Car Audio

linkspast

So I just got a 4runner with a bunch of sound equipment. I dont know a lot about it, other than It hits hard.. and sounds good. well at least in my opinion...

I was just wondering what you guys have in your cars...

and what brand this sub is. I placed a dollar to give some sort of size reference

oops, now that I think about it... the Dollar is right on the logo... Ill get a better picture later today.

HPIM0903.jpg

When I had my jeep, it used to have a pair of twin 10 Punch's, and a 1300w amp drilled to the back of the box. It hit pretty hard, especially because the jeep doesn't have a "trunk" - just that open "rear cargo area."

Box doesn't fit in my BMW though - and if I tried to make it, it'd kill most of my trunk space. So, I sold it off.

Nobody likes the high frequencies :(

Really. I mean, just for ONCE I'd like to see someone driving around in a tricked out Civic with a spoiler five times too big, crappy flame/dragon artwork on the side, and some MASSIVE PLASMA TWEETERS with PIEZOELECTRIC SUPERTWEETERS, blasting Mariah as she was truly meant to be heard, achieving new levels of canine discomfort.

Let's put the EQ back in EQUALITY!

Really. I mean, just for ONCE I'd like to see someone driving around in a tricked out Civic with a spoiler five times too big, crappy flame/dragon artwork on the side, and some MASSIVE PLASMA TWEETERS with PIEZOELECTRIC SUPERTWEETERS, blasting Mariah as she was truly meant to be heard, achieving new levels of canine discomfort.

Absolutely agree, except this approach is not quite extreme enough for me. I wanna have windows shattering all around me, people's eardrums imploding and causing mass chaos, gas stations lighting on fire for no apparent reason!!!

I have a new dream.

I have a JVC KD-G730 MP3-CD player as my receiver, but stock speakers.

h105KDG730-f_mt.jpeg

The JVC player is the only one I could find, at the time, that displayed the Artist, Track Title, Album, and Track Time all at once. Yes, that really is why I bought it. Especially if I'm previewing some newly acquired music, I like to know the details of what's playing.

EDIT:

Let's put the EQ back in EQUALITY!

Oh, sweet. Now I have a motive to upgrade my speakers! :-D

I love car audio. I have completely redone the sound systems in both my truck and car.

In my car (93 mustang)

I have 6 speakers and a sub. 5X7 Boston Acoustic in the back and 5 1/2 Boston Acoustics in the doors with Infinity 3" in the dash. I have a Pioneer Premiere 680 deck and a Kenwood Exceleon 800W 4 channel digital amp pushing them. I have a Memphis 1000W Mono channel D class amp pushing a 10" Memphis M3 class sub in a Q Logic box.

In my truck (04 Dodge Ram)

I have Memphis PR series 6X9's in the back and Memphis 6 1/2"S in the front. I have a Pioneer Premiere 680 deck and a Memphis 400W digital amp pushing them. I have a 500W Mono channel digital D class amp pushing my (2) 12" Memphis PR series subs under the seats in the back.

Anyway, I love car audio :).

I've always wondered why people spend cash on heavy audio equipment for their cars. I mean, aren't the acoustics (is that the right term in English?) horrible?

Depends on the car. Yeah, it probably won't sound as good as a home system but it can be damn close. Before I moved out here I had a series of amazing car stereos that I dropped a few grand into that sounded FANTASTIC. Certain cars have better acoustics then other though. For example, basically the same setup sounded much clearer and louder in my Jetta then it did in my Accord.

And on the frequency issue, if you have a good system it shouldn't be a problem. Unless you leave your stock speakers in and just throw a sub in the back, you should have good enough speakers to put out high frequency as well. I like Rockford-Fosgates or Cerwin-Vegas the best. When I had a convertable I put these pairs of 3 inch Rockford-Fosgate headrest speakers in and even with the top down on the highway the music was clear as ever, and the kicker in the back made sure you could still feel the bass.

Now I have the crappiest little stereo in my car. Actually have a spare set of Rockford-Fosgate 6's I could throw in but I've been too lazy. I'll have to do that this weekend.

Obviously the shape of the inside of the car will change the acoustics, but one of the biggest problems back in the day used to be that the door speakers were always placed such that your leg was always right in front of them while they were playing music. Kind of ruins the sound, blocking out a speaker with your leg. I've noticed more and more in newer cars that the speakers are placed towards the top of the door now, and even on crap stock systems it sounds much better.

In other news, I won't even talk about my sound system. Or my car. I'll get back to you on that whole thing.

Obviously the shape of the inside of the car will change the acoustics, but one of the biggest problems back in the day used to be that the door speakers were always placed such that your leg was always right in front of them while they were playing music. Kind of ruins the sound, blocking out a speaker with your leg. I've noticed more and more in newer cars that the speakers are placed towards the top of the door now, and even on crap stock systems it sounds much better.

That's why if you have a truly good set up you get some 6's in the door and tweeters up in the dash for your high frequencies, 6x9's in the back for mid-range and a sub in the trunk for your bass. At that point your stereo sounds amazing. And it could be argued that the acoustics in a car could be better than in your home stereo. Think about it, how often are you in a room the size of a car? With a big room you have to take a lot into account as far as sound distribution goes, but with a car you are concentrating everything into a very small space wich can result in some amazing sounding stereos. Plus if you have neighbors/housemates it's rare that you can totally crank your home system without being a total ass, but when you are on the road are free to destroy your hearing as much as you like. Nothing like diring on a nice road with a great system bumpin.