OCR00991 - Final Fantasy IV "Over and Under"

:cry: It's so beautiful...I love how it grows from just Jason and his guitar, to a multi-layered rock song. Progression like that makes me feel like the song is going somewhere and I'm going with it. Which is good. And the vocals. Ahh yes, the vocals. They start out fine, but at 5:30 it makes me wanna cry it's so off-key. The lyrics were written nicely I must say, and overrall I can't really complain about the vocals. The musicianship was also very, unobtrusive, for lack of a better word. This pretty much is mediocre if you compared it to other songs of this genre, but the fact that it's based off a VG song makes it good. A good listen, and something new to add to your collection. (cuz I know you have one)

hello, and thank you so much dj pretzel for posting my song. as well as your candid review..

I am now doing a new version of this song, better mixed and better vocals (hopefully). I also have other plans for VG remixes, as well as some tidbits....

Ahh yes, the vocals. They start out fine, but at 5:30 it makes me wanna cry it's so off-key.

yes, indeed.. well, you see, not to make excuses, but I am a first take junkie, in the style of kurt cobain and neil young, and I have a problem with DOING THINGS OVER!! lol so, hopefully this as well as the unobstrusive (what does this mean anyway ;) ) musicianship will be solved. I am not a perfectionist, but I really do appreciate criticizm as i will really help me.

The lyrics were never meant to paralell the story of cecil the dark knight... it is certainly something i am going through.. but i realized later, thru the help of my friend, that these lyrics are very much like his plight in the game...

I would appreciate more criticism, and thank you kamikaze noodle, for yours :)

Ooo! I love this one! I sure hope that many more like this come! The more I listen to it, the more I want to hear it again. ;) Very skillfull guitarism thoughout the entire piece. Though, I am having difficulty placing the lyrics to the game, but they are well placed. This needs to be done to many, many VG songs!! :D Perhaps, though, the vocals could be more interesting if many words ended with a vowel like Goldfinger does, "TO FALL APAAAARTAH." hee hee. :) I don't even know why I like that. ;)

unobtrusive basically means it isn't bad enough to ruin the song, but now that I think of it, the guitar work was more like, "amazing". Especially now that you tell me its one take. I know this forum is only for reviews but I had to correct my stance on this song as my review made it sound like I didn't think it was as good as I think it is. AND PLEASE DO A NEW VERSION OF THIS SONG! :D:D

I sure hope that many more like this come!

you can bet on it :) I love this place, it inspires me.

Though, I am having difficulty placing the lyrics to the game

I could lyric by lyric give my interp, but just think of what cecil had to go thru in ff4

thank you andrew, for your compliments..

sorry if Im being annoying posting here over and over, but I like having an interchange wit ppl who chk my stuff out :)

It's definitely unique.

I am pretty darn sure I like it! (I'm always iffy on vocal songs from video games) but I can say for a fact that I DEFINITELY like the music going on behind the vocals. It's kind of a stairway to heaven-ish buildup from a slow solo guitar to a full blown rock ballad. I'll reserve judgement on the vocals, until I listen to it a few more times. (I'm a fan of harmony in vocals, GJ with that)

But anybody that can churn out a good seven minute song earns my respect.

/me tips his hat at you

GJ man

here i go again ...

now that you tell me its one take

well, I recorded all the tracks myself, but each track (guitar1, guitar2, lead guitar and etc.) is indeed one take.

its not a live band one take :)

ie.. it wasnt a band in a room, as you can prolly tell, I layed down the drums and piano (both sampled, played thru midi keyboard or sequenced) in FL studio 4.1, and then played bass one take, and then acoustic guitar one take, lead one take, and so on...

thanks noodle for your comments and definition.. I am tired and stupid. :)

(I'm always iffy on vocal songs from video games)

same here, I nearly choked on Eyes on Me, and Depend on You. but it grew on me lol

well, this has nothing to do with troia, which was kind of a let-down (i was really hoping someone would remix that theme).

however, this was pulled off so completely well that i soon forgot my first thoughts and just relaxed.

really, this is the kind of song where you really really hope that there were no vocal mistakes, yet you look for them anyways. to my surprise, there were no spots in which the singing ruined the remix.

my only real gripe was mentioned by vigilante in the judges decision. the piano could have been better during the guitar solo, but the good easily outweighed the bad. good stuff, and definitely worth a listen.

