OCR00994 - Final Fantasy VII "Where Destiny Meets"

Hmm, odd.

Usually, I don’t like jazz remixes, but I guess this is one of those exceptions. As I listen to Where Destiny Meets, I find myself very relaxed. This is a very peaceful and smooth remix,and I recommend downloading it, just like I did. :wink:

Oh, and of course congrats to Joshua Morse for a good first submission. Keep it up! :D

I like it. Quiet, mellow, relaxing, probably good to have sex to. (I see my lady's head bobbing to the music on the couch across the room. :wink:)

Although, for the life of me, I can't place the track. Which is really weird, considering I JUST replayed FF7. (incidently, don't let any of these philistines tell you FF7 sucks as a game and isn't worth remixing - afaic, it's the best one they ever made, especially plotwise).

I'm not really sure how to describe a review. There's nothing bad whatsoever, but there's nothing that jumps at your attention. It's just a generally pleasant song through and through. Good work, and looking foward to future submissions.

Although, for the life of me, I can't place the track. Which is really weird, considering I JUST replayed FF7.

http://remix.overclocked.org/detailsong.php?songid=128

I only notice it at the very end.

And as you also said nothing really jumps out at you. At a second listen, I can tell the beginning arpeggio/wtf/Idontknowanythingaboutmusic was definitely inspired from what the original track had to offer. It is very minimal. I would have thrown something else in there. But as I look at the winamp visualization (not the big massive ones) acting smoother than normal for some reason I realize at the same time everything is really smooth, mixed at the perfect volumes and such, especially with the drums. It sounds like some longer than normal demo song you would find in a mixing program.

ahh... this was so soft and soothing. the bass didn't change up as much as i would have liked it, but it was still very nice. as said before, it was hard to figure out what song this was until approximately the last twenty seconds, when it became apparent that this was a mix of the reunion song.

i always loved this song. square was smart to have this soft song playing where you could fight the magical pots. without it's mellow qualities, i don't think i could have maxed out so much summon materia without going insane. good mix, and worth the download. at least, it was for me.

This isn't really jazz as far as I can tell. The beat does not come from any distinct style of jazz that I've ever heard. It's not Latin, it doesn't swing, and it certainly isn't funk. It's that odd semi-genre that is found mainly in Japanese productions of any sort. Anyway, this was nicely done. It doesn't really grab my attention during any section, but it makes nice background music.

I'd just appreciate it if you guys would be more careful about labeling a piece as jazz. It's not just a genre for any contemporary song that has a neat bassline or drumbeat.

Still, nice job on this.

I don't know if it was intentional, but since the name of the track has no subjet, the ID tag reads= Where Destiny Meets OC Remix. Kinda funny.

Anyways, this piece is of the smooth jazz elevator music mentality, where if it wasn't for the chord progression this probably wouldn't even be jazz. At first I felt this piece didn't develop enough, but that's an unfair judgement. As is, this is a very good listen. The electric piano gets me in that mood. Unusual use of choir samples, but I like it. Then there's the bass, which I feel almost MAKES this song. It grooves like any good bassline should, eating small children along the way thanks to its low frequencies. The drumwork gets the job done, and fits the "elevator music" style while. One thing really got to me though...

The ending. It seems so abrupt. It goes from a suspended chord back to the tonic chord, but still feels iffy. In my mind it never seems to resolve and it gets me everytime.

Overrall, a very good piece that shows jazz has a place on OCRemix. And we need more of it.

First song by Morse, first post by me. Seems like a good start!

I liked it! I think that of any game music, Final Fantasy series music lends itself best to the jazz idiom. All these wonderful 7th/9th chords fit so well under the arpeggio/scale -heavy melodies that Uematsu tends to write. What's more, your remix has a nice shape to it - loungy doesn't imply boring.

I have only two very minor gripes:

1) the woodblock-like percussion thing that starts at 1:00 or so seems too loud at certain parts when there are only soft chords going, like 1:30 or so. I think it would help to bring it down then the rest of the song gets quiet.

2) It's too short - I want more! It does loop nicely, though, so if that's what you were going for, then nevermind this gripe at all. :)

Best of luck with your remixing! I hope to hear more!

-Thr.

this is really nice, though i'd like it more if it went anywhere.

plus i don't see the mystery as to which song this is ('reunion')... it's pretty faithful. a lot of new stuff, but it never deviates that much.

good song. :)

p.s. bits of this kinda remind me of bits of the music to 'elevator action returns'. ^_~

I like the choice instruments and progression here. Everything flows smoothly and the instruments are just at the right levels. Nice arrangement/chord progression you got going on there, it's quite addicting. I wish it was twice as long, as right when it seems to take off, the song ends. Anyways, I keep finding myself listening to this song, so good work! :D

Yeah dude, sorry to burst your bubble but this song is Jazz, whether you want to accept it or not. And even if for some retarded reason that it wasn't, EVERYONE else who posted replies thinks it is? So I'd just appreciate you learning what Jazz is before you mouth off about someone elses song k?

I told you that I like it, but I still don't think that it's jazz. I'm a jazz bassist, I play paying gigs in a number of combos, I'm a member of a high school band that wins jazz festivals all over the country.

I really don't want to start some sort of fight, I'm not mouthing off about anything. Your ReMix is professional and well-produced. I enjoyed listening to it, not as a jazz piece, but as a laid back and ambient theme.

Very mellow mix, It has the same sort of feel as the music in Phantasy Star Online. It might not change much in style as it proceeds, but I wouldn't mark it down on that. Overall I think its a good mix, and worth listening to, I like it.

• 6 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00994 - Final Fantasy VII "Where Destiny Meets"