OC ReMix Interviews Composer Patrick Zimmerli

djpretzel

OC ReMix Interviews Composer Patrick Zimmerli

By: David Lloyd, dlloyd@ocremix.org

"I'm more interested in developing my own ideas as an artist. If a director or creative team approached me to work on a film or game who is familiar with my music and wants my particular style for the film, that would be very interesting to me. So far that hasn't happened, but you never know what may come up...
"

- Patrick Zimmerli, OC ReMix Interview

September 6th, 2008

Fairfax, VA -- OverClocked ReMix today published its second video game composer interview, with contemporary classical and jazz composer Patrick Zimmerli. Zimmerli is known more for his original work, and has only scored a single game. The interview itself begins by explaining this unusual choice:

"...For every composer who chooses to work primarily in video games, there are dozens more who might compose for one or two games, then proceed (or return) to work in film, television, or composing original standalone works. In 1997,
Patrick Zimmerli
composed the soundtrack for the PC game
Evolution: The Game of Intelligent Life
, a precursor to future evolution-centered games like the upcoming
Spore
. It was his first and possibly last game soundtrack, but it's not that he quit making music: on the contrary, Patrick is a successful jazz and contemporary classical composer living in NYC and writing myriad original works, in addition to composing for film and television.

We wanted to see what the one-time experience of composing for games was like for a composer whose primary focus wasn't game composition at all. Patrick was a little surprised when we contacted him out of the blue, but we feel that his answers to our questions were insightful, entertaining, and relevant to understanding more about the world of game music."

The interview is available online at http://www.ocremix.org/info/Composer_Interview:_Patrick_Zimmerli.

About OverClocked ReMix

Founded in 1999, OverClocked ReMix is an organization dedicated to the appreciation, preservation, and interpretation of video game music. Its primary focus is www.ocremix.org, a website featuring hundreds of free fan arrangements, information on game music and composers, resources for aspiring artists, and a thriving community of video game music fans.

Links