-rob

This is amazing. I love the acoustic part. I think I need to work on cleaning my own playing up now that I've heard this.

I'll take a stab in the dark and say you're still in your teens. Your voice is good, but I think it needs a little shining up. There might not be a lot you can do about it right now, give it a few years to develop. Whatever you do, don't stop singing!

There's a few places where the vocals sound out of tune from the main piece, and I can't tell you that I don't mind it. It's probably the one thing stopping me from burning it to a CD (although I'll probably grow to like it a lot more as I listen to it, and end up burning it anyway ... Same thing happened with the Rez mix).

You've got a really nice set of lyrics, having read through them ... Did you write them yourself?

I can't find anything wrong with the instrumental arangement. Brilliant.

Overall, this is a very solid piece. Well done!

Oh my god! Silent you are my hero!

1. A FF4 mix! I love when one gets submitted.

2. These lyrics are just great. You say it relates to you, but I could see it related to Cecil as well. ;)

3. The transitions through piece to piece are just awesome.

I hope you do the same sort of trend for other remixes. I think it would give you a nice brand for yourself.

10/10!

By the way can you post the lyrics to your remix here?

:o ...i haven't listened to anything like this in forever... used to be one of my favourite genres... i'd say it resembles the screaming trees alot more than alice in chains, however... but thats just me. very nice work for being a "first take" or something... i can't wait to hear an updated version

Great, Great, Great, Great stuff! You have a very nice voice. Everything was stellar, lyrics included.

First off, 10x the normal points for putting yourself out there, voice and all. Its easy to be critical of someone doing this, but I can't see why, as no one is willing to do it themselves.

this is great and I've love to hear more like it- you got a fan here.

And, kinda ot, but I thought I had an original idea with this whole original lyrics over vg tunes, as I have created 2 in the past year. I just didn't have the balls to release them as I wasn't sure how original lyrics would be received. (Pharmacy does NOT count LOL) BUT, thanks to silent and Star Salzman, I think I'll go ahead and throw mine out there.

Very very very emotional, with the same layout as Led Zeplin's Stairway to Heaven (but with different chord arrangements). I'm not really a build-up kind of guy. I want a good smack in the face right away when it comes to music, but for a love song like this one, it's suitable. The guitars and drums are very well comstructed, and sounds very original compared to those of Creed, Nickelback, and Linkin' Park, even though there's a bit of resemblence.

But in general, when it comes to music, I don't want foreplay, I want the whole enchilada, right now!!!!

Good stuff from the silent guy. Not outstanding, but approved. A break from monotonous techno remixing.

Dude, very awesome! I need to learn to play the guitar and sing.... :(. I am quite impressed. The only sore spot is the singing around 5:30. Everything else is A+++++++ hot stuff!

PS. Why is it that every time there is a good rock mix or something, people start their bitchin about electronic music? Sheesh.

Holy shit this is some pretty sweet tunage silent I didnt expect anyone to pull off something like this before!!. Awesome job on the vocals and guitar work definately one of the most unique remixes on this site by far! :D

Hope to hear more from you in the future!

I haven't been posting in awhile, but I HAVE been lurking/downloading, and I have to say... this is AWESOME.

You should be damn proud of yourself silent. Also, if you're interested, I know a REALLY talented young lady who has an amazing voice. I'm going to show her the piece and see if she might be interested in putting a female voice on it (or even a duet, I think, might sound really nice!)

Is this something you'd be interested in? If so, let me know. I'll totally try and arrange it if you're game.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00991 - Final Fantasy IV "Over and Under"