Looking for information on orchestra libraries

benprunty

budget is the biggest issue - but it really depends on what your trying to do. you may not need or even know how to use all the articulations that comes with VSL(Vienna Symphonic Library) or EWQLSO (East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra) Platinum. I think GPO (Garritan Personal Orchestra) is one of the best bang's for bucks. Its like 200 bucks, sounds great, and gives you just about everything you need. Kontakt 3 is another option. They give you VSL instruments and the ability to load soundfonts or other sample libraries plus tons of other instruments.

The usual recommendations for budget orchestral libraries ($200 and less) are GPO and EWQL silver. I've heard different perspectives, but it seems that the consensus is usually about 75/25% in favor of EWQL. I personally recommend EWQL because I like the louder more bombastic type of sound that it brings, although it can handle most everything pretty convincingly. Can't speak to GPO from personal experience.