I need a classic RPG

Halt

Lufia II - Rise of the Sinistrals (PLAY THIS FIRST BEFORE LUFIA I FOR GOD'S SAKES) (SNES)

I actually played the first Lufia before the second one came out, and I remember being mildly curious about Maxim and his crew etc. Then I played Lufia II, and I think honestly that knowing what happened at the end because of the first Lufia made the second game that much more awesome. Seriously, references to the first game and stuff were way cool.

Anyway if you can get through the first Lufia because of all the really really annoying random battles every step, I'd recommend playing it first, just because from my POV, playing the first made the second even better. But that's just me. Also did I mention Lufia had the worst random monster encounter rate since NES dragon warrior games?

Also speaking of Dragon Warrior (Quest), play my favorite: Dragon Warrior IV, for the NES. I love this game. Seriously, it's highly recommended. Two other people have mentioned it!

For Emulation

-Fire Emblem: Dark Sword and Light Dragon (NES)

-Mother/Earthbound Zero (NES)

-Ys I & II (NES)

-Fire Emblem 4: The Genealogy of the Holy War (SNES) (PLAY THIS FIRST BEFORE PLAYING ANY OTHER FIRE EMLBEM GAMES! IF YOU GET ANGRY EASILY, DON'T EVEN BOTHER WITH THE CLASSIC FIRE EMBLEM GAMES!)

-Fire Emblem 5: Thrica 776 (SNES)

-Star Ocean

-For Actual Carts (Good luck finding these!)

-Earthbound

-Chrono Trigger

Ys Books I & II (For the DS although it has seen previous ports)

The Ys series in general is awesome, but sadly the only games most people are familiar with are some of the more mediocre games in the series (Ys III: Wanders from Ys, and Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim -- although they're both decent).

I've imported Ys I & II Complete (SNES-esque), Oath in Felghana (an overhauled remake of Ys III, turning it from the worst game in the series to the best), and Ys Origin (a prequel to the whole series), and they're all absolutely awesome (with translation patches available for the first three).

Very action-packed and gameplay-centered, with a definite oldschool vibe to the challenging boss fights and awesome soundtracks (which need far more remixes!!!). If you particularly like stuff like Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma, you should definitely check into Falcom's stuff, since Quintet was founded by former Falcom staff and definitely had a similar style and quality to their games.

EDIT: I should just let this page do the talking

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/ys/ys.htm

You just posted music from the game not actual game play :razz:

Just edit your post for future references :)!!

A personal favorite

Valkyrie Profile (PS1)

Oh right can't forget going over the top so...

*Chokes on dough nut* Holy crap dude, this looks sweet.

As for a suggestion you could always try "Wonder boy in Monster world" and "Gemfire", granted they were both on the Genesis. In all honesty there are many more titles you should play before these two though, but I hadn't seen them mentioned yet.

Oh I can't believe I almost forgot! Ogre Battle on the SNES, but I'm going to warn you now it's not really a weekend rental kind of game. Taking this game down can take some time... *Sigh* I love Deneb.

There are a few that if you haven't played, you absolutely have to...

Chrono Trigger

Super Mario RPG

Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2; the best in the series IMO)

Secret of Mana

Earthbound

It's a bit cliche at times but I've really been enjoying Tales of Phantasia. And I know you asked for NES or SNES games, but if you've got a GCN/Wii or a Dreamcast, you've gotta play Skies of Arcadia. Very very fun game in a very very unique setting.

Anyone know any RPG with a particularly engaging storyline? I enjoy the genre, but Chrono Trigger and Skies of Arcadia are the only ones that have ever held my interest long enough for me to finish the game. I haven't even finished a Final Fantasy yet, though admittedly I've only tried the SNES ones.