Mega Man 2 'Dr. Wily Stage 1 Orchestrated'

blue.nocturne

I've been busy all this summer, only having time for CMCs, so now that I have time I decided to do a remix! I know this is an extremely over-remixed song, but I don't think there is an orchestrated version yet. (or at least I hope so...)

http://files.filefront.com/Okkusenmanmp3/;11749480;/fileinfo.html Ver 1.0

http://files.filefront.com/Dr+Wily+Stage+1mp3/;11757885;/fileinfo.html Ver 1.5

http://files.filefront.com/Dr+Wily+ver+2mp3/;11814433;/fileinfo.html Ver 2.0!

Newest: http://files.filefront.com/Dr+Wily+Symphonicmp3/;11922864;/fileinfo.html FINAL

I tried to be a lot more dynamic with my orchestration doing this piece.

A few issues I am worried about are:

-the possibility that the orchestration is a little too aggressive

-that it may be too loud. (minimal compression is used)

-not different enough from the original song's structure

Hopefully the orchestration itself makes it unique enough to be considered OCR material.

I plan to add a solo section after where it ends, so it's not quite done yet.

Hope you guys like it so far.

Sounding very good, especially the sections that are not as aggressive, very beautiful! I like the louder stuff too, nice xylophone doubling there. Piano, too. Those parts have trouble with the strings sounding rather mechanical, non-natural. I feel a similar problem with the snare and xylophone there. It's not ruining it, but if you could work on that getting it sound more natural and dynamic, it would be great. The concluding part doesn't have that problem as much. As an arrangement I don't think it's too aggressive, I think it's a sound/sample-use problem. Trying to slow it down just a bit *might* be better with the samples you have, but I'm not an expert there..

I liked this a lot, keep working on it!

--Eino

It's a bit lacking in the bass department. My forte certainly isn't orchestral stuff, but as music goes, it feels like it's lacking... base. It's also mixed LOUD, compared to what I'm used to hear, but LOUD is better than "what?". Adding bass frequencies might even that out in the final EQ/compression stages.

Progression is the same old as in most remixes I've heard. Not sure I've ever heard the source, I know I can't remember the original version.

It's good, but I'm not really surprised. I mean, it's you. :D

This sounds like the skeleton of an excellent song.

Since it's so short, you will definitely want to play with the melodies and the overall structure. As it is I don't think it will pass the originality test. The orchestration is very good so far, though.

Try dropping the main melody at some point and having one of the instruments play an original solo, or maybe you could add a section with a key change.

Do what feels right and see how it sounds.

Something about the flute(?) at 1:00 is irking me, I can't place it right now. maybe it's just that I can't figure out if it is indeed a flute.

Oh yeah, it definitely sounds 'too loud'.

Personally, I think this might sound better if you made the tempo a little more dynamic. The steady fast tempo makes the soft sections sound a little rushed. If you extend those sections with some original content, this thing would be 100% better.

Keep working on this. It's a very good start.

Definitely like what you have going here. This is one of those songs, kinda like Super Metriod's "lower brinstar area" song that people love to remix, and yet, continue to come up with new and interesting ways of doing it.

Obviously it's a little short right now so I'm looking forward to seeing what else you might add to it.

Okay, I updated the song.

Link is in the first post and here: http://files.filefront.com/Dr+Wily+ver+2mp3/;11814433;/fileinfo.html

Hopefully most of the problems brought up were fixed/compensated for.

I decided to trade overall power for more quality (less compression damage), so it is slightly quieter. I changed the middle section to include a nice piano accompaniment and I fixed any strange sounding transitions. Also slightly extended, and it may sound concluded... but I hope I can transition it somehow to a repeat (with variations of course) and/or a solo section.

I looked for alternate lead violins, but this one seems to work best, despite how it sticks out. It either sticks out, or can't be heard at all, so of course I have to take the first option.

-I am having a lot of trouble adding any more realism, as this often results in the part becoming invisible, not fitting.

Even though the new piano can sound a bit unrealistic at times, I think it works.

-Slowing down certain sections resulted in drag, so more dynamic tempo will be planned in for the later sections hopefully.

Oh yes, and if you have trouble identifying instruments, it's because I use a lot of blending. For instance flute will be often mixed with oboe, clarinet and piccolo. So even though it may sound like a "solo" it most likely is actually blended with something else.

1:27, slowed down too fast so it didn't sound controlled.

0:36, rises to a hit and then does nothing. Hm... I don't think it's executed as good as it can be, and I'm not sure the idea is as good as it could be either. Whatever the problem, that transition needs work.

Other than that, it's all enjoyable. The lead violin might be a little too loud, could use a drop of a dB or two. I think that'll make it fit in better without being buried.

Still good. And it seems to have the bass range a little more covered now. Good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

'Heh...Not another Wily mix'

That was my first thought about this when I saw it. But then I said, ah whatever, an orchestrated mix might be worth it, I'll go ahead and give it a shot....Glad I did.

Out of all the wily mixes I've heard on OCR, I believe that was one of the more epic ones...Although, I do agree that it is a bit on the short side... 1:38 is a tease when it comes to a good song, and it certainly feels like this mix is capable of lasting a bit longer.

And then also, I feel like it might come on a bit too strong at the start, almost like it should start with a more basic, soft kind of start before leading up into the full fanfare.

And it seems like even after you did go into the fanfare, you suddenly dropped for half the song...To me, so many breaks like that betrayed the initial beat that you seemed to have set for the song. And although it at first seemed like it was going to make up for to make up for the interludes at 1:10, it suddenly dropped off into the end of the song...

So all in all it's a great thing you got going, though length, and the amount of interludes seems to throw it off a bit in my opinion.

Well, it wasn't done!! So don't say it's too short.

2:49 seems like a good enough length, so I consider it long enough now.

Hopefully most if not all the problems are fixed. Now I consider it completely done, unless someone finds something wrong with a certain section. I really don't want to do any major edits though.

The major changes made in this version is that I doubled certain parts that were too quiet, I changed the key from C minor to B minor (which I think fixed some balance issues and made bass better), and of course I added an original section and did a semi-repeat.

The original sections are 1:27 to 1:59, and of course the ending.

So I think it's in range of being original enough now...

I don't know if the key change benefited the song or not, I personally think it sounds better with the key change, but that may be because I was playing it over and over again so I was getting really tired of the original key. Any last opinions would be nice before I submit this.

A few issues I am worried about are:

-the possibility that the orchestration is a little too aggressive

-that it may be too loud. (minimal compression is used)

-not different enough from the original song's structure

Too aggressive? Nah, it's dynamic enough to have soft sections too, and they're by no means just there just for variation and length. 1:52 crash feels redundant, tho. The second iteration of the source could sue some changes, tho, that might be too repetitive.

Still a bit loud. How much apparent volume do you lose the compression? It's not unbearably loud, tho.

Well, considering the amount of orchestration involved here, it's gonna be good with the Js. I think. It's far from the midi-rips and covers, so I think you're in the green. You might wnat to check with a J before submitting. Or is it that _you_ aren't satisfied with how similar it is (and btw, it isn't).

Please take the time to answer the questions in this post.