OCR01753 - Solar Jetman "Diamond Worlds"

djpretzel

Hey, this is pretty good! One of the best recent remixes, in my book. I'm a sucker for that ping-pongy synth backdrop, and the melody instruments are deliciously buzzy and funky.

This reminds me a bit of GaMeBoX's kind of style, actually. You use lots of simple instruments to great effect, with a huge backbeat!

I think in general I preferred the first half to the second, but I enjoyed it throughout. Sweet ending chord, too!

(So zircon, what if I LIKE reverb-drenched songs, huh? Huh?!)

Yay, all hail Impulse Tracker!

I must admit that after the first few moments of this song I thought it's not exactly my cup of tea. To some extent that might still be true but there's still something quite interesting in there. The overall vibe is really authentic - the sounds really make me think the old NES and C64 games with soundtracks and chiptunesounds we all love. I also like the fact that, as mentioned in the official write-up, the sounds are dry and very minimal, and still manage to carry the song and create a really interesting mood and overall soundscape. The fact that its made with Impulse Tracker makes it all sweeter and is maybe one of the main factors in making this so authentic and retro. Aye, good 'ol IT. Back in the day I wouldn't touch any other software. Later I sold my soul to the endless possibilities of todays digital musicmaking tools. Sad.

Anyway, thanks!

I simply had to register to comment on this! I have been waiting for someone to take on solar jetman for years, and spent hours searching for remixes of it.

I think I had a tiny orgasm out of excitement when I saw this one. :)

Homever after listening to the song I have to say I am dissapointed, it didn't have the greatness the original songs had. I could barely hear the original tunes, let alone identify which original song it is based on.

After listening to this song a few times more, as well as the originals; my opinion is that this is a a pretty good piece of music by itself, but as a solar jetman remix it didn't feel very good to me. Besides that I could barely notice any similarity to the originals, it also lacked the simple, ambient yet melodious tunes the original had that made it so great. Too much drums and other noice in this one.

I am looking forward to the rest of the Solar Jetman remixes you are working on tho. I hope some of them will be more to my liking! :)

In any case, applauds to you for even attempting something that, to my knowledge, no one else have tried and succeeded.

Besides that I could barely notice any similarity to the originals, it also lacked the simple, ambient yet melodious tunes the original had that made it so great. Too much drums and other noice in this one.

if you can't hear that it's from Shammy Gen (planet 10) then you're not a real solar jetman fan ;P

just kidding bro, i hear ya, there's a lot of original stuff in there. but the bass line throughout the entire first part (which turns into a melody in the second) is basically the only thing that is in the original song, so yeah - if that's not enough then i don't know how to please you ;)

Edited by Platonist

just wanted to add:

i noticed that i mistyped in the submission email..

Shammy Gen is Planet 10 (as i said before in this thread).. not Planet 11 (as it says in the submission thread)

also if you're unfamilliar with the game's awesomeness,

check this guy's videos out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ferret5317

he's pretty good actually ^^ nice walkthrough/speedrun/whatever vids

Edited by Platonist

I must say, that this is by far one of the best ReMixes I've heard so far. Solar Jetman is very close to my heart (a game of my youth). Shammy Gen's theme is my second favorite theme from the game (neck-and-neck second behind Preludon), so I was truly glad to hear such a well composed ReMix of it.

I've listened to this song for 9 hours straight (throughout an entire workday), and I can easily say it helped me get through the day. I would go so far as to say this song is glorious, and I personally prefer to reserve the use of that word for the REALLY good stuff. Stuff so good it glows.

I look forward to hearing your future SJ ReMixes!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm beginning to realize that I'm quite in love with tracker music. I love the chiptune vibe carried through this whole mix. It's got a great bounce and a nice rythmic thump to it. There's just an energy to these pure synth/chiptune/tracker mixes that I love. They're pretentiously lo-fi, and they don't care if anyone knows it. They're what you'd get if an elitist orchestral mix let its hair down and danced on the table. Pure fun and phat beats. Good work, and nice groove.

• 5 weeks later...
I SOOO used to play this game ALL the time back in the day. I doubt ppl would find it impressive these days but it was SO much fun..

http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/solar-jetman-hunt-for-the-golden-warpship/screenshots

yes indeed, it's a very rare piece of gaming, i too played it alot and that's why i decided to remix it, cause no one seemed to even have heard of it - not even pretzel himself 8O

love the gravity simulation in SJ, it takes true skill to complete this game - skill that i don't have myself - i have only played through this game once (from planet 1-12) without a game over screen .. and it's been on my shelf for over a decade ^^

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This remix is so great that it is highly enjoyable...even by my girlfriend! (trying to get her into OCR). It is a pretty laid back song and I really love the beat! Similar in funkyness to DHS' Human Race remix.

Great work and keep it up!

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01753 - Solar Jetman "Diamond Worlds"