Vinyl Records

TheSnowStorm

I'm suprised no one has mentioned http://www.backtoblackvinyl.com/ universal are among many to reissue some of their more popular vinyl back catalogue now, which includes a digital copy to download (320kbps I think, mp3). I got Cream's Disraeli Gears and I love it. Also Big Star (a record chain here in South Australia, not sure if they are national) stock heaps of old new and used vinyl stuff. Vinyl is back, at least untill scientists work out how to transmit music via lightwaves. Yes the acid rock stoners had it right all along, 'seeing' music is awesome.

There's something so nostalgic about vinyl, about having to be so careful with the disc, makes the music seem precious. My cd's get thrown around like a economic stimulus package. I've got some leo kottke (who in my opinion is the vai of acoustic guitar, he is in-fuckin-credible) some amazing stuff by Keith Jarrett, Stacks of old blues re-issues like son house, robert johnson and muddy waters, and even a original woodstock live album. God damn hendrix.

My father had a rather sizable record collection. It was about twenty or so of those cardboard storage boxes, filled with records.

I think it was numbered somewhere in the 500 or so range. They're still in the old house somewhere.

What's a vinyl?

Just kidding...

I wouldn't mind having some vinyl records. From what I've heard it's starting to become a niche market. I've seen Best Buy and Hot Topic in my area sell vinyls of different albums (most recently Chinese Democracy, Gorrilaz D Days, and Linkin Park Minutes to Midnight, but that's all I've noticed).

Vinyl is definitely the way to go. I still buy CDs now and again for stuff that's never been pressed for vinyl, but that's about it. My primary source of music has been vinyl, after my old CD collection (huge) got stolen. Now I have a diverse range I've collected in the past 13 months. Some of my favorites, which there are a lot of, include:

Jimi Hendrix: Axis Bold as Love (reprint)

My Chemical Romance: Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

Sigur Rós: Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust

Minus the Bear: Menos el Oso

Gorillaz: Demon Days

No Doubt: Tragic Kingdom

Vivaldi: Four Seasons

Chopin: lots of sonatas and nocturnes

Led Zeppelin: IV, Physical Graffiti

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Mooon, Wish You Were Here

Radiohead: OK Computer, Kid A, Insomniac, Hail to the Thief, In Rainbows(especially this one)

Coldplay: Viva la Vida, Prospekt's March

The Beatles: Abbey Road, Greatest Hits 1967-1970 (The Blue Album)

John Coltrane: A Love Supreme (deluxe reprint)

Miles Davis: Miles Ahead, Sketches of Spain

King Crimson: In the Court of the Crimson King

The Specials: Ghost Town

ELP: Brain Salad Surgery, Works Vol. I & II

Flogging Molly: Drunken Lullabies, Within a Mile of Home, Float

The Pogues: If I Should Fall from Grace with God

Rx Bandits: ...And the Battle Begun

The Shins: Oh, Inverted World, Wincing the Night Away

U2: The Joshua Tree, War

Bright Eyes: LIFTED

Cursive: The Ugly Organ

And many, many more. After having owned almost all of these albums on CD prior to their theft, I have to say I enjoy each one much more on vinyl than I ever did before. They all just sound so textural and atmospheric, it's like it's being played live in my living room. Plus, most recent pressings on vinyl also include high-quality mp3 (which is still not as good as the vinyl version, but at least they offer something) versions so you can still enjoy the music on your portable devices.

It's making a comeback. Vinyl for the 21st century!