Chrono Trigger 'Factory Ruins' (attempt #2)

HoboKa

Hmm. I really like the way this is interpreted. I dunno if it would make OCR, but I can still make some suggestions as far as production goes.

The snare. I dunno I think the snare sticks out a bit. Automate to make it less... obtrusive during the intro. Also, there seems to be a lot of mud, probably the result of reverb. I think if the bass is a bit dryer I would be able to actually hear it.

The layering at 2:05 is really cool. A little clarity on the part of some of the instruments would lend itself to being better.

This being said, I am a bass player so I have very specific bass ideas in mind, but take that one with a grain of salt. Try it, but don't take it as law. I like the ideas though.

The snare works later in the song.... meh maybe I'm just being picky. Solid mix IMHO.

Hmm. I really like the way this is interpreted. I dunno if it would make OCR, but I can still make some suggestions as far as production goes.

The snare. I dunno I think the snare sticks out a bit. Automate to make it less... obtrusive during the intro. Also, there seems to be a lot of mud, probably the result of reverb. I think if the bass is a bit dryer I would be able to actually hear it.

The layering at 2:05 is really cool. A little clarity on the part of some of the instruments would lend itself to being better.

This being said, I am a bass player so I have very specific bass ideas in mind, but take that one with a grain of salt. Try it, but don't take it as law. I like the ideas though.

The snare works later in the song.... meh maybe I'm just being picky. Solid mix IMHO.

Thanks. I'll see if i can tweak these issues. Muddiness is def. a problem x_x even though i mixed at half volume. Lol.

Yes, _I_'m the hobo here.

Snare could use a little more of its high range. After 1:53, the drum writing gets poorly synched, probably your excessive snare writing. Finding a softer snare to alternate between might improve that, but you still have to deal with the timing.

Saws panned hard in both channels. Could be more varied, it gets a bit thick sounding. Gets a bit thick and unclear sounding. Maybe that's your idea of OCR's sound, but then you've probably listen too much to Darke's tracks.

Clutter towards the end, those saws could play something more supportive instead of detracting from melody. Toms in the end are a bit too exposed, which doesn't sound good. Maybe you can cover them with bass notes.

Melody feels a bit lonely in the writing, it could use a backing track with a supllementary melody or something. Yes, you've got two tracks playing the same melody, but you could use a track playiong something different yet supporting.

As for source, I recognize some bits around 1:00 from source. No source link, no source to compare to except what I remember.

It also has an overall muddy sound. See if you can bring out the higher range more and the low mids or mid mids a bit less. EQ or multiband compressor. It's pretty good, tho. I think this could get on OCR if you can unmud the sound and fix most of the issues mentioned above. IMO, good chance to get on the site... eventually.

Not bad, i really really like this track. Though in my personal opinion near the end it gets cluttered and its like youre trying to do too much compared to the rest of the track. I think it'd be a lot better as a minimalist track. First half was much more strong.

The stuff at like 1:12 the samples you use, i love those and they seem to fit a lot better with the track and it's ambience better than the heavier synth. You already have a heavy bass line carrying it so the lighter samples really do that much more in this situation and avoid cluttering the soundstage.

Not bad, i really really like this track. Though in my personal opinion near the end it gets cluttered and its like youre trying to do too much compared to the rest of the track. I think it'd be a lot better as a minimalist track. First half was much more strong.

The stuff at like 1:12 the samples you use, i love those and they seem to fit a lot better with the track and it's ambience better than the heavier synth. You already have a heavy bass line carrying it so the lighter samples really do that much more in this situation and avoid cluttering the soundstage.

Thanks Dramon. But I'd rather not make it minimalistic =p