Star Fox 'Flying High' (Nu-Skool Breaks)

ellywu2

Ok, as usual, I'm starting with a qualifier, those I hope it won't take away from my comments. I am listening to this mix on my laptop speakers and I am liking it quite a bit. Good job carpet muncher, err... sorry, monster! Another thing I'm not sure about is how it fits with the OCR standards, but I think it should be fine. I've been out of the loop for a bit, so I'm not the best person for more constructive feedback right now, so ask around, and I think it should be ready to go! Great synths and awesome beats!

No source link, no source comment.

Intro strings are really dense, not really letting the soundscaping be heard.

When the breakbeats come in, it starts getting repetitive. More variation in the beats, or some foreground stuff other than them would be nice, as it's currently mixed to put them in the foreground.

The ethno flute vanishes a little too soon when you start building up, and it's a shame, the flute sounds awesome.

Ending feels a little sudden. The piano is cut off, but I'm more bothered by how it transitionsed (or rather, didn't transition) from beats and all to just piano. It's probably a little too short too. It plays the intro, it gets started, it takes a break, it builds up, it rocks out, and it's over too soon.

It's awesome, save for those crits.

Production is very clean on this one. You have nice synth programming as well. The breakbeat part is good so far. The extra bass is a good touch and every instrument has its place and doesn't clash with anything else.

Bring up the shamisen (is that what that is?) in the ambient parts. I hear it playing faintly in the background, but I'd like it if it were more prominent.

Now arrangement-wise, I think you're trapping yourself into a corner by over-relying on the first two measures of the source. Yes, it makes a good melody loop, but don't think the judges will pass it on that merit alone. Turn other parts of the source into hooks for your remix.