Tyrian 'Asteroid Dance Part 2'

spacecowgoesmoo

First remix! I'm new at this, been composing for a little over a year now. Still a N00b. :< So, for the song, I know that it needs more original material than just moving stuff around and that last phrase I added at 1:57, but I'm wondering what everyone thinks of the overall style/instrumentation of it?

http://www.spacecowmusic.com/Music/Single/Asteroid%20Dance%202.mp3

Nice to see some tyrian remixes!

However, the instrumentation just doesn't sit well with me at all. It's very muddy and hard to follow. The background effect stands in the foreground while the actual melody is set as more of a bassline.

It's also fairly plain. There seems to be some texture but it's hard to discern and gets washed away in the melody.

Also way too close to source.

Source: http://moi.renard.free.fr/tyrianjukebox/ (NOTE: It's incorrectly listed here as part 1. In Alexander Brandon's defense, he wrote this soundtrack bloody ages ago :))

I can't honestly say that I remember this from Tyrain, but then again the only memories I have of that game are of my friend and I sitting on his computer coop-ing it up on one keyboard... good times.

I would have to say that this is one hell of a lot better than I could do after year one! BUT... personally I think that the instrumentation gets a little old after a while. Not really liking the old style electric keyboard sound that is your lead at 1:21, but the melody it carries is very nice, and thats usually what I personally focus on anyways, not sound quality. I love the way it flows though, especially with that synth bassline which has an almost percussive sound to it, almost eliminating the need for percussion at all... but its still probably a good idea to incorporate some sort of drums. If you wanted you could probably add some explosion sounds instead of cymbal crashes or something to add a little more Tyrain-ish flavor.

But hey, I'm not a judge so what I say, in the long run, really doesn't matter at all.

What bothers me most about the instrumentation is that the slightly right-panned saw-based bass is wrecking the feel. I like pretty much everything else about the instrumentation, and your marimba sound is just pretty. Oh right, the pan effect on the electric piano - not good.

The source issue is either that there's not enough source, or that it's not interpreted well enough. I tend to be source-deaf, so I'm not gonna comment too much on source, but I think this is different enough from the source FireSlash provided. I'm not a J, tho. Do take a backup of this version, I think it's a good place to keep working from. Good to have one, in caxse you're not happy wit the changes you'll make.

Dropping/replacing the bass would improve the sound significantly. I recommend replacing it, as well as removing it for part of the track. Currently, it clutters and obscures the rest of the track, but it's a good source reference so don't lose it compeltely.

The track has a functional progression, lots of nice writing and really interesting backing/soundscaping, lots of good stuff that you should let take precedence over the bass.

I think this could be good enough to get on OCR... eventually. I enjoyed it. Good stuff.

Added ~1 minute more to the middle, I really wanted to go with explosions as SFX, but it just didn't fit with the mellow mutedness of the mix so I decided to add some cadenzas instead :) Bass is dropped as well, and I changed the E. Piano instrument at the end (only a little). There was some kinda nasty panning thing in there originally. Any advice is appreciated:tomatoface:

http://www.spacecowmusic.com/Music/S...0Dance%202.mp3

The intro mallets are very SD3-ish, and I certainly don't mind.

Around 1:00 there's a really annoying tone in the backing hitting on the odd beat (or something, I gotta read up on the terminology).

Bass is much better, but it's constant presence make this a little repetitive. When you want to chill the track, drop the bass compeltely, and bring it back when you want the track to rise in intensity again. Bass comes in from the very first note in the track, and plays throughout. That's too much. I understand you might want to use it as a rhythm instrument, but it's thre same rhythm throughout, which is rarely a good thing.

Mute the bass, listen to the track without it. Then figure out where you need the bass as well as what parts sound better without it.

The speed of the mix seems to clash with this mellowness you say you want for it. I was gonna say I'd like to hear drums in this. The bass rhythm is a fast one, and the overall tempo might be fast enough to require some rhythm instrumentation, so slow it down and drop the bass for part of the track/rewrite the bass... or add drums. Either way works, but it's caught between impressions right now.

Improved, yes. OCR-level, no. Keep at it.