Vinyl Records

TheSnowStorm

Corran at my store it's a big bin about 3 records wide and like... a yard deep? Something like that.

We also get a lot of those big box sets of classical records and we put like $4 on them maybe? but that's still not very much. I did sell a few of those Time Warner "Greatest Composers" sets also!

D'oh!

I payed about $15 each for the Greatest Composer's series sets. But they were in brand-new condition so I can't really complain.

I'm really tempted to ask you to like take some pictures and stuff...but that's too much work. Plus I don't have any money to actually buy stuff right now.

It turns out that i own a record after all. I have a limited edition afi vinyl i completely forgot about from back when i was way into them (i still like them but not as much) with Miss Murder on one side (bleh...) and rabbits are roadkill on the other side (yeah!).

Other than that, i have nothing. I actually looked at the vinyls at a local music store after i got out of school for the hell of it... nothing i really liked but they did have alot of stuff.

I've got about 80+ vinyl, ranging from classic rock and disco to jazz and classical. I've bought most of them used at a local used record store, but I've also bought the occasional new record online.

Some of my favorites:

-Bobby Shad and the Bad Men - A 65 Piece Rock Workshop

-Claudja Barry - I Wanna Be Loved By You (one of my favorites as a kid; it's pressed on transparent red vinyl)

-Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place (the b-side of LP2 has a pretty neat etching)

-Final Fantasy - Many Lives -> 49mp (7")

-Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass - Greatest Hits (FINALLY found this one earlier this week!)

-Led Zeppelin - IV/untitled (My father's copy. It's not in the best condition, but it plays through fine)

-Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

-Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds

-Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

You haven't heard 'Call It Sleep' until you've heard it on vinyl; That is the most raw piece of guitar music ever.

I rather not listen to 'Call It Sleep' on vinyl. My ears will not last long due to the amazing combo of Vai and vinyl.

-Final Fantasy - Many Lives -> 49mp (7")
The got fuckin' video game music on vinyl?! GODDAMN!!!

I've got plenty of vinyl. A lot of underground punk/hardcore/grindcore is ONLY available on vinyl, so I had to buy a lot of it that way when I was into it. I've got a lot of cool limited edition vinyl in weird colors and sizes (5", 6", 8", etc), picture discs, etc. I've got a few records I could probably sell to punk collectors for some decent coin, but nothing compared to a friend who has one of the most complete collections of original early US hardcore vinyl I've ever seen. Some people pay hundreds or more for old 7" EPs. I've also got plenty of new wave (B-52's, English Beat, etc), jazz (tons, including a lot not available on CD), and classic rock albums (Steely Dan, Yes, Iron Maiden, etc) on vinyl as well.

If you are ever interested, read up on vinyl as a superior format of music. The compact disc cuts out a lot of information that while so subtle to be almost inaudible in the end actually adds a lot to the listening experience. Which is why vinyl sounds so much "wamer" than CDs. To be honest, I don't like listening to jazz CDs compared to jazz vinyl or live performances.

If you are ever interested, read up on vinyl as a superior format of music. The compact disc cuts out a lot of information that while so subtle to be almost inaudible in the end actually adds a lot to the listening experience. Which is why vinyl sounds so much "wamer" than CDs. To be honest, I don't like listening to jazz CDs compared to jazz vinyl or live performances.

This has been an ongoing debate for years, especially in the hi-fi community.

Recently I read a thread that had some great technical info about it here: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/303715-why-do-some-think-vinyl-sounds-best.html . It's not a hi-fi forum, more of a recording engineer forum that I frequent, so the discussion isn't so biased.

Frankly, it's a hard comparison. The most important thing to remember is that engineers had to specifically change their recordings to make it work on vinyl. Basically the highs and lows had to be attenuated so that they wouldn't cause the record to mistrack. Also, there was no ridiculous compression like on most music these days due to the same thing. The "sound" of vinyl is mostly the changes done to make it just work on a player. On the other hand, you can put exactly what you hear onto a CD. The limitation of a CD, though, is resolution. The "compromise" made was CDs having 16bits/44kHz sampling rates. This is much lower resolution than pure vinyl. Currently, we can record at 24bits/192kHz, which is closer to "real" life with extended high frequency pickup, faster transients, etc. Anyway, you can't use these hi-bitrate/sample rate files on a redbook CD though. Forays are being made into different CDs to play back higher-bit rate files, such as SACDs.

Anyways, sorry to ramble. It's an interesting topic. The current state of the music industry is quite complex, especially with the main form of transmitted music being mp3s, which are terribly lossy and sound terrible compared to most things. We even use it here!

• 5 months later...

I just basically acquired all the vinyl record releases of Genki Rockets for DJing purposes.

Some of you may know Genki Rockets as the virtual band that first premiered in Lumines II for PSP with the song Heavenly Star (it also made a cameo in No More Heroes on the Wii) and also on Lumines Live on Xbox Live Arcade with the song Breeze. Fun pop/house stuff with vinyl only remixes and such and only found in Japan. Good times!

I think the song "Vinyl Countdown" by relient K sums up my knowledge of Vinyl records.

I have absolutely no clue how they work.

This is something I will probably read up on with Wikipedia soon, since my interest in music has become much more technical as opposed to personal over the last year.

When I was a kid I had a record of songs for kids called Ronald McDonald's All Stars or something like that. The sleeve art had Ronald McDonald, Strawberry Shortcake, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and stuff like that on it, and there were songs by the Chipmunks and a bunch of others, including one by Shamu which I thought was strange because Shamu was female right? But the person singing "the sea is my world~~" was a deep male voice. I have no idea where the record even came from. I mostly just listened to my dad's records of stuff from the 60s.