Download Red Alert 1 Free!

StarZander

I didn't see this on this forum anywhere, so here it is.

As a part of EA's campaign to promote Red Alert 3, you now have the opportunity to download the very first Red Alert game, completely free! Both the Allied disc and the Soviet disc can be downloaded from EA's own mirrors, but others has since put them up on their own servers, so you an get them from various places.

Here's EA's own mirror and news about it:

http://www.ea.com/redalert/news-detail.jsp?id=62

Just scroll to the bottom of the page to find the download links.

I just wish they were offering RA2 for free as well (and not for free only if you pre-order RA3).

I'm missing the Soviet disk ever since I leant it to a friend. Oh well.

I'm probably more excited about playing the original RA, than RA3 itself. Probably because I was just disgusted at EA for announcing that they were releasing yet ANOTHER RTS pretty much right after Kane's Wrath was released.

I'll stick to my Starcraft 2 thanks.

I just wish they were offering RA2 for free as well (and not for free only if you pre-order RA3).

I'm missing the Soviet disk ever since I leant it to a friend. Oh well.

I'm probably more excited about playing the original RA, than RA3 itself. Probably because I was just disgusted at EA for announcing that they were releasing yet ANOTHER RTS pretty much right after Kane's Wrath was released.

I'll stick to my Starcraft 2 thanks.

Kind of balanced out by the fact that there was a 4 year gap between Generals and C&C3.

I was in the Ra3 beta. I'd not recommended playing it.

RA 1 is still the best Red Alert of them all in my opinion. Sure RA2 was great, but RA 1 was better and had depth that enhanced the entire C&C series.

RA3... it's just not red alert any more. Sure change is good, but it seems to be entirely different (in a bad way) now with Red Alert slapped on (reminiscent of Golden Eye: Rogue Agent by EA) and some skimpy sluts overly promoted to get sales.

They've milked the series to death now.

C&C3 and Kanes Wrath was tolerable, but RA3 is unforgivable.

Awesome. I was actually on my way to, ehum, get this game soon anyway. Been listening to its soundtrack some recently. It's still very enjoyable, and hell march isn't the only good one in there! "Face to the enemy" 1 and 2 are the best songs in the soundtrack, imho, but there are several others, too. I wonder when this game will get its first OCReMix...

Actually there are two remixes already on OCR.

http://www.ocremix.org/game/command-and-conquer-red-alert-win/

But yeah, all this RA3 advertising makes me want to dig out the original CD's and play this game. I still love it. And yes, the soundtrack is truly memorable, gotta love Hell March. I also love the fact that you can change songs any time you want to.

"Ok, I'm going in for an attack. What should I play to get in the mood? Oh, yeah..." (And the stomping of the marching feet begins...)

Speaking of Red Alert. Im not interested in downloading the Red Alert 3 beta, cause with my internet, it will take like 7 hours...

So if anyone is interested. PM me and i will hook you up with the beta, I do have Access. So Yeah. Just to throw that out there. Nobody on my msn wants it. so if you do. Contact me via pm.

What's up with all them supermodels joining the army? u_u;

Anyway, I can't play it (Red Alert 1) on my Vista, or my XP so there's no need for me to get the download ;_; My original discs are already not working.

Too bad, I really liked the game, but I can't be bothered to find all these hacks and things to play the game anyway...

I'll just go play Dune 2000 instead :D

Anyway, I can't play it (Red Alert 1) on my Vista, or my XP so there's no need for me to get the download ;_; My original discs are already not working.

Too bad, I really liked the game, but I can't be bothered to find all these hacks and things to play the game anyway...

I think the download site contained instructions on how to install it. Maybe these discs aren't identical to the ones you have - I doubt EA would expect you to "hack" their own game.

Vista: http://www.cncworld.org/?page=features/tutorials/rafree_vista

XP: http://www.cncworld.org/?page=features/tutorials/rafree

EDIT: However, it's pretty unlike EA to refer to a webpage containing the sentence "The files have been compressed to save on filesize (and so EA can add unnecessary promotional material)" for installation instructions... I wonder if EA is aware of this sentence. Heh heh.

Awesome. I was actually on my way to, ehum, get this game soon anyway. Been listening to its soundtrack some recently. It's still very enjoyable, and hell march isn't the only good one in there! "Face to the enemy" 1 and 2 are the best songs in the soundtrack, imho, but there are several others, too. I wonder when this game will get its first OCReMix...

Where did you find and listen to such tracks?

Frank K. is awesome by the way. Assuming it was composed by him.

So, having played RA for a few hours, I start remembering what frustrated me about it and why newer RTS's are better.

1. Units have a horrible tendency to go closer to a target than they need to - if ordered to attack, they won't stop moving when they're in range to fire, but will sometimes keep moving way too far, and will often get killed as a result, sometimes without ever firing themselves. Also, sometimes units will not attack at all if, when ordered to attack, they are in a selection of units some of which are already attacking - that is, if ordered to attack, they sometimes won't.

2. Pathfinding is horrible.

3. You can't queue up production, so if you want to build 10 tanks, you have to wait for the first one to finish production before you can click to begin production of the next one, etc.

4. Left-click ordering sucks. Instead of ordering a unit to do something, you often select another unit by mistake, since both are done with the same mouse button. Right mouse button deselects. Honestly, this is incredibly stupid.

5. Unit range (that is, how far they can fire) seems to be completely random. I.e. e.g. one "infantry" (the little soldiers with machine guns) can shoot up to 5 map tiles, sometimes he can't fire at a guy standing right next to him without having to run even closer. I guess this has something to do with 1.

6. Unit awareness. A tank shooting at a bad guy will stop shooting when the bad guy is dead, even if there's another bad guy right next to him. The tank will have to back to idle mode and then start attacking the other bad guy - but only if under attack by said other bad guy. Gaaah!

7. Ballistics. Tanks can't hit anything that moves - they'll keep firing at the position where the object was at the time they fired, instead of trying to aim for where the object will be when the shot hits.

8. Tanks also can't move and fire at the same time unless they have been ordered to attack (in which case they will behave as in 1.).

Anyway, it's a pretty enjoyable game, but all these little things are incredibly annoying. I wish EA would do the same thing with NFS4 (including XP compability instructions / patch).

EDIT: However, it's pretty unlike EA to refer to a webpage containing the sentence "The files have been compressed to save on filesize (and so EA can add unnecessary promotional material)" for installation instructions... I wonder if EA is aware of this sentence. Heh heh.

Either they're poking fun at themselves or it's another disgruntled EA employee. Still pretty funny.

Also,

HOLY FRIGGIN' CRAP... FREE C&C RED ALERT?! HECK YEAH!

Seriously. This is probably my all time favorite game that I never got a chance to own. Ah the memories. My friend would bring it over all the time and we would have epic singleplayer skirmishes. I never thought superpowered arms races could be so much fun. Probably the only RTS where I actually had fun playing multiplayer with all superweapons enabled too.

But this release comes totally out of left field as far as I'm concerned. I have a newfound appreciation for the evil overlords at EA.