OCR00995 - Final Fantasy III "The Dark World (Crystal Abyss Mix)"

djpretzel

Starts out with a nice singular instrument playing, then abruptly adds a voice, which was kind of unexpected in a bad way. Strings come in to compliment the voices. Seems ok, kind of slow at start. The synth coming in isn't that cliche, but I'm not one to really flinch at synths unless they don't sound right with the mix, and would let someone else decide for the subject of cliche anyway. Soon after the synth does its little thing, drums present, 4/4 beat, but definitely not overpowering, and with other drums going on to blend it together into a nice flowing piece with a harmonic melody. I like it. Nothing is annoying, and all the holes are filled.

It seems like there's two parts to this mix even though the harmonic melody just comes back after the short break, which invites all those variation junkies to come for a visit. It is definitely an improvement upon the 8-bit wonder sounds and is a fresh song that I've never heard before and don't think has been mixed. I would so no reasons why this wouldn't be on OC.

Oh yeah, I have some of other Ubik mixes from VGmix 1.0, and they are also great and would gladly like to see every mix he has done =)

This is pretty cool. The arrangement sounds nice and the song structure is good. I'm not sure if I like that synth that is moving around during the whole song. It kinda doesn't serve much purpose other than to fill up that required "fast-moving wierd distorted synth pattern" that trance usually has. While it fills that gap, its not that super or interesting to me. My other gripe is that all of the other sounds are pretty much just long chords. There aren't any interesting note or gating patterns or anything. Just mostly the an arangment of the original (I'm assuming, never heard the original) in the same style but with drums and that synth. Nothing is moving around quickly keeping the intensity up except for that synth I'm not so hot on. It is enjoyable however, just not rockin my world. I do like the drums that start at 4:25. Very cool there. Overall, I dig it.

very mellow...kinda churchy at first bout 1:07 it picks up but still isnt interesting. I actually feel like skipping through to see if it gets better. It gets catchy but repetitive. Ill keep it in my playlist a lil while.

3 order eye rolls outta 5 :roll::roll::roll:

I hate to brag, but I was the one on GameFAQ's to plead with Ubik to submit this mix here. I found it a while back on vgmix.com and was surprised not to find it here.

I'm glad he finally submitted it. It's premium stuff and djp sums it up quite well.

It's also the second FF3J remix on this site. A game, IMHO that deserves MUCH more recognition.

This is a fantastic song. Goes from a soft little diddy to a full-blown rockin' tune. Granted, SGX is right in that that first synth (sounds phased) doesn't really do anything too amazing, but I think it gives the song more movement. The harp also helps in this area. The synths overall are well used and not bad by any stretch. The drums do their job well and REALLY get goin at 4:25, with those Bass Drum Hits of Doom. DJP's right in that there's no strong bassline. Occasionally I hear some low end noise, but I can't even tell the notes. Good ending though. Overall, this song knows what it's doing, and never really lets down, making for a good listen.

Kudos to you, Ubik. :nicework:

I played FF3j a long time ago, right after the NeoDemiforce patch came out for it and there were only a few songs that really stood out for me...this remix, however, is phenomenal! Incredibly mellow but with a driving beat, the tune starts out soft then begins to swell around 2:00; it never gets overwhelming, and the choice of instrument/voice is very fitting.

Great job man, this is a remix that's gonna stay in WinAmp for a long time!

• 2 weeks later...

i really like ff3j's soundtrack, and it's nice to see it getting some well-deserved attention.

unfortunately i don't really enjoy this track. frankly, it bores me. it's all done fairly well, there's nothing to complain about; i just find it generally uninteresting. after the first few minutes, it's pretty obvious where the song's going to go, and it doesn't really deviate from that. which is not a crime in itself i suppose, but it's just ...'not enough' for me. there's nothing in the track that makes me want to listen to it; it just takes up seven minutes of my life, during which time i find the track to be too flat/weak for it to make me get up and dance, and too obvious for me to sit there nodding wistfully and going 'oh yeahhh.' ;)

respectable effort, however. aside from 'hooks', it's not really missing anything major, so it's not an uncomfortable listen. just a long one, and not one i want to repeat many times.

i've listened a few times, and tried to get into it, but for me it's not a keeper.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

FF3 is the only game I never have completed, plus FF8 but my bro completed that one for me so I know how the end is. ANYWAY, I recognize this song, and yes, it does has some lovely trance sounds to it. It´s one of the better ones on this site, some cool synths with beats and techno stuff making their sounds in the background, it´s techno alright, and for those who adore that style, no need to hesitate for them, this one is solid.

• 2 years later...

It took awhile to get through that super extended intro, and so I can see what people mean by getting bored. Once it picks up it's better, but the high end synth sounds pasted onto the soundscape, rather than living in it, and the choir sample is pretty weak.

Pretty decent textures, and the source is a nice melody, but the production issues and overly-extended intro make it sound more like a decent work in progress rather than a polished, finished work.

The breakdown was pretty cool with the super-compressed drums, and then back to the same chord-chord-chord legato progression. Not really my style; sorry dude.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I remember downloading this the day it was posted on this site. For my ears, it has always been a standard for how to take an original track, and improve it by about ten-fold while making it your own. I cannot listen to the original without thinking of this arrangement. There's a story to be told here. The intro is a set up to the final stage, 1:05 - 3:53 is the final stage, 3:54 - 5:56 is the final battle, and the rest writes itself. It still remains one of the most cinematic trance arrangements you'll find here.

I'm fine with the extended intro; I find it atmospheric. The samples are showing their age but don't ruin the song; quality samples would make this fantastic. Speaking of atmosphere, I would say this is one of the more interesting techno mixes on the site. The lush harmonies sit over the driving drums and watery bass to make something otherworldly sounding. Pretty good mix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00995 - Final Fantasy III "The Dark World (Crystal Abyss Mix)"