OCR01003 - *YES* Treasure Hunter G 'Linoleum Stalactites' *FT*

Protricity

Hi Prot,

It's been 3 months now and I haven't seen it on the judges forum list, so I'm pming you the submission information as you told me to do so. I just wish I would've saved my old submission email. Ah well, here's the info:

Artist: Adhesive_Boy

Game: Treasure Hunter G (this was for a contest, so I don't know much about the game itself)

System: SNES

Title: Linoleum Stalactites (the best I could come up with...sad, isn't it?)

Song remixed: The World's Cavern 1 (it's called "THG17" on the SPC I have from zophar.net)

Composer: John Pee (again, not 100% sure. That's what it said on the original SPC I had of just that tune, but it's not one from zophar. I can upload it if you want. And the name does make me giggle a little bit.)

Email: (I'd like this to be added to my Remixer profile, if possible)

I also have been told that this game is by Square and released in Japan only. Anyone (judges, djp, or some random people off the street) know this for sure? I probably should've found the rom before I submitted this...

Anyway, if you want specifics, you can read the id tag. There are some EQ-ing problems that I had no idea how to work out then and a few other minor issues like the fact that the lead is kinda strange...I wasn't really trying to replicate a real guitar sound, it just sounded right to me at the time, and it kind of simplifies the original tune, but overall I'm pretty confident in this one. I hope you enjoy it!

- Adhesive_Boy

----------------------------------

Well...I'm a dumbass. Here it is:

There you go.

- Adhesive_Boy

NOTE: He says all the drums are his, no drumloops. I've seen his drums before, so I believe him.

Yeah, I actually kinda like this one... it's a little weird, sure, but some

neat sounds going on here. However that EQing problem that he

mentioned really does make what could be a pretty tight little track

feel sloppy and weighed down. The drums could use a hair more

compression, especially on the bass drum. The 'cavern' feel is

there with some of the more airy reverbish stuff, but that lead

could be brought out alot more with some proper attention to

the bandwidth of the ear... there's just too much stuff going on in the

same section of the spectrum.

Despite these technical gripes, it's a neat little track, though I'd really

like to hear it cleaned up a bit more. So although I think it could be

better, it's got my vote.

YES

5/4 is interesting.

i dont know anything about the original either. i like the mood, the feel. dont know how else to explain it. its kind of pseudo-ambient in a way. nice guitarish sound.

its abstract. the ideas jump around, but it doesnt seem dishevled or random. nice panning,great dynamics.

i'll repeat, this is on the abstract side. not everyone who listens to this one will like it, but i certainly do, and it is a well done mix, regardless of taste.

I really wish it werent lacking so much in the low-end.

YES

I remember once, my roommate was trying to show me how to dance to 5/4 techno music. He essentially said "yeah, you just add an extra bop in there after four..." well if you'd seen it it would have made sense. But most people would get lost with that kind of thing on the dance floor. Fortunately, this isn't Club OverClocked, so we're open to different ideas here. Actually I'd like to see people try and dance to a 5/4 song out on the floor...

ANYWAY

I actually like that lead sound. The 5/4 part doesn't bother either. And since my tracks have always been such an equalizing nightmare, I don't really hear the problem, unless you're referring to the compression in the pseudo jungle part (which, by the way, is a great way to interpret the 5/4 time)... actually I really like that junglesque beat to the 5/4 time. I'm gonna give this a yes simply based on the variety, and the creativity that was used to interpret such difficult subject matter. Not to mention it's enjoyable to listen to.

YES

D