Soundcard, guitar and remix questions

So I have an Emu 0404 soundcard and a cheap guitar.

So I tried recording guitar and doing stuff with it on Reaper by connecting the soundcard with a guitar cable. So far so good, but...

I think I'm doing some really wrong here...

Laugh at me if you want, but I'm feebly attempting to get into this remixing for the millionth-ish time here and I THINK I'm starting to have a better handle of these things...

Not sure what a Hi-Z input is, but I have it hooked up with a guitar cable into the white pci card L input. I'm pretty sure I'm going by the standard 0 db and not over it...

Also, my guitar actually makes regular flat guitar tone albeit in very low volume even on the max volume on my guitar. So I tried recording on Reaper with the recording monitor ON in one track with initial excitement, only to realize that its very disorientating and odd to have two seperate noises coming from the guitar through my speaker and whats actually BEING recorded. Even more so because the noises aren't quite in sync with each other....

So I'm either thinking that either 1. I need a proper preamp or something or 2. I need to tweak my patchmix dsp accordingly...which is something I have no clue about. : d

So get a $20 DI box and use that till you feel ready to advance to a fully functioning audio interface/monitor/mixer setup.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-ULTRADI-DI400P-Passive-Direct-Box?sku=182498

That's the cheapest one I could find. My guess is that it'll work damn well compared to what you're used to.