I need a classic RPG

Halt

I thought piracy was against the rules.

I am so confused I do not know what to believe anymore.

Posting links to ROMs is against the rules.

if you can get around the PAGES AND PAGES AND PAGES OF UNSKIPPABLE DIALOG then yeah golden sun is pretty awesome

Yeah Golden Sun has great gameplay and a great system, but the dialogue and story always felt a little stiff and flat. It's probably one of the most overrated GBA games.

Not that it's bad; it's worth a look.

May as well add it to the rest, not that I dislike it as I played the hell out of it way back then. Just that too many posters are being redundant. Unfortunately I'm going to be redundant here as well.

Chronotrigger (SNES) (With unused battle music :D )

Earthbound Gameplay (SNES) (It's one of those games that you'll have to play to get it and even then that may not happen. Still good nonetheless)

Tales of Phantasia was only mentioned once, I believe. But, it's my favorite RPG on the SNES (definitely over Chrono Trigger and FF6/3--though I liked both of those).

It was only released in Japanese for the SNES and Playstation, although there's:

- an English version released for the GBA (based on the PSX one, so I recommend this one first)

- plenty of GameFAQs resources for the SNES Japanese version

- an English patch/ROM for the SNES version

I'm afraid I can't help you with the third option. Just the first two.

Also, Mad-Gear tends to have copies of the Super Famicom and PSX versions of Tales of Phantasia available, at least at conventions. Both for a really low price, I should add. KF

haha why are you asking for good games when you would hace to onw them to download the rom

You tool you're not allowed to download roms regardless if you owned the actual game. Doesn't mean it would stop any one from downloading them or creating them to begin with...

In any rate

Shining Force II (sega Genesis)

Tales of Phantasia

haha why are you asking for good games when you would hace to onw them to download the rom

Wow. I remember getting into a argument about racism with you. <_<. Although your comment makes not much sense to me.

The thing is. You can get ALMOST any game/program, if you know were to look.

The Ultima series would be worth taking a look at. The Wizardry series as well. Both take a LONG time to finish though...

Also, the Dragon Quest Monsters series is worth taking a look at, though it's for the GBC/A/DS.

I have heard of thoes two. Dragon quest mosters, I own. wasnt too fond of it either. I will def look into The Ultima series though.

If a mod could, Merge these two posts?

Breaking News!

Nah, just kidding. :)

We are well aware of that bit of information, Mr. CodinCody.

I would Imagine so, im just very opinionated. xD.

Now, I must clean this laptop out to get some new programs on it lmao, for some NES and SNES games ;p

Yeah Golden Sun has great gameplay and a great system, but the dialogue and story always felt a little stiff and flat. It's probably one of the most overrated GBA games.

Not that it's bad; it's worth a look.

That old trick. Overrated? YES/NO

But yeah, the dialog is plain old OBNOXIOUS and the puzzles maybe even more so.

Also, to the thread creator, suck it up and buy some PS2 RPGs. Namely Xenosaga trilogy which must cost $15 total at bargain bins at GameStop. Or Suikoden 3-5 at similar pricing.

Oh, and the old Tales games are typically at $15 or so. Amazing deals.

Xenosaga trilogy which must cost $15

Where the hell do you live? I've been trying to find the 3rd act for a good while now and I've only ever seen it on amazon (fuck ebay) for something like $50... Also all gamestops where I am ever have are xbox games in the cheapo bins, except for that one time I managed to get a copy of "Castlevania: LoI" still wrapped in its plastic.

Ogre Battle (SNES). Not really a straight-up RPG, almost like an RTS meets tactics kinda game, but still pretty awesome, especially if you're looking for something a bit different.

Actraiser (SNES) - sidescrawler/rpg/sim. A lot of fun, and pretty unique. Epic soundtrack. FYI, Actraiser 2, however is pure sidescrawler.

Legend of Zelda (NES) and A Link to the Past (SNES) - Has anyone suggested these yet? (apologies, if they have)

Crystalis (NES) - Plays in the vein of Zelda, Soulblazer, etc.. An under appreciated NES gem, with some great music.

Also:

Soul Blazer

Secret of Mana

Chrono Trigger

I know this thread is primarily for NES/SNES RPGs, but since someone mentioned the Ultima series I can't resist chiming in. It's a great series, but the console ports were generally inferior. I'd really reccomend getting the original PC versions instead. You can probably still get the Ultima Collection (Ultimas 1 thru 8) off of eBay or something for a reasonable price. Here's a quick guide to the series. Keep in mind earlier titles are tricky to run well on modern machines - the Collection packages "moslo" with them to slow them down, but you might have better luck using DosBox.

Ultimas 1 and 2: historically important as some of the first CRPGs, but probably not of interest to the casual fan. but if you buy the Collection anyway, you can judge for yourself.

Ultima 3: good place to start if you want to go chronologically. an old favorite of mine. (I actually do have the nintendo version of this one which I did enjoy as it was my first RPG, but in comparison to the original version it's poorly balanced and obfuscates a few key points in the game, although the graphics and sound are nicer).

Ultima 4: available for free, legally! members of the "Ultima Dragons" fan club have permission to distribute this game free of charge, so everyone here really ought to at least check it out. http://xu4.sourceforge.net/ is a good place to download the original game and the fan-made graphical upgrade (reccomended), and they also provide a fan-made remake of the engine to ease setup on modern systems which I haven't yet tried.

Ultima 5: where the plots start getting really good. the original is quite good (although the turn-based tile-based combat can get a bit tedious), but there's also an excellent fan remake made as a (very extensive) mod for Dungeon Siege:http://www.u5lazarus.com/

Ultima 6: great game, doesn't need any serious upgrades or workarounds on modern systems (although moslo or dosbox is still a good idea). somewhat eclipsed by the titles before and after it in the series, but well worth playing and I reccomend playing it before 7 so as not to spoil its plot.

Ultima 7 (and Ultima 7 part 2): masterpiece of the series. unparalleled for its detailed, immersive, interactive world. also the hardest game in the series to get running, or at least it used to be. now you have two excellent choices: for absolute authenticity, use DosBox. Your other option is the amazing fan-made engine, Exult: http://exult.sourceforge.net/index.php Exult uses the original data files and comes darn close to perfectly emulating the original engine - there are a few differences as they couldn't quite reverse engineer everything, but there are also a few less bugs.

Anyone know any RPG with a particularly engaging storyline? I enjoy the genre, but Chrono Trigger and Skies of Arcadia are the only ones that have ever held my interest long enough for me to finish the game. I haven't even finished a Final Fantasy yet, though admittedly I've only tried the SNES ones.

Try Terranigma for SNES. It's a bit more action/RPG than RPG, but it has quite the story going for it.

what

that wasn't even an opinion

Opinion.. Statement. Whatever. I like to speak my mind a little to much..

More on Topic though,

Is it just me, or does Final Fantasy 1. Just tell you were you go with out any direction, kinda just Drop you off and send you away to roam around mindlessly to find it, or having to talk to everyone to find it? Even then You sometimes are lost.