OCR00991 - Final Fantasy IV "Over and Under"

now don't get me wrong -- i love the songs that have been in final fantasies 8, 9, and 10 -- but this guy can put emotion into words, guitar, and rhythm. i loved this song when i first heard it. every time i listen to it again and again, it gets better for me. for years of my middle-school life, final fantasy 4 (or 2, as i knew it then on the snes) was the game for me. i played through it so many times that i had at one time had the entire dialogue scripted somewhere and i even wrote a sort of fanfiction telling of the entire adventure. so, to hear silent make this lovely ode is like a sort of dream come true for me. all i can ask, silent, is "can you do something like this for final fantasy 8?" i have had the honour of playing all the fnatasies and 8 still holds true to my heart as my favourite. it would be great if you could make something like this regarding squall and rinoa. well, not that listeners have any reason in this place but there's my two cents. keep up the awesome work, silent!

wow i hardly ever ever post but i just wanted to let you know i think that was an absolutely beautiful song

this comes from the standpoint of someone with no instrument or vocal experiance

im just a fan of good music

music is one of the few art forms left that draws an emotional response from me and your piece i can certainly relate to since im going through crap atm

exellent piece

exellent singing for an amature .........trust me only anal singing pros will complain about your voice work while average no vocal skillz joes like me will love it

your guitar work was fugging awsome and i love good guitar work

piano was weak........that was the only major niggle for me

great stuff im gonna listen to it again for like the 10th time in the past hour :P

man i have listened to this song repeatedly and am listening to it right now to get what i really think of it down

which is awesome!

a lot of people have been anal and say you sang offkey but it makes it seem more natural i guess....its hard to explain. i mean, you sing better than i do o_o

it starts off like led zeppelin ^^ like stairway to heaven which is nice

not exactly like stairway, but i mean in zepp's style, which is cool

i love the lyrics...they convey the emotion so well, and i guess i like them cause some of the lines kind of applied to a predicament i am in at the current moment

hey and i like the instrumental too...im not that smart with music but i couldnt see anything that bothered me about it. i mean, its better than a lot of the music i hear on the radio.

Not to be an ass, but the singing just about kills this song for me. To me, it sounds downright terrible. The lyrics are average, but listening to it is just painful. I'm not here to say that I could do a better job by any means, but I think I'm entitled to an opinion, even if I'm the only one that thinks this way.

The rest of the song, I must say is excellent, but the singing just makes me want to avoid listening to it.

• 3 weeks later...

It's unique as far as most of the other stuff on this site; I applaud him for not incorporating dance and/or techno. Overall the composition is very good, progresses smoothly and keeps your interest. Now for the critical stuff: At times the vocals leave something to be desired. He's not very strong in the higher notes he attempts in the last verse, and he over- and undershoots some of the melodic skips. And the angst-y lyrics, though rhythmically fitting with the music, aren't terribly unique, and are a little darker than what the melody and harmony suggest. Also in the beginning it sounds as if one of his strings is slightly out of tune. I would suggest that he get a little more practice singing; his voice has a good sound to it, but he needs practice hitting the right notes and holding a constant pitch. Overall, it was enjoyable to listen to.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, why is it named after Toroia? I didn't hear a single melodic or harmonic motive taken from the Toroia theme.

• 2 weeks later...

ahh i have been asked this before... and it is a good question.

well, i dont really have the best reason, i didnt know what else to name it! I thought it sounded good, and put that name in. i would rather have a different title, but i couldnt think of anything better.

and you are certainly right about the vocals. I hope to improve those as well someday, but i am in the midst of many other projects, and wish to have this song simmering in its present form for a while.

I have a problem with refining things. It has to be done, but i get attached to the imperfections of 1st takes...

lol

thanks for your comments

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sup, silent

im just a new user w/ a lotta music from OCR, but urs just rips the anger outta me whenever i listen to that song

cool! it could be an anger management song! or make it concide with Time Management...

anyway, that song was beautiful and could help me score a few chics jk :)

but seriously, i play, well started playin guitar, and i really wanna show off to these girls i meet, so if u could, send me tabs or contact me thru IM

since ive got all these girls on hold, will this make wonders... since i m a lonely guy soon to be going to a part of Japan w/ a lot o young hoes... but thats beside the point... just send me the tabs or the chords... or post them on the net thx --- BreakerArashiCS (AIM SN)

• 1 month later...

Great song! :) I loved it so much I made an anime music video of it. It's mostly Record of Lodoss War and Yami no Matsuei, as well as some cmputer graphics from the remake of FF4 and the original Amano pictures are in it, too. It's one of my very first AMVs, so it's not very good, but I used some neat effects to make it look like an old film reel. I couldn't resist; the song was so inspiring! I've been listening to it over and over since i downloaded it. E-mail me if you want a copy of my AMV.

• 3 weeks later...

The new version (Over and Under) sounds better with the instruments. Especially the drums. The vocals though, while easier to understand, seem to lose some of the magic of the original. I can't explain it, but I sort of miss your first try at singing it (especially when the song gets rather loud). Though the ending sounds much better now. :wink:

I'm not a musical expert so I can't say much else. I love the song and keep up the good work. Some parts sound a bit awkward, but nothing big. It's probably just because I'm used to the Tororian Love Song Version.

Remember kids, Silent loves you and I love Silent!

• 2 months later...

I dont see what every loves about this song... personally I hate it. The idea was nice, a solo guitar with some backup instruments, but then it gets to the singing. No, the guys voice is not bad, its the lyrics. They're way too sappy. Imagine putting every song about love into a machine that compresses it into one song. This is just it. I know what you're thinking now, "It says love song in the title, doofus", yes it does, and i'm sure its jsut me, but 7 minutes of this? Come on now people.

Either i'm missing something or you're all just suckers for flowery wording

• 4 weeks later...

If I was to play this song to some one who did not know FF4, they would not even realize it is from a video game. It is easily comparable to some of the other male rock vocal songs out there.

This has got to be one of the best remixes here...the guitars, the lyrics. Only problem is the singing (its kind of iffy at some places), but overall, this remix rocks!!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow,

I'm very impressed. I've always loved this song from the moment I first heard it, and the only remix I could find of it was a Celtic Remix. Wow. Incredible lyrics, and it's very inspirational. If I had half the voice you do, I'd be writing lyrics and singing to some songs, lol. Well done, very well done.

GM8

I joined this board just to post praise for this song. Silent, babe, your voice makes this little chick *melt*and your vocal range is superb. I could just hear the little anime hearts popping about my head. Please reply? Perhaps consider other remix ventures? -grins hopefully-

I love this song and all, but this morning I was listening to one of my many many songs from Nobuo Uematsu, and one popped up on my random playlist entitled "Long Distance" and immediately recognized the sound of the vocals. Though the lyrics differ greatly (japanese to english...) "Long Distance" and this sound almost exactly alike. It's probably more coincidence than intention... I hope.

Despite this I still think this is an incredible song and I hope more types of remixes are made like this.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00991 - Final Fantasy IV "Over and Under"