Google Chrome

Liontamer

for the defragger:

jkdefrag jkdefrag jkdefrag

This is a good recommendation, but which also brings up more possible recommendations such as alternative apps that take less resources than the primary popular proggy. Example, instead of using the official Quicktime app use Quicktime Alternative. Use alternative programs that use less for more performance.

First big problem for me:

TabsOnTop.png

This "tabs on top" thing they have going? Yeah, that's gonna have to be made optional before I start using this browser consistently. The fact that the mini-MMD3 Winamp fit perfectly into the bar on top without obstructing anything (so I can keep it set to "Always on top") is the very reason I use that skin, and I really like it that way.

An extra gig of memory could help your laptop,

When can you not use more memory? :-P

but also do the usual gauntlet of viral/malware checking, finding funky processes on the task manager. Heck if you haven't done so, try shutting off particular services/processes permenantly so long as you nor the lappy needs them. Make searches on processes you do not recognize to see if they're a threat and may be hogging your resources.

Already did so, nothing's wrong on that end. Mind you, I have virtually no issues with the computer normally, but when I go to open Firefox... yeesh. Let me put it this way: When I'm not doing really anything, CPU load is typically between 5-12% (I've got my antivirus, firewall, AIM and Winamp using most of that). When I just open Firefox, though, CPU load jumps to 100%, stays there for a few seconds, and then finally opens the window. And then, because of the javascript/Flash stuff on my homepage (Yahoo), I can't open any menus like the Bookmarks list for a second or two because everything is still loading up. There's similar waiting when opening up a page with lots of javascript/Flash; even the main page of OCR causes a small pause.

My RAM usage is a bit higher than I would like when not doing anything (about 60-65% usage), so I need to check on that.

Also the usual defragging/disk error checking wouldn't hurt.

Did that last week. No change.

edit: About how many browser windows/tabs do you utilize?

I typically don't have more than one window open at any time, usually with fewer than 5 tabs open at any point.

Absolutely great. Only two complaints so far:

1. It crashed (just completely closed) when I had like 10-15 tabs open and a bunch of downloads. I was downloading all the latest OCReMixes.

2. Text zoom is nice, but FF3's PAGE zoom is absolutely amazing. My eyes hurt looking at many sites and being able to zoom the whole page is very useful.

When can you not use more memory?

Technically speaking, when you hit 3 or 4gb on a 32-bit OS.

As long as it displays my webdesigns the way they were intended and look in IE and Firefox, I'm okay with this new browser thing :D

That's my concern right there.

The next browser that's 100% compatible with current HTML standards would be the first. I hope Chrome can do that, but if not, that's yet another browser designers have to test with and possibly create painful workarounds for. Does anyone see any issues with OCR yet?

Well shit...

I took a look at the task manager to see how it performs next to firefox... Not looking good; especially when everytime I open a new website on a new tab I see another "chrome.exe" on the Processes Tab popping up. While at first its small the extra "chrome.exe" can stack up... Where as in firefox it has yet to spike and already with 15 tabs...

Please those using it, check to confirm if this is happening with you guys too...

this is unusual, after a little while of browsing and working with chrome, i found that it worked the opposite of what i was expecting...SLOWER

the browser slows down a lot after a little while for me.

right clicking to open tabs seems to fail for me for some reason.

and chrome doesn't seem to like playing quicktime player inside of itself for some reason too. (works just plays very slowly)

Technically speaking, when you hit 3 or 4gb on a 32-bit OS.

... It was a rhetorical question. The very fact that :-P was at the end of it should've clued you in.

:-P

Yes, in all seriousness I'm aware of the limitations of how much RAM one can actually utilize. But right now, I don't think having more RAM is going to be worth it for this laptop; it's 3 years old and no longer under warranty. It'd probably be more cost-effective to just wait until I need a new laptop to get something more powerful.

Schwaltzvald: Yeah, each tab is supposed to have its own process identity. It might seem like this is a bad thing, but it really isn't, because on average, each tab uses less memory than a tab in Firefox. So even though it looks like a lot when using a lot of Chrome tabs, doing the same thing in Firefox is so much worse, at least for my computer.

By the way, Bleck, you need to actually open a webpage in each tab in order for the process to show up. Are you doing that?

yes and it doesn't do it for me

perhaps there are individual bugs that need kinking out but it's still working nice and smooth for me

I suggest actually reporting any bugs that you find - maybe it will actually help with this browser, unlike FireFox and IE

note: IE is the worst browser

Schwaltzvald: Yeah, each tab is supposed to have its own process identity. It might seem like this is a bad thing, but it really isn't, because on average, each tab uses less memory than a tab in Firefox. So even though it looks like a lot when using a lot of Chrome tabs, doing the same thing in Firefox is so much worse, at least for my computer.

Based on my calculations in comparison with the exact same number of tabs I was using on chrome and on firefox, FF actually did a little better, not noticable however; more of a personal nitpick of mine considering it's cluttering up my task manager... Plus they better give more options to customize it as I can only stand to see the stark white and faded blue for so long...

Yeah I'll submit to the fact that it does respond faster. I will however need it to be more softer on the eyes before I fully utilize it...