch the melody.

In all fairness, I've considered how lucky I was to get this passed then. I'm sure it wouldn't get passed now, and I'm not clueless as to why, don't worry.

If it stays on the site, score. If it gets dropped for QA, that's cool too. I would love to remake something more my own with my new equipment. Technologically, I couldn't do it then (AWE32, need I say more). I owe this mix getting posted to Vegas and a good engineering class, not to my equipment. Que sera sera.

It's definitely well-executed. I would love to hear more of your stuff.

What a coincidence...

What a coincidence...

Is this going where I think it is? I hope so.

What a coincidence...

Is this going where I think it is? I hope so.

To Alaska? I think not. You got some strange hopes, Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
I love the intro on this. Music's all about the silence.

The intro is awesome. As with anything, but especially art, what is there is just as important as what isn't there.

This has a nice mellow melancholy reflective medieval flow to it, like someone watching the stars from a castle parapet.

'Tis an interesting and wonderful listen.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00990 - Final Fantasy VI "Rachel's Gift"