Google Chrome

Liontamer

Works great for me. I am noticing it takes up considerably less memory than firefox- I've had firefox go into the 200's and sometimes the 300's in terms of megs of memory, and I couldn't figure out why. I open 5-6 tabs (usually all I have open, anyway), some on graphic-intensive sites, and the most I've seen it go to is about 40 megs. Also, it seems to load very graphic intensive sites like ESPN.com much more quickly. I also like the homepage.

Google does it again. I might have to buy some stock. Although last I checked, Google had the highest quote of all the stocks in the world. :<

I love the amount of screen real estate it gives me without forcing me to turn anything off. But then again, it really doesn't have enough features for me. As usual, Opera trumps for offering a huge amount of options in a tight, well designed UI. I do like the idea of segregated tabs in memory, but they'll need to use less than 22 MB each before it really becomes viable, methinks.

For some reason, Firefox 3.0 loads OC ReMix pages noticeably quicker than Chrome. I really have no idea why, as I've noticed just the opposite on other websites.

But I have to say, this is a pretty intriguing Google experiment. Hope they flesh it out, and it doesn't end up in a perpetual beta like Google's other famous experiments. The UI truly does try to make the browser as unobtrusive as possible, making way for the actual web content. Hell, at first, I was looking for an option to enable the status bar before I noticed that it pops up on demand.

Well, now that I've finally had a chance to use Chrome without something big running in the background, I can say two things:

1) It generally runs faster than Firefox for me.

2) It runs WAY FASTER than Firefox for me when there's Javascript and/or Flash loading on the page being opened. Like OH WOW I CAN DO STUFF NOW faster.

Moguta, I think the issue with OCR loading slower isn't because of Chrome. The site itself right now is being slow at times. It'll be fine one second, and then really damn slow the next, regardless of whether I'm using Chrome or Firefox.

Moguta, I think the issue with OCR loading slower isn't because of Chrome. The site itself right now is being slow at times. It'll be fine one second, and then really damn slow the next, regardless of whether I'm using Chrome or Firefox.

No... it's odd, I keep getting the same result. OCR flashes right up in Fx 3.0 but it takes a couple seconds to re-render the entire page every time I navigate OCR in Chrome.

And I'm experiencing sporadic but significant (5+ second) delays in tab response. Perhaps its because I'm on a single core PC, rather than one that takes advantage of the separate processes?

Anyhow, no matter how Chrome turns out, I'm sure we'll see the more useful features make their way into Firefox some time down the line. :-)

I'm currently in my dorm room where the internet connection is iffy with firefox downloads(ie. they die. often.), and I'm using Google Chrome to post this and so far I am very impressed. I just tried a download I was having problems with in firefox, and although the speed was slower, it refused to even get close to dying. Much reliable for me. Oh, and I love the U.I.

LOL at the license agreement this comes with

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

The right to data mine - And do ANYTHING with - ANYTHING that goes through the browser?

2.3 You may not use the Services and may not accept the Terms if (a) you are not of legal age to form a binding contract with Google [...]

Lol, no one under 18 may legally use Chrome.

Source

Interestingly, compiling the program from source code (using Visual Studio 2005) means you're not subject to this nonsense. Sloppy job, Google.

Also, it seems as though Chrome has no ad blocking facilities. Can't say I'm surprised by that, as Google makes its fortunes on ads.

I am definitely staying with Opera. Chrome copied it, but not well enough to be a contender in my mind, and I'm sure most Opera and Firefox users will agree.

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

Looks like I'm keeping Firefox.

Google has a lot of good ideas, but they're basically becoming a bit of the new Apple. Their explanation on Chrome's features is so yuppie-hip it's ridiculous.

Sure, that's a good reason not to use something.

Lol, no one under 18 may legally use Chrome.

Actually, in the U.S., no one under 18 can enter into any kind of contract. Technically speaking that means a 15 year old clicking "I accept" on a EULA means nothing, legally.